http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asia/china-knife-attack/index.html
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:52
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asia/china-knife-attack/index.html
    Given that the sole purpose of a knife is to kill things I think they should also be banned.

Ditto with cars - they are too designed only with the purpose of ending human life.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:54
    If you want to kill instead of wound, guns are much better.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:55
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Given that the sole purpose of a knife is to kill things I think they should also be banned.

Ditto with cars - they are too designed only with the purpose of ending human life.
    Cars and knives have useful purpose for ordinary citizens. Gun's don't.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:55

I would have to admit one thing, so far none of these poor little kids have died from this attack, unlike the attack in the USA.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:56
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Cars and knives have useful purpose for ordinary citizens. Gun's don't.
    I was hoping the sarcasm in my opening post was blatant ;]
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:002 edits
    I would have to admit one thing, so far none of these poor little kids have died from this attack, unlike the attack in the USA.
    The reason for that is
    a) in any short interval under a second, knives are not nearly as destructive as the bullets expelled from guns...the victims have a greater likelyhood of surviving a short attack if he/she is one of 20 other targets
    b) it requires a lot more effort (and risk on the part of the attacker) to land multiple consecutive killing blows with a knife, and
    c) the victims of a possible knife attack can attempt to counter, parry, or deflect an attack ...or run away!

The gun was specifically invented to eliminate (b) and (c)
  8. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:24
    😉
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:392 edits
    Oh ok. Good, 🙂 That's refreshing.

The reason the sarcasm was not readily apparent at least to me was because so many people non-sacrastically draw those analogies and make that point. I even thought you might have had some sort-of reverse sarcasm going or something but still ending with it being ridiculous to ban guns. But now I see.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:43
    The reason for that is
    a) in any short interval under a second, knives are not nearly as destructive as the bullets expelled from guns...the victims have a greater likelyhood of surviving a short attack if he/she is one of 20 other targets
    b) it requires a lot more effort (and risk on the part of the attacker) to land multiple consecutive killing blows with ...[text shortened]... deflect an attack ...or run away!

The gun was specifically invented to eliminate (b) and (c)
    Gee thanks, being only an AAS the physics are beyond my grasp.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:474 edits
    Gee thanks, being only an AAS the physics are beyond my grasp.
    Not trying to patronize you ChessPraxis (for what it's worth I am/was aware that you are well educated - more so than myself), just marking out (not just for your benefit) how guns are a special case when talking about things that kill people. To equate knives with guns is to neglect the features of a gun which empower their users to slaughter on a grand scale.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:52
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The reason the sarcasm was not readily apparent at least to me was because....
    Broadly speaking, British people balk at 'indicating' their ironic comments with emoticons.
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:58
    Not trying to patronize you ChessPraxis (for what it's worth I am/was aware that you are well educated - more so than myself), just marking out (not just for your benefit) how guns are a special case when talking about things that kill people. To equate knives with guns is to neglect the features of a gun which empower their users to slaughter on a grand scale.
    Thanks and sorry for being a smart ass, well this time anyway.
    Even though this incident is less traumatic, it never the less illustrates, there is a problem with people in general.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 03:01
    Even though this incident is less traumatic, it never the less illustrates, there is a problem with people in general.

Which is why guns should be banned.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 03:26
    Human depravity never takes a day off... now or ever.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree