1. weedhopper
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 22:34
    You know the passage where the disciples are all astonished when the Lord announces that one of their very number will betray him and send him to His death? And they ask "Is it I, Lord?.... And Jesus tells them point blank, it's thye guy who will next dip his bread in the gravy (or something like that.

My question is, why does the next verse begin, "And the 11 remaining disciples buried Judas thhe next day, and then elected a new treasurer."?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 01:46
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    You know the passage where the disciples are all astonished when the Lord announces that one of their very number will betray him and send him to His death? And they ask "Is it I, Lord?.... And Jesus tells them point blank, it's thye guy who will next dip his bread in the gravy (or something like that.

My question is, why does the next verse begin, "And the 11 remaining disciples buried Judas thhe next day, and then elected a new treasurer."?
    Show the reference.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 04:36
    unnecessary--everyone whose sudied the scriptures, even a cursory inspection, would be familiar with thenpassage.
  4. England
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 10:03

I can not remember any reference to him being treasurer, one of the fold was a tax collecter if anybody was in charge of finance probibly him, tho why they would need it when jesus could feed thousands , fill nets to breaking point, turn water to wine, doubt the group were in danger of being broke and begging.
    Anyway judas gets a bad press overall, similar to magdaline she was no pro
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 10:30
    Originally posted by stoker
    I can not remember any reference to him being treasurer
    John 12:6

[Judas] did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 11:041 edit

Well, I think you are confused over the details. The election of a new apostle is not in any of the gospels; it happens in Acts 1. I am not, however, aware of any Scripture story in which the apostles bury Judas. Matthew reports that Judas killed himself at the altar of the Temple while Acts suggests that Judas' guts spilled out. It is not clear how or where Judas died and it is unlikely he would have been afforded the privilege of a burial.

Judas was, according to tradition, a treasurer since the gospels report he carried the money. The succession to Judas, however, was not specifically about any treasury:

"Wherefore of these men who have companied with us, all the time that the Lord Jesus came in and went out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John, until the day wherein he was taken up from us, one of these must be made a witness with us of his resurrection. 23 And they appointed two, Joseph, called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24 And praying, they said: You, Lord, who know the heart of all men, show whether of these two you have chosen, 25 to take the place of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas has by transgression fallen, that he might go to his own place. 26 And they gave them lot, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleven apostles." Acts 1:21-26
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 14:13

I think you may have left out a small word when posing your question, which is leading to the confusion. Did you mean to ask why the next verse does not describe the other apostles acting upon the revelation provided by the Lord Jesus Christ regarding Judas' future betrayal?
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 14:44

Are you reading the oldtestofcrap, or the newtestofcrap. There's a subtle difference.

As for believing in J.K.Rowling stories I'd leave 'The Bible' and such fiction aside, and get on with life as we know it, Spock.

Life's so much more fun without having to answer to NOTHING. After all, we're just animals, same as the others. These God believers think they are important, and have an important pastime, yet they unduly rip atheism apart and judge as if there is no tomorrow. Well there isn't one. hehe. We die and that's it! Gone! Energy diffused into another star.

I love the Bible, for entertainment, like I enjoy Viz. It contains pretty much the same content, less pictures.

Oooooh! Confrontation is such a wonderful piece of styrofoam on the internet. 😀

-Louis Pasteur.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 14:54

John 13:18-30 (King James Version)

18I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

19Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.

20Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

21When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

22Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.

23Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.

24Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.

25He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?

26Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

27And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

28Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him.

29For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

30He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night.

Is this the passage in question? I assume so, but its hard because you wouldnt clarify when asked. Assuming it is, I see no where that Judas was buried and a treasurer elected?! I think you are combining scripture with some other source you may of heard from in the past.
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 14:56
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    29For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

Judas had a bag?

Was he from San Francisco? 😕
  11. England
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 11:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    John 12:6

[Judas] did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
    this i know.. but thats like saying a security gaurd who moves money around is the treasurer. and as for him being a thief why did he throw away the 30 pieces, seems that after jesus death they pointed the finger at him.
    but if you read the gospel of judas jesus told him he would assend to heaven by him, so he did what was expected of him.
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 04:24
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Are you reading the oldtestofcrap, or the newtestofcrap. There's a subtle difference.

As for believing in J.K.Rowling stories I'd leave 'The Bible' and such fiction aside, and get on with life as we know it, Spock.

Life's so much more fun without having to answer to NOTHING. After all, we're just animals, same as the others. These God believers think ...[text shortened]... frontation is such a wonderful piece of styrofoam on the internet. 😀

-Louis Pasteur.
    I would like to report this to those who call themselves moderators. Can anyone tell me how mone goes about geting offensive people sanctioned from posting?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree