1. Joined
    07 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 11:46
    Since the uttering of the word "evolution," creates such a stir in men's hearts these days, I propose that we coin another term. Here is my reason:

Every intelligent person in the world will admit that an animal or plant that is better suited for it's environment has a better chance at survival. This, in my view, is simply not debatable.

Also, although to some this will sound unsettling, we have genes that determine our varied characteristics. Some genes come from our father, some from our mother, and some are uniquely ours, and have not exited before. This unique strand of genes is referred to by some as a "mutation," and is not a theory, but imperical fact.

That's it. Genetic mutation, natural selection. Done. A wrap. End of story. That's all evolution is. Now, scientists have many theories as to how that process worked on Earth, and you can disagree with the theories all you want-but to say you don't believe in the simple process of special evolution, well...that's just plain foolish.
  2. Joined
    24 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 12:20
    As much as I share your beliefs you haven't really given us a reason why we should change the name "evolution" to something else.
  3. Joined
    07 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 12:29
    well, evolution carries with it a stigma: as soon as people hear the word, they immidiately discredit it without even listening. I was tyring to illustrate that evolution is not really a theory, but a process, and that the theories surrounding our history are actually many in number and very stratified even in the scientific community.

The point about the name is that you could change the name to say "specieality," and then could debate the topic without the stigma.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 15:24
    Originally posted by sear november
    well, evolution carries with it a stigma: as soon as people hear the word, they immidiately discredit it without even listening. I was tyring to illustrate that evolution is not really a theory, but a process, and that the theories surrounding our history are actually many in number and very stratified even in the scientific community.

The point ...[text shortened]... ould change the name to say "specieality," and then could debate the topic without the stigma.
    More time in school and less time in the church and you might find many people who don't even realize there are dumb people that actually buy into creationism.

P-
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 18:49

The point ...[text shortened]... ould change the name to say "specieality," and then could debate the topic without the stigma.
    There are people who believe that substances can be changed into other substances simply by the word of a man. The thing is, they retain all the characteristics of the original substances, yet become something else.

So I guess there will always be people who think that names are more important than reality ....
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 14:48
    Since the uttering of the word "evolution," creates such a stir in men's hearts these days, I propose that we coin another term. Here is my reason:

Every intelligent person in the world will admit that an animal or plant that is better suited for it's environment has a better chance at survival. This, in my view, is simply not debatable. ...[text shortened]... believe in the simple process of special evolution, well...that's just plain foolish.
    Since the uttering of the words "evangelical fundamentalist," creates such a stir in men's hearts these days, I propose that we coin another term.

I propose 'bell end'
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 15:34
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    More time in school and less time in the church and you might find many people who don't even realize there are dumb people that actually buy into creationism.

P-
    I've been to many churches where you would be hard-pressed to find a single person who doesn't believe in evolution. But it should be pointed out that these are churches where the term "evolution" is also applied to theology and faith develpment. It is a sad person who remains on all fours theologically and has not learned to walk upright in faith and understanding.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:43

Every intelligent person in the world will admit that an animal or plant that is better suited for it's environment has a better chance at survival. This, in my view, is simply not debatable. ...[text shortened]... believe in the simple process of special evolution, well...that's just plain foolish.
    i thought genetic mutation is a whole different thing, that doesnt prove evolution is correct. evolution says that we were once apes or something and now we're humans. genetic mutation is only the differences of eye color, skin color etc. how do you get the change from monkey to human out of that? we have mutated, but not evolved if you ask me. the difference is evolving is from monkeys to humans, mutation is just different traits and genes being inherited but is the same species.
  9. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 21:57
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i thought genetic mutation is a whole different thing, that doesnt prove evolution is correct. evolution says that we were once apes or something and now we're humans. genetic mutation is only the differences of eye color, skin color etc. how do you get the change from monkey to human out of that? we have mutated, but not evolved if you ask me. the dif ...[text shortened]... to humans, mutation is just different traits and genes being inherited but is the same species.
    Hahaha. I recommend looking over the 'what's wrong with evolution' thread. It should answer all of your questions, plus maybe we could finally reach 3,000 posts.
  10. Joined
    07 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 09:50
    Wow, have you read this thread at all? That type of misconception is exactly why I began this thread! The theory that we evolved from apes is not evolution, exactly. Evollution is merely a process that occurs, whther you believe that we came from apes or not.

A genetic mutation is simply a natural change that occurs in an organism, and it can be anything at all...physical attributes, intelligence or anything. If the mutation causes you to be better suited for your environment, it lasts and is passed on. That's evolution, and you cannot debate that it doesn't occur!

You can debate whether we came from apes all day (and people will) but that is only a theory.

Incidentally, humans and chimpanzees have 98% of the same genes.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 13:56
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
    I don't think evolution dispells the notion of creationism, rather, I believe abiogenesis attampts to do this. Now if you attempt to go and prove the theory of abiogenesis I think you would be hard pressed to do so.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 13:57

Great post!!!!!!!!

I would req you if I could.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 00:22

So this would be the Atheist's answer to so-called theists changing "Creation Science"
    (Barf!) to "Intelligent Design" (GAG!) (Oxymoron's, eh)
    But "evolution" is so perfect a word. I can't see another word taking its place. "Ecological development"? Biomatrixology? "Dumb luck"?
    "Biocology'?
  14. Joined
    07 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 06:58
    well, that's a good point, but that is why I recommended "speciation," meaning the creation of new species, which is what occurs due to this process. I know it doesn't have a ring to it, so i am open to ideas.

So much of our prejudices have to do with language though! People who know nothing about the process will shun it ignorantly simply because you use the term "evolution."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree