1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 May '05 15:551 edit
    Dr. Scribs has another post in another thread that reminds me of a story. This woman's mother is big in the Catholic Church. She was at her daughter's Easter dinner, and she always brings some holy water, says a prayer... and splashes each of the people at the table.

Her grand children were there, and their children they had BEFORE being married. Well, she's splashing around and saying prayers, and someone says, 'you skipped (so-and-so).'

Well she just looked at them, and kept going around the table skipping the people she knows have and are 'living in sin'.

Now, don't you think these people need the blessing the most? Why only bless the people who don't sin? (I know, we all sin… That is besides the point.)

I just don't get this mind set. These people need blessing most, in my mind.

ES
  2. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 May '05 16:06
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    some holey water
    Now there is an interesting phenomena. 😉

In this case the woman in question is more interested in making herself feel "correct" in her viewpoint than seeking to genuinely help others. I agree, a little splash for the sinful would have been the more compassionate act.

3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 May '05 16:16
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Now there is an interesting phenomena. 😉

In this case the woman in question is more interested in making herself feel "correct" in her viewpoint than seeking to genuinely help others. I agree, a little splash for the sinful would have been the more compassionate act.

LOL! I guess that's better than had I said Wholey Water... but not much.

ES
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    19 May '05 16:39
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Dr. Scribs has another post in another thread that reminds me of a story. This woman's mother is big in the Catholic Church. She was at her daughter's Easter dinner, and she always brings some holy water, says a prayer... and splashes each of the people at the table.

Her grand children were there, and their children they had BEFORE being married. ...[text shortened]... oint.)

I just don't get this mind set. These people need blessing most, in my mind.

ES
    Frankly, the mother is a self-righteous so and so who is going to get the shock of her afterlife when she sees some of the riff-raff who get into heaven.

Assuming she gets there herself, of course...

I of course am probably guilty of similar judgmental thoughts about people sometimes, but to actually deliberately skip some of your own descendants at dinner?! Forget the spiritual 'blessing' angle, it's showing a complete lack of love. How screwed up are those kids going to be knowing that their grandmother thinks they're not worth a blessing?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree