1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 22:52
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Picasso's Guernica will remain among the greatest pieces of Western art for centuries. Regardless of your crap opinion.
    And, of course, another artist whose work I must endure: my wife likes his crap, too. Thankfully, those prints are in less prominent spots in the house and she lets me display my favorites more conspicuously.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 23:37
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And, of course, another artist whose work I must endure: my wife likes his crap, too. Thankfully, those prints are in less prominent spots in the house and she lets me display my favorites more conspicuously.
    And what, exactly, would those favorites be? A painting of Elvis on black velvet?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 23:53
    And what, exactly, would those favorites be? A painting of Elvis on black velvet?
    Right next to those poker cheatin' dogs, of course!

I am inclined toward van Gogh, Monet, and my own dirty little secret, Eyvind Earle. There's just something about the man's landscapes that gets me.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:35
    Right next to those poker cheatin' dogs, of course!

I am inclined toward van Gogh, Monet, and my own dirty little secret, Eyvind Earle. There's just something about the man's landscapes that gets me.
    Van Gogh, eh? Well, that's something I suppose. I half thought you were going to say El Greco, or some such thing. I'm not familiar with Mr. Earle, though. You've done an admirable job of keeping that little secret all to yourself. I'm a little suspicious, though, when people list Monet among their favorites. Monet is a fine artist, don't get me wrong, but everyone who knows absolutely nothing about art seems to like Monet. I find it very suspicious. The same with that damnable Renoir. Although I hasten to add that he IS a fine artist.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:51
    Van Gogh, eh? Well, that's something I suppose. I half thought you were going to say El Greco, or some such thing. I'm not familiar with Mr. Earle, though. You've done an admirable job of keeping that little secret all to yourself. I'm a little suspicious, though, when people list Monet among their favorites. Monet is a fine artist, don't get me wrong, but ...[text shortened]... ous. The same with that damnable Renoir. Although I hasten to add that he IS a fine artist.
    I like CM in spite of popular appeal. Like you, I doubt that most people know why they even like him... if they even think that far, really. Personally, I am overwhelmed with most pieces, as I feel that he so faithfully and poignantly captured the frustration of elusive essence.

His work is that phenomenon of 'tip of the tongue.'
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:57
    Eyind Earle is hopelessly modern, and thus my little secret. Being a conservative, I am only 'supposed' to like those artists safely ensconsed within the past, dutiful servants to the classical mindset.

Earle is a former background artist for Disney, who used vibrant color and wide, far-ranging landscapes to draw us out and into his space. His capture of the coast and farmscapes of northern California make me think home is (yet) just a Greyhound away. Damned atheist!
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 09:19
    Monet is a fine artist, don't get me wrong, but everyone who knows absolutely nothing about art seems to like Monet. I find it very suspicious.
    You're doing a similar mistake to the one you accuse FreakyKBH of doing.

You say his personal likes or dislikes shouldn't reflect on the evaluation of an artist, but here you imply that the likes and dislikes of a layman majority DO count.

Monet is a fabulous painter and tops that with universal appeal. Only art elitists should have a problem with that.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 15:11
    Originally posted by Palynka

You say his personal likes or dislikes shouldn't reflect on the evaluation of an artist, but here you imply that the likes and dislikes of a layman majority DO count.

Monet is a fabulous painter and tops that with universal appeal. Only art elitists should have a problem with that.
    I am not making any evaluation of Monet. I am making an evaluation of people who claim to like Monet. The question is not whether you like Monet, but why you like Monet.

As for being an art elitist, that is a mantle I will wear proudly as I stare down my nose contemptuously at the layman in the street and stumble down the alley in a drunken stupor, shouting hoarsely, "Monet? Monet? It seems as though every fool and urchin in the district has latched onto his damnable Water Lillies like a tick on a dog", all the while clutching a dog-eared postcard of one of his Houses of Parliament paintings in my coat pocket.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 22:22

I agree with rwingett on this one. He was clearly denouncing the masses who cough out Monet's name simply because:
    1. they know the 't' is silent, and
    2. they're reasonably sure he may have done something artsy at some point.

