1. FRANCE
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 15:56
    Hi,

I've just a question. In fact, my parents are from the adventist church.
    they go to the church on saturday, like the Jews.
    But, in the Bible, saturday is mentioned like the day of worship. Why the catholics go to the church Sunday? I don't understand. Sunday doesn't have a biblical base, as day of worship.

Thank you for your answers, it is just a mystery for me.
    Cordially
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 16:04
    Originally posted by Ombeline
    Hi,

But, in the Bible, saturday is mentioned like the day of worship. Why the catholics go to the church Sunday? I don't understand. Sunday doesn't have a biblical base, as day of worship.

Cordially
    As the Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on that day, the Sabbath was replaced by the celebration of the New Covenant.
  3. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 18:47
    Hi,

Cordially
    From Wikipedia:

Seventh-day Adventists believe that Saturday, the seventh day of the week, is the Sabbath, based on the commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11 which reads, "the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God". They observe this as a 24-hour sunset-to-sunset Sabbath commencing Friday evening. Justification for this belief is garnered from the creation account in Genesis in which God rested on the seventh-day, an approach later immortalised in the Ten Commandments. To the Adventist the Sabbath represents a communion between them, God and their fellow man. The Sabbath is a celebration of God's creation and gift of redemption. [1]

According to Seventh-day Adventist doctrine, Saturday worship is a crucial defining feature of the remnant church. Traditional Adventist eschatology describes a "time of trouble" which culminates in a mandatory worldwide Sunday law, including a death penalty for any who do not comply. Under such a threat, many will succumb and only the faithful remnant will continue to observe Saturday.

It should be noted, however, that although Seventh-day Adventists do not believe that they are saved by keeping Saturday as the Sabbath, they attach considerably greater significance to Saturday-Sabbath keeping than other denominations attach to worship on Sunday.
  4. Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '06 00:59
    Hi,

Cordially
    Its simply more convenient!
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    25 Jan '06 01:24
    Hi,

Cordially
    With all the changing calendars over time, it is unlikely that either Sat or Sun is the actual seventh day (if we assume the Genesis 6-day creation story). I think it's just important for you crazy worshippers (meant in a nice way) to keep a seventh day holy.
  6. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    25 Jan '06 11:41
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    From Wikipedia:

Seventh-day Adventists believe that Saturday, the seventh day of the week, is the Sabbath, based on the commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11 which reads, "the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God". They observe this as a 24-hour sunset-to-sunset Sabbath commencing Friday evening. Justification for this belief is garnered from ...[text shortened]... nificance to Saturday-Sabbath keeping than other denominations attach to worship on Sunday.
    from the Fifth Tablet of the Enuma Elish which predates the genesis account.

15. "At the beginning of the month, when thou shinest upon the land,

16. "Thou commandest the horns to determine six days,

17. "And on the seventh day to [divide] the crown.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Jan '06 03:47
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    from the Fifth Tablet of the Enuma Elish which predates the genesis account.

15. "At the beginning of the month, when thou shinest upon the land,

16. "Thou commandest the horns to determine six days,

17. "And on the seventh day to [divide] the crown.
    Froggie comes up with another disconnected bit of trivia.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Jan '06 07:04
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Froggie comes up with another disconnected bit of trivia.
    Perhaps you flunked join-the-dots at school?

I'm grateful for your ignorant obstinacy, though, as it has led me to an interesting place-- http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/295_issue_12_volume_4_number_2__3_20_2003.asp -- in which the following appears, for the general edification of the forum:

"The symbolic meaning of the number 7, and of the 7 days, also harks back to the lunar calendar which, in Mesopotamia, had quite early been divided into 4 phases of the moon, of 7 days each, followed (beginning with the 28th day) by the 3-day disappearance of the moon—thus equally 30 days. The Babylonian epic of creation, Enuma elish—which itself consists of 7 tablets—has the god Marduk appointing the moon to four 7-day periods: "Thou shalt have luminous horns to signify six days, on the seventh day reaching a half-crown" (Pritchard, p. 68). On the seventh day of these lunar weeks one was counseled to abstain from a variety of ordinary activities because of the dangers involved during the critical transitions of the lunar progression. According to one ritual text, seers were not to give oracles, physicians to administer to the sick, or the king to change clothing, ride in a chariot, hold court, eat cooked meat, or offer sacrifices (Barton, p. 258 f.). The day of the full moon was known as shapattu, which has a probable relation to the Hebrew term for sabbath, shabbat, and shabat, "stop working." This day is referred to in the Mesopotamian cuneiform texts as the "day of the quieting of the heart."
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Jan '06 15:12
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Perhaps you flunked join-the-dots at school?
    Quite the opposite, however, I was one who questioned from whence the paper, the ink came. Anyone who drags out the Gilgamesh-as-progenitor crap, however, deserves to sit and stew in their excrement.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 06:55
    Anyone who drags out the Gilgamesh-as-progenitor crap, however, deserves to sit and stew in their excrement.
    Have a banana.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 16:45
    Have a banana.
    Only if you peel it first.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 07:31
    Only if you peel it first.
    *peels banana*

I'd like to know why you were reduced to frothing chimp-speak by frogstomp's post, which was an honest answer to Ombeline's question.
  13. Joined
    12 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 09:18
    Hi,

The saturday is based on the biblical sabbat. The change to sunday was made because christians believe that Jesus rised from the dead on the third day after he was crusified. In fact a Sunday.
    Because the rising from the dead gives us the opportunity to enjoy eternal life and is the most important fact in the bible christians celebrate this fact every sunday.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 09:24
    *peels banana*

I'd like to know why you were reduced to frothing chimp-speak by frogstomp's post, which was an honest answer to Ombeline's question.
    *shrugs, eats banana*
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 09:45
    *shrugs, eats banana*
    *Freaky lost in Montana*

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree