1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 14:43
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It's not their god that pisses me off. It's them.

ANYBODY stupid enough to be older than 8 years of age and still believing in gods, fairies, garden gnomes and ghosts deserves to have the piss taken out of them.
    Why do you let christians piss you off? It doesn't bother me in the least the way you are! And you say more mean things than anyone else. I find it entertaining.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 20:58
    Originally posted by princeoforange
    In general, Christians do agree with the separation of church and state. I am a Christian, I do not think the queen should be the the head of the church of England. Do some reading on the Scottish National Covenant of 1638. Many Christians in Scotland died for the cause of separating church and state, that is why the two are separate in Scotland. ...[text shortened]... your justification for abusing Christianity then I suggest that it is merely through ignorance.
    FYI, there is a whole world of Christian bigots out there, trying to ban evolution, or even (gasp) proper physics!
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 21:01
    In what way?
    Tell me, POO, in what way does a curfew, impinge on the rights of night owls?
  4. Isle of Skye
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 22:10
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I'll have a go..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theocracy

[b]Theocracy

Most modern descriptive dictionaries explain that the word is used in most carefully edited texts in English to mean either government by doing immediate divine guidance (close to the usage described above) or, more commonly, as government by or subject to religious inst ...[text shortened]... mocracy

Representation of all facets of society, not based on Race, sex or [i]religion!
    [/b]
    But you have missed the entire point of my post, or perhaps you just didn't read it. I was not condoning theocracy (the system in place in, e.g. Iran), I was referring to a state having a Christian constitution (the system in place in the UK) and I asked whats his name to substantiate his claim that this inevitably leads to discrimination against non Christians, which he was unable to do; and your post doesn't make the grade either. Sorry.
  5. Isle of Skye
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 22:13
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    FYI, there is a whole world of Christian bigots out there, trying to ban evolution, or even (gasp) proper physics!
    I have not actually met any Christians who wish to ban any particular faith (such as evolution) or science (such as physics); and I do know a fair number of Christians. Nevertheless, I do accept that such people probably do exist, however, most Christians believe in freedom of conscience and are therefore tolerant of people who chose to believe in evolution; you're assertion that such people constitute the "whole world" is false.
  6. Isle of Skye
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 22:14
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Tell me, POO, in what way does a curfew, impinge on the rights of night owls?
    I am assuming, for the sake of argument, that this post was addressed to me. The answer is I have no idea, and I can't see what it has to do with anything.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 00:241 edit
    But you have missed the entire point of my post, or perhaps you just didn't read it. I was not condoning theocracy (the system in place in, e.g. Iran), I was referring to a state having a Christian constitution (the system in place in the UK) and I asked whats his name to substantiate his claim that this inevitably leads to discrimination against non Christians, which he was unable to do; and your post doesn't make the grade either. Sorry.
    Rwingett was referring to the conflict between religion and democracy in the United States, not the UK. There have obviously been some wires crossed.

As for the UK, Religion is a back bench MP. It is almost a liberal democrat, ie, in power (on a local level) but very low on batteries! The US is a completely different ball game. They have highly organise Christian lobby groups with million dollar budgets funding political organisations. America is running a terrible risk of sleep walking into a right wing christian theocracy, if it hasn't done so already. If you feel a certain hostility coming from RW, it is because he is somewhat in a minority politically and religiously and he doesn't like it. Neither would I...
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 01:041 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    When the christians agree to respect the wall of separation between church and state, I will leave them alone. Until then, the abuse goes on as normal...
    I am a Christian, and I do believe in the separation of church and state. On that note, I do realize that there are plenty of Christians who would be (even if they did not say so) in favor of more infringements of the "wall," so to speak, but it would be nice if you directed your accusations and insults to those particular people.

In other words, don't generalize so openly, please.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 01:10
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I am a Christian, and I do believe in the separation of church and state. On that note, I do realize that there are plenty of Christians who would be (even if they did not say so) in favor of more infringements of the "wall," so to speak, but it would be nice if you directed your accusations and insults to those particular people.

How can he make that separation? As you are a religious voter, you constitute the opposition. Though i adhere partisan conflicts absolutely, you cannot deny that your positions are completely add odds...
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 01:37
    Rwingett was referring to the conflict between religion and democracy in the United States, not the UK. There have obviously been some wires crossed.

As for the UK, Religion is a back bench MP. It is almost a liberal democrat, ie, in power (on a local level) but very low on batteries! The US is a completely different ball game. They have highly organi ...[text shortened]... somewhat in a minority politically and religiously and he doesn't like it. Neither would I...
    If I have a certain hostility toward princeoforange, it's because I think he's a jackass.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 01:40

Where is fancy bred, in the heart or in the head?
  12. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 03:311 edit
    As you are a religious voter, you constitute the opposition....[Y]ou cannot deny that your positions are completely add odds...
    Firstly, as I am not 18, I cannot vote.

Secondly, if I were 18, I would not vote for a particular candidate based upon religious affiliation. However, there is a difference between (hypothetically for me) voting for a Christian because s/he is intelligent, motivated, experienced, etc., and voting for a Christian because s/he is Christian. After all, how many elections in the U.S. have non-Christians running? Where I live at least, there are few if any.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:31
    Originally posted by rwingett
    ...... but there are a sizable number of christians here who would like nothing better than to make this country a christian nation. This growing menace will not wither away of its own accord, but must be vigilantly combated at every step.[/b]
    .... and which are their achievements in this field until now .... and on which "reforms" are they making progress ?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:371 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    .... and which are their achievements in this field until now .... and on which "reforms" are they making progress ?
    Well, for starters abortion was outlawed long ago after it was legalized in the 1970's. Also, children are now not only allowed to pray in public school they are required to do so just as it was before they were prohibited from doing so in the 1960's. Yep, I would say that this nation is headed towards the religious side of things. I hear they even are returning the Ten Commandments to the court rooms. 🙄
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:44

Hear hear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree