1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 01:171 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    They are interesting in the truth in science and not the fairy tale for grownups that evolution is the way it all happened. Long, long, ago - billions of years - in a far away land the failry tale for grownups begins and ends with the frog turned into a handsome prince.
    What we know as frogs are thought to have been around for about 200 million years, not "billions of years". Princes (whether handsome or not) have been around considerably less than that).
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 20:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    What we know as frogs are thought to have been around for about 200 million years, not "billions of years". Princes (whether handsome or not) have been around considerably less than that).
    I do not care to be educated on fairy tales for grownups.
    I am only interested in the truth and a few jokes.
    Do you have any?
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 21:25
    I do not care to be educated on fairy tales for grownups.
    I am only interested in the truth and a few jokes.
    Do you have any?
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
    Here is a good joke: RJ with his head buried in the sands of antiquity while the sweet smell of the world goes on right by him totally un-noticed.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 23:521 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/06/12/national/a131828D55.DTL

If you notice towards the end of the article it says they spent a half mil on just advertising.

That is so sick. Not caring about advancing science but in destroying it.
    This is what happens when you have something to sell. Whether what you are selling is based upon truth or not, it is your job to sell it nonetheless.

Cap and trade anyone?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 04:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    This is what happens when you have something to sell. Whether what you are selling is based upon truth or not, it is your job to sell it nonetheless.

Cap and trade anyone?
    What is being sold with cap and trade?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 17:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is being sold with cap and trade?
    http://www.edf.org/climate/how-cap-and-trade-works
  7. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 21:02
    I think that is one of just many that are sprouting up in our nation - filling the youth of our nation with rubbish. I have a friend who wants to go just to laugh out loud at them in person :>😉
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 21:472 edits
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    I think that is one of just many that are sprouting up in our nation - filling the youth of our nation with rubbish. I have a friend who wants to go just to laugh out loud at them in person :>😉
    They laughed at Noah, too. Well, until the flood waters came and swept them away. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 21:541 edit
    They laughed at Noah, too. Well, until the flood waters came and swept them away. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
    Your god was sorry he did that and swore he wouldn't do it again, so bring it on. Pretty pissspoor god if it didn't see the end result. I thought it was omniscient. Strike one for that inadequate god.
  10. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 23:53
    The story of Noah is probably related to the formation of the Bosporus strait when the Aegean Sea likely spilled over into the Black sea some 8000 years ago. I know that this may be difficult to believe given that some folks believe the earth to be only 6000 years old. I know that our God has a sense of humor and I bet he/she is having a good laugh over this 6000 year old myth. It is possible that some wise man had forseen the problem and built a rather large boat - hence the story. But seriously - I doubt the whole world could fill up with water and cover the highest mountain - do the math.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '12 00:40
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    The story of Noah is probably related to the formation of the Bosporus strait when the Aegean Sea likely spilled over into the Black sea some 8000 years ago. I know that this may be difficult to believe given that some folks believe the earth to be only 6000 years old. I know that our God has a sense of humor and I bet he/she is having a good laugh over this ...[text shortened]... - I doubt the whole world could fill up with water and cover the highest mountain - do the math.
    I know that our God has a sense of humor and I bet he/she is having a good laugh over this 6000 year old myth.

How do you know that 'our' (our??? who's the us here?) god has a sense of humour?

How do you Know that your god even exists?

Particularly given you appear to be equivocating over your deities gender, which is a subject that for
    once the bible is really clear and specific about. The god of the bible is very definitely a him.

But seriously - I doubt the whole world could fill up with water and cover the highest mountain - do the math.

You doubt the entire world could be flooded to cover the highest mountain???

You have a noticeable element of uncertainty as to whether it's possible that within the last 4000 years
    the entire planet was covered with water deep enough to cover the highest mountain without there being
    a single solitary shred of supporting evidence for it and entire mountains of evidence disproving it???

I think what you meant to say [and feel free to correct me if I am wrong] is, "I am absolutely certain that the
    entire world wasn't flooded 4000 years ago because I am not an ignorant brain dead moron..."

I agree that the event you mentioned is one of the possible sources of the flood myth of the bible,
    although flooding is something that many/most peoples around the world experience and can make
    up stories about... However this is not going to have any effect on YEC's like RJHinds or the JW's
    who believe in magic and don't even understand the concept of evidence...

But much more interesting (to me at least) is how someone who does accept that the stories in the bible are
    not actually true can still actually believe in the existence of the deity described in it.

I mean if you don't believe that the great flood myth is actually true, then you have to think that your god
    had his prophets make up a story about him that made him look like a genocidal maniac so that we could have
    a factually inaccurate story for why we get rainbows...

I don't understand how you can apply logic and reason to decide which bits of a magic book you are prepared to
    believe.

I mean I understand (but can't comprehend or agree with) RJHinds and the JW's fundamentalist view where
    they just flat out ditch all evidence that contradicts their view of what the bible says in an outright rejection of
    all logic and science...

But I don't get people who do accept reason and logic but still believe stuff as unreasonable and illogical as the existence
    of the Abrahamic god.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jun '12 01:22
    Your god was sorry he did that and swore he wouldn't do it again, so bring it on. Pretty pissspoor god if it didn't see the end result. I thought it was omniscient. Strike one for that inadequate god.
    Not at all. He has fire and brimstone reserved to do a much better job on the likes ou you and all unbelievers, who do evil. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! 😏

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_brimstone
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jun '12 01:28
    Not at all. He has fire and brimstone reserved to do a much better job on the likes ou you and all unbelievers, who do evil. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! 😏

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_brimstone
    Only thing that will do that is a big fat asteroid, been a while, about 65 million years since the last one, but now we have telescopes that can watch out for them and spacecraft that can nudge them out of harms way. Your god will have to be a lot sneakier next time. I think humans will be up to the task. Humans 1, your god, 0.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jun '12 01:57
    Only thing that will do that is a big fat asteroid, been a while, about 65 million years since the last one, but now we have telescopes that can watch out for them and spacecraft that can nudge them out of harms way. Your god will have to be a lot sneakier next time. I think humans will be up to the task. Humans 1, your god, 0.
    Well, You will have to just wait and see if you are smarter than God. I am betting on God. But I wish you luck anyway. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  15. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Jun '12 03:27
    "How do you Know that your god even exists?"

I don't "know" in the sense that one can prove scientifically.

I believe in a first cause and choose to call that/it/he/she God.

If some people view my "belief" as whishfull thinking and pure fantasy - so be it. As long as I don't force my belief upon others I don't see any harm in it. Since we are not at the point where science can prove or disprove the existence of a God I don't see any point in worrying about it and move about my daily life trying to make the best of it - "cultivating my garden".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree