1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 18:49
    Do with the thread title as you will. Too easy. But I was wondering that since the Bible is supposed to address the human condition, and since I know we are good at cracking wise even in the worst of conditions:

what humor is found in the Bible.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 18:57
    'You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.' Matthew 23:24

Comedy gold.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 19:09
    penny wise and pound foolish

Not funny, and not original. Is the Bible blank about this.
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 22:362 edits
    Originally posted by apathist
    Do with the thread title as you will. Too easy. But I was wondering that since the Bible is supposed to address the human condition, and since I know we are good at cracking wise even in the worst of conditions:

I did a paper on this subject in college.

The only place in the Old Testament where humor is mentioned is in the story of Jonah. (After preaching in the city, God allowed a plant to grow suddenly, to shade Jonah and "sooth his ill humor"😉

Obviously God found it funny to have Jonah be swollowed by a fish and spat up on the beach.

Personally i think it was funny the way God got Moses attention. Remember, Moses was raised as a prince of Egypt. Logic and reason. So here you have a bush, burning, and not consumed. (ok figure that one out, smarty pants)
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 22:491 edit

Humor, I think, is based on surprise.

A number of stories in the Bible contain surprises that to me can easily invoke a smile or laugh or sense of humorous irony.

ie. The meeting of the terrified Jacob of his brother Esau.

The Lord Jesus making Peter pay the tax with a coin found in a fish's mouth.

Some of the events in the life of Samson, perhaps.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 23:28

Bill Hick' take on the bible and Christianity is hilarious
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 23:31
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    'You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.' Matthew 23:24

Comedy gold.
    Perhaps it is the fact it is comedy gold which explains why robbie carrobie has used it as a "witty" retort (and escape hatch) what feels like hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of times. 😉
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 23:39
    From the mid 14th century, humor is a bodily fluid.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 23:45
    Originally posted by sonship
    Humor, I think, is based on surprise.

A number of stories in the Bible contain surprises that to me can easily invoke a smile or laugh or sense of humorous irony.

ie. The meeting of the terrified Jacob of his brother Esau.

The Lord Jesus making Peter pay the tax with a coin found in a fish's mouth.

Some of the events in the life of Samson, perhaps.
    Surprise point, yes. Was talking about laughing, feeling good or trying to, and looking for jokes and kidding.

The Bible is blank. A dark place, no kidding. No place for a happy seed to grow.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 23:49
    Surprise point, yes. Was talking about laughing, feeling good or trying to, and looking for jokes and kidding.

The Bible is blank. A dark place, no kidding. No place for a happy seed to grow.
    It's almost like the bible and it's followers are saying "keep the humour out of here- it is the work of demonic forces"
  11. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 15:09
    How about the test on the Baal worshippers at 1Kings 18:25-29?
    (1 Kings 18:27) About noon E·liʹjah began to mock them and say: “Call out at the top of your voice! After all, he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought or he has gone to relieve himself. Or maybe he is asleep and someone needs to wake him up!”
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 16:22
    Originally posted by roigam
    How about the test on the Baal worshippers at 1Kings 18:25-29?
    (1 Kings 18:27) About noon E·liʹjah began to mock them and say: “Call out at the top of your voice! After all, he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought or he has gone to relieve himself. Or maybe he is asleep and someone needs to wake him up!”
    yes that is a good one LOL
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 16:26

On this forum. The funniest comment i ever read came from sonhouse, it was in reference to to creation of the cosmos. "Star Poop"
  14. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    04 Mar '17 17:47
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    yes that is a good one LOL
    pure anthropomorphism

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree