JW Question

JW Question

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by menace71
Col 2 taken from biblegateway.com

16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. 18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship o ...[text shortened]... p being defrauded by the world. Paul was fighting against cults and frauds in that day.

Manny
Whatever dude....

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]to avoid some activity or the use of some substance, such as alcohol, drugs, sex, or food.

Exactly. So you need to explain why abstaining from blood should mean anything more than the avoidance of blood qua food.

It would seem this word abstain in the Bible has a clear and simple meaning in the Bible about blood. Do not use it in any ...[text shortened]... t Acts 15.29 allows the use of blood "a little". You are setting up a strawman argument.
You are really serious aren't you? How can someone who seems to be so educated not see what the bible says on blood.......

Ok then lets try this from another Biblical view of blood and what blood means to God.
First do you have any comprehention of the value of blood? Is it viewed by God as just a body part like an arm or stomach or eye?
There was only one use of blood that God ever approved, namely, for sacrifice. He directed that those under the Mosaic Law offer animal sacrifices to make atonement for sin. It was also in harmony with His will that His Son, Jesus Christ, offered up his perfect human life as a sacrifice for sins.

Look at Le 17:10-16 and see what it says:
As for any man of the house of Israel or some alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst who eats any sort of blood, I shall certainly set my face against the soul that is eating the blood, and I shall indeed cut him off from among his people. 11 For the soul of the flesh is in the blood, and I myself have put it upon the altar for YOU to make atonement for YOUR souls, because it is the blood that makes atonement by the soul in it. 12 That is why I have said to the sons of Israel: “No soul of you must eat blood and no alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst should eat blood.”
13 “‘As for any man of the sons of Israel or some alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst who in hunting catches a wild beast or a fowl that may be eaten, he must in that case pour its blood out and cover it with dust. 14 For the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood by the soul in it. Consequently I said to the sons of Israel: “YOU must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh, because the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.” 15 As for any soul that eats a body [already] dead or something torn by a wild beast, whether a native or an alien resident, he must in that case wash his garments and bathe in water and be unclean until the evening; and he must be clean. 16 But if he will not wash them and will not bathe his flesh, he must then answer for his error.’”

I have to leave for a bit but really ponder on these scriptures about God's view of blood, what he said we can and cannot do with it and why he said this..................

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by galveston75
Whatever dude....
You don't think that Paul's explicit statement that it is wrong to condemn anyone for eating or abstaining from certain foods has some bearing on this discussion?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Dec 11

You are really serious aren't you? How can someone who seems to be so educated not see what the bible says on blood.......

Ok then lets try this from another Biblical view of blood and what blood means to God.
First do you have any comprehention of the value of blood? Is it viewed by God as just a body part like an arm or stomach or eye?
There w ...[text shortened]... iew of blood, what he said we can and cannot do with it and why he said this..................
Can you spell out for me what relevance this has to Acts 15.29 and the use of blood tranfusions?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Dec 11

You don't think that Paul's explicit statement that it is wrong to condemn anyone for eating or abstaining from certain foods has some bearing on this discussion?
Where did he mention blood in those verses?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Dec 11

Can you spell out for me what relevance this has to Acts 15.29 and the use of blood tranfusions?
Acts 15:29
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols----- and from blood---- and from things strangled---- and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

You seriously don't see it? This is amazing.......

Ok, I'll try this again.

29 that you "abstain" and "stay free" from......

#1) things sacrificed to idols
#2) and from blood
#3) and from things strangled
#4 and from fornication
if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

Do you not see that 4 things are mentioned here? Right?

#1 speaks of anything including food or animal that was sacrificed to idols. Make sense?

#2 mentions blood. Does not mention food, eating of blood but simply the word BLOOD is said.

#3 mentions keep free from any animals that were strangled. Do not eat is the point. Make sense?

#4 says fornication? Easy enough?

So why and how you keep thinking the term blood here is simply referring to the eating of blood makes no sense as then it specifily mentions things strangled which clearly is speaking of eating. If it were only eating then it wouldn't have seperated those commands and it would have simply been (((((( 1 ))))))) saying "do not eat blood".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Dec 11

29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols----- and from blood---- and from things strangled---- and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

You seriously don't see it? This is amazing.......

Ok, I'll try this again.

New A ...[text shortened]... hose commands and it would have simply been (((((( 1 ))))))) saying "do not eat blood".
#2 mentions blood. Does not mention food, eating of blood but simply the word BLOOD is said.

