1. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 20:58
    Alright, I'm curious: many major religions like Christianity, Islam, etc. often borrow from Jewish culture as the "birthplace" of their religion. How do the Jews feel about this? Is it amusing? Insulting? Do you feel it's right or a twisting of God speaking to you? Just curious. Also, I grew up having read the Torah, but as an adult I came to realize there are several Jewish books like the Talmud that are not normally recounted as being part of Jewish lore, but they seem to be. What do Jews consider sacred text?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:072 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorDara
    Alright, I'm curious: many major religions like Christianity, Islam, etc. often borrow from Jewish culture as the "birthplace" of their religion. How do the Jews feel about this? Is it amusing? Insulting? Do you feel it's right or a twisting of God speaking to you? Just curious. Also, I grew up having read the Torah, but as an adult I came to realize ther ...[text shortened]... ounted as being part of Jewish lore, but they seem to be. What do Jews consider sacred text?
    I love the way Skeptics, Agnostics, and Athiests always go to the Jews and say "Are you gonna take that? Get in there and fight those Christians."

I have seen more skeptics hide behind the coat tails of the Jews thusting them forward to oppose the gospel of Christ by remote control.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:13
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I love the way Skeptics, Agnostics, and Athiests always go to the Jews and say "Are you gonna take that? Get in there and fight those Christians."

I have seen more skeptics hide behind the coat tails of the Jews thusting them forward to oppose the gospel of Christ by remote control.
    Are you saying the Jews control Hollywood and the media?
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:173 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Am I saying the Jews control Hollywood and the media ???

If so my spelling is worse than I ever imagined.

Is there something else that you heard me say ?
  5. The sky
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:18

What does this have to do with DoctorDara's post? By the way, I have never heard or seen any skeptic, agnostic or atheist do this.
  6. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:23
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    They used to, now it's the Japanese 😠
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:23
    Am I saying the Jews control Hollywood and the media ???

If so my spelling is worse than I ever imagined.

Is there something else that you heard me say ?
    You mentioned "remote control." I took that to mean something about the TV.
  8. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:24
    Alright, I'm curious: many major religions like Christianity, Islam, etc. often borrow from Jewish culture as the "birthplace" of their religion. How do the Jews feel about this? Is it amusing? Insulting? Do you feel it's right or a twisting of God speaking to you? Just curious. Also, I grew up having read the Torah, but as an adult I came to realize ther ...[text shortened]... ounted as being part of Jewish lore, but they seem to be. What do Jews consider sacred text?
    so are you implying that Buddhism and Hinduism and other religions owe everything to Judism? a bit much.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:251 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    What does this have to do with DoctorDara's post? By the way, I have never heard or seen any skeptic, agnostic or atheist do this.
    The subtlety may be lost on you. But it is not lost on me.

Let the discussion begin. I think it is an interesting topic. But I think I know what the Doc is up to because I have seen it much.

People who are very skeptical about sacred or divinely inspired writings become unusually interested in them when they counter the claims of the New Testament.

This is like having a common enemy, you see. Jesus brings people together to oppose Him. Like the Herodians and the Pharisees became friends because they had a common enemy in Christ. Otherwise they would not stand each other.

Christ unites people to oppose His teaching.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 21:49
    The subtlety may be lost on you. But it is not lost on me.

Let the discussion begin. I think it is an interesting topic. But I think I know what the Doc is up to because I have seen it much.

People who are very skeptical about sacred or divinely inspired writings become unusually interested in them when they counter the claims of the New Testament.
    ...[text shortened]... ist. Otherwise they would not stand each other.

Christ unites people to oppose His teaching.
    I think you are jumping to conclusions and see what you want to see. Maybe you want to be hated. From the posts by DoctorDara I have seen, I can't see anything pointing in the direction that he hates Christians.
  11. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 16:23
    I don't hate Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddists. I was not attempting to be an ass, I asked an honest question. I was raised Christian, consider myself Christian through salvation. However, it has also occurred to me that I was raised in a Christian setting where I was constantly told that the Jewish scripture is simply the Old Testament. Some of my research into Muslim scripture revealed that Jews also consider the Talmud to be scripture and I previously was only aware of the Torah. I want to hear what the Jews think of their offshoot religions. Amused? Angry? Mildly mocking? Indifferent? Different in x or y respect? Think they're a cult because they fail to pass x or y standards? I don't know, but I'm interested in finding out.
  12. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 16:26
    Originally posted by mochiron
    so are you implying that Buddhism and Hinduism and other religions owe everything to Judism? a bit much.
    They don't owe "everything", but many religions including Buddism borrow from Jewish history to create their own religion. It is a recognition of the contribution Jews have made upon the religious field, not a claim that they are the absolute authority.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 17:14

What a bunch of absolute rubbish. As an atheist, I find Christianity and Judaism to equally ridiculous. But as Christianity is an evangelical religion, and Judaism is not, Christianity is by far the more contemptible of the two.
  14. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 17:22
    There are secular Jews (who only observe some holidays and customs but are not religious), Reform Jews, Conservative Jews, Orthodox Jews and even Messianic Jews. You would probably want to check Jewish web sites to compare beliefs. As you have probably already noticed, you'll not get much help here.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 00:05
    They don't owe "everything", but many religions including Buddism borrow from Jewish history to create their own religion. It is a recognition of the contribution Jews have made upon the religious field, not a claim that they are the absolute authority.
    I wonder what do you think Islam did borrow?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree