1. R.I.P.
    Moves
    04 Apr '05 22:38
    I think that a lot of belief in god comes from that nice warm safe feeling that people get when praying, for want of a better saying the feeling of gods love. Another explaination for this could be the manifestation of Ki, Qi or Chi, this being the universal energy from eastern philosophies.
    Discuss
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Apr '05 23:29
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    I think that a lot of belief in god comes from that nice warm safe feeling that people get when praying, for want of a better saying the feeling of gods love. Another explaination for this could be the manifestation of Ki, Qi or Chi, this being the universal energy from eastern philosophies.
    Discuss

If people indeed use their faith just to get "a nice warm safe feeling", they should investigate their motives for believing.

The Christian faith can be used as a drug. The famous Marxian "opium of the masses". However this use is wrong. Jesus asks us to take up our cross, meaning we have to face the sorrow, the fears and the difficulties of life. Hardly a call to flee from reality.

However if you deal with your faith the correct way there is nothing wrong with feeling safe, warm and comforted by the Lord when praying to Him.
  3. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 01:26
    There indeed seems to be a universal "force" or fundamental energy that pervades all. Wisdom traditions around the world have had a name for it. Some examples as begun in the first post...

Hinduism -- Prana / Shakti / Kundalini

Taoism -- Chi

Zen martial arts -- Ki

Polynesian shamanism -- Manna

Christianity -- Holy Spirit

Judaism -- Ruach

Islam -- Will of Allah

Wilhelm Reich -- Orgone Energy

Russian parapsychological experiments in the 1960-70s -- Bioplasma

Star Wars -- The Force

And many others.

When you study the traditions and backgrounds and personal experiences people have had with this force/energy, you're left with many remarkable parallels -- when the cultural or dogmatic trappings around the concept of what this energy truly is -- are removed.
  4. NY
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 02:42
    Ah yes the force...
  5. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 03:49
    Originally posted by xxxenophobe
    Ah yes the force...
    George Lucas (Star Wars guy) got the themes of his material from Joseph Campbell, probably the 20th century's greatest mythologist. Lucas dressed it up in a cartoon form, but much of his spiritual themes were simply borrowed from Campbell's research. Yoda was nothing but a Chinese Taoist master given a science fiction spin. The "Force" as they described it was identical to the Taoist concept of "Chi".
  6. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 03:53
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    George Lucas (Star Wars guy) got the themes of his material from Joseph Campbell, probably the 20th century's greatest mythologist. Lucas dressed it up in a cartoon form, but much of his spiritual themes were simply borrowed from Campbell's research. Yoda was nothing but a Chinese Taoist master given a science fiction spin. The "Force" as they described it was identical to the Taoist concept of "Chi".
    May the force be with you, grasshopper.
  7. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 03:551 edit
    George Lucas (Star Wars guy) got the themes of his material from Joseph Campbell, probably the 20th century's greatest mythologist. Lucas dressed it up in a cartoon form, but much of his spiritual themes were simply borrowed from Cam ...[text shortened]... they described it was identical to the Taoist concept of "Chi".
    Absolutely. As a practicioner of Tai Chi, I must confess I saw the correlation quickly.
  8. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 09:54
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    May the force be with you, grasshopper.
    Now you're talkin'.

Grasshopper, aka Kwai Chang Caine, master of Kungfu, student of Shaolin Temple.

According to Chinese legend, Shaolin Temple was founded by Bodhidharma, the legendary patriarch of the Cha'an lineage of Buddhism. The word "Cha'an" derived from the Sanskrit word "dhyan", meaning "meditation". When the word got to Japan, it became "zen" because Japanese physiology resulted in the Chinese "ch" sounding like "z".

But back to Kwai Chang Caine. The show played in the early 1970s and was the first to popularize the right usage of the "force" ("Chi" in the case of the Chinese) in a way that enabled a dude to never lose a fight....

Tai Chi as far as I know also has its roots in Shaolin...
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 10:09
    Now you're talkin'.

According to Chinese legend, Shaolin Temple was founded by Bodhidharma, the legendary patriarch of the Cha'an lineage of Buddhism. The word "Cha'an" derived from the Sanskrit word "dhyan", meaning "meditation". When the word got to Japan, ...[text shortened]... d a dude to never lose a fight....

It's not exactly easy to think non-thoughts is it?
  10. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 11:09
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    It's not exactly easy to think non-thoughts is it?
    Indeed, can't be done.

But how do you think a thought?

How do you get a thought to appear in your consciousness?

Is there any sort of willful volition involved in the generating of a thought?

And if so, *who* is generating that thought?

A thinker?

Problem there is that if we look deeply, we can't find this "thinker".

This is why when Emperor Wu asked Zen master Bodhidharma, "who are you?", Bodhidharma replied, "I do not know."

Wu thought he was being insolent and tossed him out of his court. But in doing so he missed the deepest of all teachings.
  11. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 20:36
    There indeed seems to be a universal "force" or fundamental energy that pervades all. Wisdom traditions around the world have had a name for it. Some examples as begun in the first post...

Taoism -- Chi

Zen martial arts -- Ki

Judaism -- ...[text shortened]... cultural or dogmatic trappings around the concept of what this energy truly is -- are removed.
    You'll find also that modern science has a remarkably broad concept of 'energy', encompassing ideas like mass, motion and light, and there's even 'potential' energy. It's versatile stuff, and one of the most important concepts in science. Of course, many people don't find the idea that they have less 'fundamental energy' than a ton of concrete very appealing.
  12. R.I.P.
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 20:56
    Now you're talkin'.

According to Chinese legend, Shaolin Temple was founded by Bodhidharma, the legendary patriarch of the Cha'an lineage of Buddhism. The word "Cha'an" derived from the Sanskrit word "dhyan", meaning "meditation". When the word got to Japan, ...[text shortened]... d a dude to never lose a fight....

David Carradine was on TV the other night being interviewed by Jonathan Ross. He said that Kung Fu was ceasored and only ever allowed to have two minutes of fighting per episode. Plus Caine wasn't allowed to kill anybody directly.
  13. R.I.P.
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 22:13

Taoism -- Chi

Zen martial arts -- Ki

Judaism -- ...[text shortened]... cultural or dogmatic trappings around the concept of what this energy truly is -- are removed.
    Exactly my point.
    The Chi could be misinterpreted as coming from God.
    So does Chi exist? and what evidence is there to support this ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree