1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 07:56
    The Law of God given to Israel was the standard for an Israelite to do and live by. However, what sinner has ever kept the whole Law of God?

The law of Christ is done out of obedience by a person who is already saved. The law of Christ does not provide eternal life by keeping it. A Christian is given eternal life already, then the Christian is to go on obeying the commands of Christ.

I submit the following:

[b]The Law of God and the law of Christ are 2 different sets of commandments.[\b]
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 11:50
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    The Law of God given to Israel was the standard for an Israelite to do and live by. However, what sinner has ever kept the whole Law of God?

The law of Christ is done out of obedience by a person who is already saved. The law of Christ does not provide eternal life by keeping it. A Christian is given eternal life already, then the Christian is to g ...[text shortened]... following:

[b]The Law of God and the law of Christ are 2 different sets of commandments.[\b]
    The law of Christ is really the divine life of Christ Himself. The law of Christ is the law of His own life.

Every life has a law.
    We could say that the dog has a barking law and a fish has a swimming law. You get the idea.

A cat has a law which causes it to catch mice.
    And a horse has a horse law which causes it to gallop with great strength.
    Every life has a kind of law of its life.

When we receive Jesus Christ a law of the life of Christ is implanted into our innermost being. This law is also called -"the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus"

The Recovery Version reads -

"There is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death." (Rom. 8:1,2)

Some other English translations read verse 2 as follows:

New International Version
    because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

New Living Translation
    And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.

English Standard Version
    For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.

New American Standard Bible
    For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

King James Bible
    For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    because the Spirit's law of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

International Standard Version
    For the Spirit's law of life in the Messiah Jesus has set me free from the Law of sin and death.

This law of the Spirit of life is a spontaneous enabling which the Christian has to learn to tap into by turning his heart to the indwelling Person of Jesus in his regenerated spirit.

We are not use to living that way. We are use to living by the self. We have to learn that it is Christ who lives in us, which is a fact. And He blends His divine nature more and more into our spontaneous reactions. In this was we learn to walk by Christ or by the law of Christ's own life.

This is what the prophet Jeremiah meant when he said God would inscribed His laws into the heart of the new covenant people. Something living only can be "inscribed" into something else living.

This is kind of writing of a supernatural Person into other people.
    Praise God for the new covenant by which we can be saved both positionally and dispositionally.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 14:34

The law of Christ is done out of obedience by a person who is already saved. The law of Christ does not provide eternal life by keeping it. A Christian is given eternal life already, then the Christian is to g ...[text shortened]... following:

Wasn't Christ God? If yes, then his law is, by definition, the law of God.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 17:23
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    What it's called doesn't really matter as long as you are in compliance. Think of as the law of God 2.0 if that helps.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 18:471 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    What it's called doesn't really matter as long as you are in compliance. Think of as the law of God 2.0 if that helps.
    I'm not a big fan of either version.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 21:08
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, that's why he is called the "son of God". A son cannot be his own father or vis versa.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 21:29

Do we get Law III when Jesus returns?
    Why didn't god get it right first time?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 21:30
    Originally posted by galveston75
    No, that's why he is called the "son of God". A son cannot be his own father or vis versa.
    Oh we're going in that direction, are we?
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 22:44
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I wasn't asking you. I already knew you don't believe in a divine Jesus.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 21:00

The law of Christ is the law of God fulfilled in the believer.

Gal. 6:2
    Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Phil. 3:9
    And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
  11. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 10:55
    JS357,
    In a sense, you are correct. Neither the Law of God nor the law of Christ provides eternal life now for any living human being.

Once, the Law of God was for the Israelites only by which they could keep and live.

The other is the law of Christ which I call the commandments of Christ. But I am not saying that the law of Christ does not include grace.

The law of Christ does not lead to eternal life in itself. But one time in history, keeping the Law of God for an Israelite did lead toward eternal life because Christ was going to die for Israel which would finalize every part of what a believer would receive.

Now, keeping the Law of God brings nothing for eternal life for humans of Israel and Gentiles. Furthermore, keeping the law of Christ does not give eternal life.

Christ Himself brings eternal life and it is important that people realize doing good works does not earn eternal life.

Christ is the only "earner", and so, putting faith in Him as Savior and Lord and asking for forgiveness of sin as a Sinner leads to forgiveness of being a sinner. After a person puts faith in Christ as Savior and Lord, then Christ Himself offers that believer a new standing with God. God looks at that believer as a Son. While girls and women can be saved, the term son is used in the bible. You and I could call them daughters of God.

Christ made it possible for believers to be given gifts offered with salvation. Christ who is the Son of God makes believers joint heirs with Christ.

Christ is the way of salvation, not good works, not being good, not having greater good than bad in our lives, and not keeping the law of Christ, nor the Law of God.

The Gospel is that Christ shed his blood for our sins, took our sins on Himself, died, was buried, and rose again to life to offer us a way to eternal life. God accepted Christ's sacrifice. It is Christ, alone, that is the Savior. Good works are done because they are pleasing to God. They are done out of obedience. They are not done to earn salvation.

King James Version
    ==================
    John 14: 1-6
    Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
  12. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 11:04
    SwissGambit,
    You typed
    ----------
    ----------

Yes, Christ is God. However, a distinction is being made between the Law given to Israel only and Christ's commandments given to both Israel and Gentiles.

Grace came with Jesus Christ. The grace of God was not offered as much before Christ. Christ offered salvation for everyone in the world. Through Christ, more grace is given to everyone. God's love and Christ's sacrifice helped that come about.

I would not say that I have exhausted all the differences in the 2 sets of laws either.
  13. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 11:07
    Galveston,
    Christ is both God and the Son of God at the same time. While I don't know in what ways they are both true at the same time, one human thought might be that, Jesus is a clone of God.

That thought is not in the bible. However, Christ then can be both God, and the Son of God at the same time. I do not know, however, the real explanation.
  14. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 11:16
    Wolfgang,
    Why God offers 2 set of commandments:

One reason is that the Law of God was for Israel.

The law of Christ is for everyone, including Israel.

Another reason, if I remember right, is that God offered the Law of God to Israel to show them their sin and show them that they cannot keep God's holiness which, as a result, would lead them to Christ. Oddly, if I am not wrong, certain Israel people added even more "laws" to God's Law.

Such example might be that an Israelite could only walk a certain distance on the Sabbath day otherwise, he or she would not be keeping the Sabbath day as God wanted. Have you ever heard of the term, Sabbath Day's journey?

Lastly, if you want to know why God gave the Law of God to Israel read the book of Romans.
  15. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 11:18
    Josephw,
    Sounds like you are on the right track based on the bible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree