Jewish translation anyone?

Jewish translation anyone?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
03 Feb 10
1 edit

I am not intending to be a troll or anything though I understand my request may raise a few heckles in some quarters.

I have mentioned before that one of my customers is a Young Earth Creationist (YEC). He has been doing some testing of our software and I noticed that in one of his reports there is a screenshot of a test session in which he sends the message "yeshua adoni" to our application. Since our application does not recognise the message, it just logs it and carries on.

I looked up "yeshua adoni" on Google and it appears to translate as "Christ is Lord" or something like that. I thought it might be nice if the application did recognise the message and responded with a pantomime "Oh no he isn't!" or "Christ is probably not Lord" or "You sure it's not Vishnu, Allah or Thor?" or something like that.

Would someone who knows the language (vistesd?) be able to translate one of these into Jewish for me?

--- Penguin.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
03 Feb 10

(Hebrew. The language is Hebrew.)

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
03 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Penguin
I am not intending to be a troll or anything though I understand my request may raise a few heckles in some quarters.

I have mentioned before that one of my customers is a Young Earth Creationist (YEC). He has been doing some testing of our software and I noticed that in one of his reports there is a screenshot of a test session in which he sends the mess e (vistesd?) be able to translate one of these into Jewish for me?

--- Penguin.
this is Jewish translation:

what? so our phone is broken? translation: why havn't you called your mother?

Oi! I guess I was a bad father oi! translation: why havn't you come for dinner lately?

You call them shoes? I've seen nicer shoes on a butcher! translation: I want to fix you up with the loenstien boy he just graduated medical school. Oi! what a catch!

This? This is what you waste your college education on? translation: Mother and I want to retire in Florida, please take over the family business.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Feb 10

I looked up "yeshua adoni" on Google and it appears to translate as "Christ is Lord" or something like that.
That might be what people mean, but it is far from a direct translation.
According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua
Yeshua comes from Joshua and is a more accurate pronunciation of "Jesus" - though it isn't clear to me whether Jesus' name came from Joshua.

Christ on the other hand seems to be from Greek meaning "the anointed one".

Though both 'Jesus' and 'Christ' are normally used in English to refer to the same person, it seems odd that you substituted one for the other during the translation.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Feb 10
2 edits

I have mentioned before that one of my customers is a Young Earth Creationist (YEC). He has been doing some testing of our software and I noticed that in one of his reports there is a screenshot of a test session in which he sends the mess e (vistesd?) be able to translate one of these into Jewish for me?

--- Penguin.
Try this website.

http://www.iosart.com/nlp/heb_enc_dec.html

The beauty of this one is that you can cut and paste the Hebrew characters and make it even more 'intriguing' for him to figure out what the 'secret message' is.

Or, this one for Greek:

http://stevemorse.org/greek/eng2grk.html

j

Moves
03 Feb 10

I have mentioned before that one of my customers is a Young Earth Creationist (YEC). He has been doing some testing of our software and I noticed that in one of his reports there is a screenshot of a test session in which he sends the mess ...[text shortened]... e (vistesd?) be able to translate one of these into Jewish for me?

--- Penguin.
You may need a Jewish Operating System.

Try converting the company to Yeshiva 3.0

P

Moves
03 Feb 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Try this website.

http://www.iosart.com/nlp/heb_enc_dec.html

The beauty of this one is that you can cut and paste the Hebrew characters and make it even more 'intriguing' for him to figure out what the 'secret message' is.

Or, this one for Greek:

http://stevemorse.org/greek/eng2grk.html
That's brilliant but I only have ascii at my disposal!

--- Penguin

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Feb 10

--- Penguin
Guess I'll have to keep looking for ya...

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Feb 10

I have mentioned before that one of my customers is a Young Earth Creationist (YEC). He has been doing some testing of our software and I noticed that in one of his reports there is a screenshot of a test session in which he sends the mess ...[text shortened]... e (vistesd?) be able to translate one of these into Jewish for me?

--- Penguin.
Sorry, I’m a rank beginner at modern Hebrew. There is no “is” (or “are” ) verb in modern Hebrew. The “i” ending, as on adoni, is generally possessive: literally “Yeshua [Jesus] my-lord”.

You could say: Lo sheli, “not mine”. Or: ein adonim, “there are no lords/masters”.

Maryland

Moves
04 Feb 10

In his life, Jesus (the Greekification) was known as Joshua of Nazarith. Joshua is the the English version of Yeshua. jThis is my understanding. I learned this somewhere along the way, but I am not a scholar so I can't certify this translation to be correct.

rc

Moves
04 Feb 10

Originally posted by 667joe
In his life, Jesus (the Greekification) was known as Joshua of Nazarith. Joshua is the the English version of Yeshua. jThis is my understanding. I learned this somewhere along the way, but I am not a scholar so I can't certify this translation to be correct.
Jesus [Latin form of the Greek Iesous, which corresponds to the Hebrew, Yeshua or Yehohshua and means “Jehovah Is Salvation”].

rc

Moves
04 Feb 10

--- Penguin
there is some Hebrew in the Christian Greek scriptures, well actually Aramaic

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?

but its close enough to the Hebrew below

Eli, Eli, lamah azavtani (my God my God why have you forsaken me)

P

Moves
09 Feb 10

Originally posted by vistesd
Sorry, I’m a rank beginner at modern Hebrew. There is no “is” (or “are” ) verb in modern Hebrew. The “i” ending, as on adoni, is generally possessive: literally “Yeshua [Jesus] my-lord”.

You could say: Lo sheli, “not mine”. Or: ein adonim, “there are no lords/masters”.
Thanks all. It looks like I will be updating this program so some kind of response will go in. I quite like Lo sheli.

--- Penguin