#3 mentions keep free from any animals that were strangled. Do not eat is the point. Make sense?

Right, from context, you infer that abstaining from strangled meat means simply 'to not eat strangled meat'. I do not see why this same reasoning does not apply to #2. You have failed to supply anything remotely evidential on this matter, except your emphatic exclamations of 'BLOOD' which are quite frankly disturbing.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Dec 11

Where did he mention blood in those verses?
He didn't. Why, does he, when saying that no food is forbidden, have to catalogue every imaginable kind of food? Or do you believe that blood is excepted here?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Dec 11
2 edits

He didn't. Why, does he, when saying that no food is forbidden, have to catalogue every imaginable kind of food? Or do you believe that blood is excepted here?
Uh..because blood is not food in God's eyes as was believed in all his people starting from Noah. It's really not this complicated.............

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by 667joe
I believe I am correct that JWs will not accept blood transfusions. I would like to know if a JW would donate blood to save the life of some one else.

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
No blood.
I dont normally dip into the bash JWs posts - I think their beliefs as barmy as any other theism - but dont know why other Christians want to hassle them?

I understand and respect their prohibition on blood transfusions (but think that it should be illegal for them to impose this on their children)

I am surprised that they are not allowed to GIVE blood. Maybe I'm just a naif when it comes to religion but I am SURPRISED. Is this an interpretation of the bible Robbie or a JW add-on? Is giving blood seen as "aiding & abetting" or a sin in itself?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
No blood.
I dont normally dip into the bash JWs posts - I think their beliefs as barmy as any other theism - but dont know why other Christians want to hassle them?

I understand and respect their prohibition on blood transfusions (but think that it should be illegal for them to impose this on their children)

I am surprised that they are not allowed to GIVE blood. Maybe I'm just a naif when it comes to religion but I am SURPRISED. Is this an interpretation of the bible Robbie or a JW add-on? Is giving blood seen as "aiding & abetting" or a sin in itself?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Dec 11

Uh..because blood is not food in God's eyes as was believed in all his people starting from Noah. It's really not this complicated.............
Blood ought not be a food. That is what Leviticus demonstrated. Nonetheless, in Acts 15.29, blood is mentioned along with strangled meats. The implications is that these are foods, albeit illicit ones.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59

I am surprised that they are not allowed to GIVE bl ...[text shortened]... bible Robbie or a JW add-on? Is giving blood seen as "aiding & abetting" or a sin in itself?
Well thanks for your comments, I think, but we understand that blood is a sacred possession to God. And the way all scriptures speak of blood, god views it as life in itself because obviously we couldn't live without it.
He speaks of other parts of the body but never speaks of them as he does blood as even in the case of his son Jesus. It was only by his shed blood and the losing of it do we all have the chance to gain "life".
Life, death and blood are always spoken of together in one way or the other in the Bible.
The scriptures like the one I quoted earlier says that the life in any being is in it's blood.
So God speaks of blood as being very special and even says at times he would "ask for the blood back" from ones who have shed it in killing another human.
So there are many scriptures that express that all blood belongs to him and not to us. We do not have the "authority" to shed it or take it or use it in any other way then what God intended it's use to be for.

"In the Bible, the soul is said to be in the blood because blood is so intimately involved in the life processes. God’s Word says: “For the soul of the flesh is in the blood, and I myself have put it upon the altar for you to make atonement for your souls, because it is the blood that makes atonement by the soul in it.” (Le 17:11) For like reason, but making the connection even more direct, the Bible says: “The soul of every sort of flesh is its blood.” (Le 17:14) Clearly, God’s Word treats both life and blood as sacred." Insight book vl 1.

So to answer the question about donating it is the fact that we have not been given the authority to use it in that way. To do so would be putting the "life or soul" of one person into another. Again I can't stress this enough...we do not have the authority to do that!!!!!
I would bet most here would never think of blood in this way..............

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Dec 11

Well thanks for your comments, I think, but we understand that blood is a sacred possession to God. And the way all scriptures speak of blood, god views it as life in itself because obviously we couldn't live without it.
He speaks of other parts of the body but never speaks of them as he does blood as even in the case of his son Jesus. It was only by h ...[text shortened]... !!!!!
I would bet most here would never think of blood in this way..............
I don't believe it is possible to have any more idiots here. I think we
was must have them all on this forum. Just kidding. 😀

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
I don't believe it is possible to have any more idiots here. I think we
was must have them all on this forum. Just kidding. 😀
Soooooo exactly what are you saying?