It's this same suspicion that keeps us (okay, me) from following the crowd into seeing otherwise great movies, on account that popular appeal was gained. Call it distrust of mass opinion, but most times that distrust serves ownership well.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 22:36
    I agree with rwingett on this one. He was clearly denouncing the masses who cough out Monet's name simply because:
    1. they know the 't' is silent, and
    2. they're reasonably sure he may have done something artsy at some point.

It's this same suspicion that keeps us (okay, me) from following the crowd into seeing otherwise great movies, on account tha ...[text shortened]... ned. Call it distrust of mass opinion, but most times that distrust serves ownership well.
    Perhaps, I'm an anti-elitist elitist. I shun people like you, who believe that the majority of people are systematically incapable of appreciating good art when presented to it.

You are the sheep here, guided through prejudice into appreciating/disliking something just because others feel about it in a certain way.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 22:51
    Perhaps, I'm an anti-elitist elitist. I shun people like you, who believe that the majority of people are systematically incapable of appreciating good art when presented to it.

You are the sheep here, guided through prejudice into appreciating/disliking something just because others feel about it in a certain way.
    Your shunning only encourages me. Although not prejudice per se, my experience has been that--- in areas where knowledge is preferred--- Naive Everyman is woefully ill-equipped to make a valued decision.

Were the command,"Look at the pretty colors," knowledge is not required and one knee-jerk is just as important as the next. Art can be reduced to that command, but that places my two year-old's finger paintings on the same level as any one of the masters' greatest pieces... maybe even higher, given her penchant for yellows and reds.

As our taste matures and we gain perspective and discernment, blacklight sci-fi posters are (typically) replaced with works of graduated expertise. This is what separates a Franzia from Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepage and (depending upon the mindset of the one imbibing) elevates and enriches the level of enjoyment.

I shy away from the popular simply because my experience has taught me that the crowd is typically wrong. And, true to human nature, just when I think I have it nailed, the crowd picks a winner. In the case of Monet, the crowd (whether it knows it or not, or knows why or not) has it right.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 22:57
    I am not making any evaluation of Monet. I am making an evaluation of people who claim to like Monet. The question is not whether you like Monet, but why you like Monet.

As for being an art elitist, that is a mantle I will wear proudly as I stare down my nose contemptuously at the layman in the street and stumble down the alley in a drunken stupo ...[text shortened]... ng a dog-eared postcard of one of his Houses of Parliament paintings in my coat pocket.
    Count de Money...de Monet, de Monet!!!!

(Kudos to the first person who gets this reference.)
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 23:00
    Your shunning only encourages me. Although not prejudice per se, my experience has been that--- in areas where knowledge is preferred--- Naive Everyman is woefully ill-equipped to make a valued decision.

Were the command,"Look at the pretty colors," knowledge is not required and one knee-jerk is just as important as the next. Art can be reduced to tha ...[text shortened]... the case of Monet, the crowd (whether it knows it or not, or knows why or not) has it right.
    For someone claiming Picasso and Klimt are crap, your pseudo-superiority in evaluating art gains some perspective.

It's also quite funny how you accuse critics of intellectual masturbation and then claim the righteousness of doing exactly the same.

You keep contradicting yourself and you don't even realize it.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 23:45
    For someone claiming Picasso and Klimt are crap, your pseudo-superiority in evaluating art gains some perspective.

It's also quite funny how you accuse critics of intellectual masturbation and then claim the righteousness of doing exactly the same.

You keep contradicting yourself and you don't even realize it.
    Oh, yes I don't!
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 23:47
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Count de Money...de Monet, de Monet!!!!

(Kudos to the first person who gets this reference.)
    History of the World, Part One.

Mel Brooks is genius, a real art form.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree