Lessons from Job

Lessons from Job

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Feb 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
Not everything in the Bible needs to be analysed to death. They are just stories of events gone by. Did not Jesus cover that matter of why there was suffering? If you really read and understood Christ then you would be a happy contented person.
I am quite content. As Paul said, “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

(Philippians 4:11-13)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Feb 18

<Not everything in the Bible needs to be analysed to death.>

I don’t think discussing a book of the Bible is “analyzing it to death.”

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Feb 18

<Did not Jesus cover that matter of why there was suffering?>

The trial and afflictions of Job happened long before Jesus Christ’s crucifixion. If you’re implying Job’s affliction was due to sin, I don’t think that’s correct as God viewed Job as righteous and the early chapters of Job reveal his afflictions were actually a test of his faith.

S. Korea

Moves
09 Feb 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Any thoughts on why Job went through what he did (i.e. what was God’s purpose and was it more than a test of Job’s faith?)

I read an interesting book not long ago that made the case that God used Job to demonstrate that a perfectly righteous man could undergo severe trials and afflictions; that trials and afflictions were not necessarily the result of ...[text shortened]... ter job.)

Interesting that God never explains to Job why he went through all of that torment.
You know what is fascinating... The Saints are regularly tormented by Satan and demons.

Fr. Chad Ripperger says that this is because God enjoys it when we humiliate demons.

And this is precisely what Job did: he humiliated Satan because even though God gave Satan permission to do everything short of killing him, he was able to resolutely able to persist.

Satan's greatest sin was pride -- he hated that a human could be thought more righteous than he, higher than he, and what did Job do? Literally showed him that a mortal man with a good spirit who was subjected to every torment could still love God with all his heart and all his mind, thus fundamentally demonstrating that Satan was ultimately wrong. Many humans are superior to the prideful Satan, and though he was mightiest of Angels, he is lower than the regular men he despises.

Another fun note: Job was a gentile, not a Jew, and the nature of the language in the book seems to even indicate it was originally not even composed in Hebrew. Yet, it has been a very important book for the Jewish people. The Jewish nation is not prideful and xenophobic as they accuse of it being.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
09 Feb 18

<Did not Jesus cover that matter of why there was suffering?>

The trial and afflictions of Job happened long before Jesus Christ’s crucifixion. If you’re implying Job’s affliction was due to sin, I don’t think that’s correct as God viewed Job as righteous and the early chapters of Job reveal his afflictions were actually a test of his faith.
Your duplicate profiles thumbing up your posts ... kinda like masturbation.. it's not the real thing.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
Your duplicate profiles thumbing up your posts ... kinda like masturbation.. it's not the real thing.
What are you talking about? Are you still bearing false witness against me by claiming I’m someone else with another profile?

Is this the comment and behavior of someone who is living a sin-free life?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
09 Feb 18

What are you talking about? Are you still bearing false witness against me by claiming I’m someone else with another profile?

Is this the comment and behavior of someone who is living a sin-free life?
The sin isn't his Sherlock.

Moves
09 Feb 18

Originally posted by @jacob-verville
You know what is fascinating... The Saints are regularly tormented by Satan and demons.
You are just making this up.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
The sin isn't his Sherlock.
Then whose is it?