1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:07
    Cmon all iam an anthist not cuziam ignorant but cuz I no theres no god and there no proof so give me proof and i shall be set free!lol but really there is no god!
  2. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:101 edit
    Originally posted by smokeymcpot420
    there no proof
    How to do you prove something exists?
  3. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:112 edits
    cuziam ignorant.
    Really? You could've fooled me. What that intellect, you must know way more than the average theist.

Pray tell, which religions have you looked at?

Edit 2:

Since I should mention this:

I consider these to be religions:

Judaism
    Christianity
    Islam

I consider these to be pseudo(non)-religious ideologies:

Hinduism
    Bhuddism
    Confucianism
    Taoism

Feel free to ask me anything if you have a question about one of these in particular.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:36
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    Really? You could've fooled me. What that intellect, you must know way more than the average theist.

Pray tell, which religions have you looked at?

Edit 2:

Since I should mention this:

Judaism
    Christianity
    Islam

Hinduism
    Bhuddism
    Confuciani ...[text shortened]... aoism

Feel free to ask me anything if you have a question about one of these in particular.

Judaism
    Christianity
    Islam

Hinduism
    Bhuddism
    Confucianism
    Taoism

This seems to be a somewhat artificial distinction to me—though I think you may be using the word “religion” in a stricter sense than I do. Are you separating them on the basis of “supernatural (or extra-natural) theism”? That makes some sense, but—

What is sometimes called “the perennial philosophy” of monism, that is perhaps most clearly expressed in Advaita Vedanta and Zen Buddhism, say, also has ancient streams in the more theistic religions (e.g., Hasidism/kabbalah in Judaism, Sufism in Islam)—although those streams do seem to be more “underground.”
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:41
    Cmon all iam an anthist not cuziam ignorant but cuz I no theres no god and there no proof so give me proof and i shall be set free!lol but really there is no god!
    Wow, my spell checker is smoking…
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:43
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    How to do you prove something exists?
    A variety of methods are available to carry out such a task.
  7. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:45
    Originally posted by vistesd
    This seems to be a somewhat artificial distinction to me—though I think you may be using the word “religion” in a stricter sense than I do. Are you separating them on the basis of “supernatural (or extra-natural) theism”? That makes some sense, but—

What is sometimes called “the perennial philosophy” of monism, that is perhaps most clearly expressed in ...[text shortened]... m/kabbalah in Judaism, Sufism in Islam)—although those streams do seem to be more “underground.”
    All distinctions are artificial. But, from what I've read and understood, the latter four don't fit on the same side of the page as the former three.

My line of divide is based upon the form of it's revelation.

I'd put sikhism in with the other four, but it's just a sad marriage of Islam and Hinduism that I find to be a stupid joke.

Yes, offense intended.
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 20:58
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    All distinctions are artificial. But, from what I've read and understood, the latter four don't fit on the same side of the page as the former three.

I'd put sikhism in with the other four, but it's just a sad marriage of Islam and Hinduism that I find to be a stupid joke.

Yes, offense intended.

Understood. I think that “divide” makes sense. Even reading the Hebrew Scriptures mythologically and symbolically and of human origin (which I do), they are in form quite different from the Upanishads or the Dhammapada or the Tao Te Ching. (Possible exception may be something like Ecclesiastes?)
  9. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:04
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    A variety of methods are available to carry out such a task.
    Could you give an example?
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:151 edit
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    Could you give an example?
    Sure. Proof by Construction is one method. To prove that something exists by this method, simply construct it via valid means from things that do exist.

Suppose you didn't believe in the existence of any numbers greater than 9, and you challenge me to prove that such numbers do exist. Then my method of proof would be to start with the number 9, whose existence you accept, and add 1 to it, yielding the number 10. Thus the number 10 exists, and all that remains is to demonstrate that it is in fact greater than 9. To say that 10 > 9 is to say that 9+1 < 9, which is to say that
    1 > 0, which is true. Therefore, I have constructed a number greater than 9, thereby proving that numbers greater than 9 exist.
  11. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:21
    Sure. Proof by Construction is one method. To prove that something exists by this method, simply construct it via valid means from things that do exist.

Suppose you didn't believe in the existence of any numbers greater than 9, and you challenge me to prove that such numbers do exist. Then my method of proof would be to start with the number 9 ...[text shortened]... , I have constructed a number greater than 9, thereby proving that numbers greater than 9 exist.
    Proving the existence of an ordered set of numbers is quite difficult.

More difficult than that.

But I digress.... continue with whatever was being said.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:21

Suppose you didn't believe in the existence of any numbers greater than 9, and you challenge me to prove that such numbers do exist. Then my method of proof would be to start with the number 9 ...[text shortened]... , I have constructed a number greater than 9, thereby proving that numbers greater than 9 exist.
    Can you apply this proof by construction on the existence of God or on the existence of ..... satan ?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:26
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Can you apply this proof by construction on the existence of God or on the existence of ..... satan ?
    Possibly. It would depend on your definition of God. For example, if you define God to be a number greater than 9, then I have already applied this method to prove his existence.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:29
    Possibly. It would depend on your definition of God. For example, if you define God to be a number greater than 9, then I have already applied this method to prove his existence.
    .... and if the sky falls down we all will be wearing blue hats, Dear Doctor.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 21:31
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    It is important to keep in mind that this method, and all methods of proving existence, will fail if the object in question does not exist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree