Moves
    15 Sep '14 23:30
    What is Kiva?
    Kiva is a platform where you can make small loans to people in poor
    areas that need help starting small business. These are interest-fee
    loans in places like Cambodia, Peru, Uganda — places where
    traditional bank lending to the poor is unavailable. Kiva ensures that
    the loans are paid out and that the money is paid back. This is the
    best way of bringing economic growth to the poorest areas.

Many religious groups have contributed.

http://www.venganza.org/category/evangelism/
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 05:12
    I made a couple loans through them. Very small. I think they owe me a few bucks.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 10:58
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What is Kiva?
    the loans are paid out and that the money is paid back. This is th ...[text shortened]... eas.

http://www.nptrust.org/philanthropic-resources/charitable-giving-statistics/

Amazing statistics. I wonder how much would be needed to end poverty and ensure prosperity for all. Can it be done?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 11:15
    Originally posted by josephw

Amazing statistics. I wonder how much would be needed to end poverty and ensure prosperity for all. Can it be done?
    Kiva can be a big part of that effort but there won't be a drastic decrease in poverty because of it. Pockets of improvement but no panacea.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 11:28

If Christians lived as if they really believed in Christ then poverty would end.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 11:31
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If Christians lived as if they really believed in Christ then poverty would end.
    Right, and Muslims would just let that happen.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 11:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Kiva can be a big part of that effort but there won't be a drastic decrease in poverty because of it. Pockets of improvement but no panacea.
    If I had to pick the one thing that would remove poverty it would be relevant education and training for that environment. Quite apart from the obvious advantage of getting a better job and the long term spinoff effects for industry as a whole of having a trained workforce, there is the more important advantage of reducing the population growth rate and eventually the size of the population.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 12:04
    What is Kiva?
    the loans are paid out and that the money is paid back. This is th ...[text shortened]... eas.

Many religious groups also eat food.
    How does this have any relevance to the spirituality forum?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 12:20
    Speak for yourself!

I live as a Christian, and I'm not in poverty. Many others live as Christians and are in poverty.

You're not going to blame poverty on whether or not one "really believes and lives" as a Christian.

Why don't you just blame Jesus?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 12:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Oh, there is a panacea! They just won't let it happen!
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 13:39
    Speak for yourself!

I live as a Christian, and I'm not in poverty. Many others live as Christians and are in poverty.

You're not going to blame poverty on whether or not one "really believes and lives" as a Christian.

Why don't you just blame Jesus?
    Christ preached, charity, generosity, compassion for the poor, sharing of ones worldly goods, helping those in need. The Apostles practiced it. Modern Christianity condemn its and calls it trying to earn salvation, insulting to Christ, self-righteousness, hypocrisy, salvation by works and other derogatary expressions"

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. (Acts 2:38-47 KJV)
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 13:59
    Christ preached, charity, generosity, compassion for the poor, sharing of ones worldly goods, helping those in need. The Apostles practiced it. Modern Christianity condemn its and calls it trying to earn salvation, insulting to Christ, self-righteousness, hypocrisy, salvation by works and other derogatary expressions"

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, ...[text shortened]... e people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. (Acts 2:38-47 KJV)
    But it did not end poverty as sunhouse said.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 14:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    But it did not end poverty as sunhouse said.
    It eliminated waste and inequality. The waste that goes on in the developed countries is astounding.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 20:58
    What is Kiva?

For my birthday several years ago my daughter gave me a Kiva membership with $150 in the account. I've made many, many $25 or $50 loans since then. There has been only one partial failure to completely repay. Kiva asks for a little bit to go to their operating budget each time but you can always decline.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 21:15
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    How does this have any relevance to the spirituality forum?
    At least you are honest enough to say you don't understand - normally
    when something is beyond your intellect you change the subject.

Now go away and practise wiping your ar$ and tying your laces.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree