1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 18:38
    if i take up judaism do i become a jew at the same time?
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 18:45
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    if i take up judaism do i become a jew at the same time?
    no...being a jew is hereditary.
  3. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 03:48
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    no...being a jew is hereditary.
    but then, if a Jew converted to Christianity, say, he/she would still be a Jew. that doesn't seem right.
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 03:52
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    but then, if a Jew converted to Christianity, say, he/she would still be a Jew. that doesn't seem right.
    Jews are Christians! 😲
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:041 edit
    Xe would be called an Evangelistic Jew.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:04
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Jews are Christians! 😲
    No they aren't.
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:06
    No they aren't.
    😛 I knew somebody would! 😛
  8. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:08
    He would be called an Evangelistic Jew.
    why wouldn't he be called a Christian, like anyone else who converted to Christianity? in fact, the Spanish Inquisition was only too happy to 'persuade' Jews to become Christians, and those who did so were regarded as Christians henceforth.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:13
    why wouldn't he be called a Christian, like anyone else who converted to Christianity? in fact, the Spanish Inquisition was only too happy to 'persuade' Jews to become Christians, and those who did so were regarded as Christians henceforth.
    If you are jewish you will always be jewish no matter what your religion is. I know many jews who are atheists... it does not matter...they are still jewish and the only way to be jewish is to be born jewish.
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:191 edit
    If you are jewish you will always be jewish no matter what your religion is. I know many jews who are atheists... it does not matter...they are still jewish and the only way to be jewish is to be born jewish.
    You can convert to some branches of Judaism.

http://tinyurl.com/37me32
    to save you the trouble of saying "no you can't"
  11. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:25
    i think the confusion is arising from the fact that terms like 'Jew' and 'Jewish' can refer either to a person's ethnicity or their religion. Many people are Jewish in both senses, but I believe it is possible to be Jewish in just one of these senses (either one). Converting to Judaism would make one Jewish in a religious sense, but not in an ethnic sense. A Jew who converted to Christianity would be Jewish ethnically, but not in terms of their religion. Same for the atheist.
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:28
    i think the confusion is arising from the fact that terms like 'Jew' and 'Jewish' can refer either to a person's ethnicity or their religion. Many people are Jewish in both senses, but I believe it is possible to be Jewish in just one of these senses (either one). Converting to Judaism would make one Jewish in a religious sense, but not in an ethnic sens ...[text shortened]... anity would be Jewish ethnically, but not in terms of their religion. Same for the atheist.
    But the atheist doesn't believe in Judaism or Christianity, so why would he convert? 😉
  13. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:43
    Originally posted by mikelom
    But the atheist doesn't believe in Judaism or Christianity, so why would he convert? 😉
    he might acquire belief, just as someone who believes may cease to do so and become atheist.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:44
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    You can convert to some branches of Judaism.

http://tinyurl.com/37me32
    to save you the trouble of saying "no you can't"
    You can convert to judaism but that doesn't make you "jewish"
  15. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:49
    You can convert to judaism but that doesn't make you "jewish"
    it makes you Jewish in the religious sense i distinguished above, but not in the ethnic sense. if someone who had converted to Judaism had to state their relgion on a form, they could properly state 'Jewish'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree