1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:041 edit
    An interview with my friend Joe

Q. Thankyou for coming Joe, how are you?
    A. Good thanks.

Q I understand that you are an atheist Joe, may I ask a few questions?
    A. Yes.

Q. What is an atheist?
    A. An atheist is a person who does not accept blindly, that a transcendental supreme being is responsible for all that exists.

Q. What is responsible for all that exists Joe?
    A. The big bang.

Q. What is the big bang Joe?
    A. A long time ago, when there was absolutely nothing, there was a big explosion, and now I live in Hollywood and drive a BMW.

Q. What actually exploded a long time ago Joe?
    A. Well we don’t know for sure, but it did, and now I drive a BMW.

Q. What caused the thing that you don’t know what it was, to explode Joe?
    A. We don’t know what caused the unknown thing to explode, but we know for sure that it did.

Q. When the unknown thing exploded, how did it create all the universes, with all the planets, and with all the complex life forms including us, and all the complex laws that govern the whole thing Joe.

A. Well being a scientist myself, I discussed this very question with my buddy scientist friends, and we all agree that it was a bloody miracle, but once the miracle happened, it kept on growing and growing to this present day, and now I drive a BMW.

Q. Joe do you believe in miracles?
    A. Of course not, Iam a scientist, and if I cant see it, or taste it, or hear it, or feel it, then I don’t accept it., and my buddy’s and me agreed to call it a random accident, because we are scientists.

Q. I see, so there is no way that a God could have been involved in the design and creation of everything?
    A. No way, we are scientists, and we don’t believe in anything we cant directly perceive.

Q. What if there is a God and you just cant understand that Joe?
    A We are scientists, and the government has given us lots of money to buy microscopes and test tubes, and so far in our laboratories, we haven’t found any evidence of this God .

Q. Joe, are you doing the right experiments to find this God, that billions of people talk of?
    A Yes we are, do you think I am a fool,…we have very powerful electron microscopes, and we could not find God anywhere, and when no one was looking, I even called out to God, but he didn’t come, and that’s the decisive proof, that this God doesn’t exist.

Q. Well Joe, that’s about all the time we have today, is there anything else you want to say?
    A Yes, I wish all the theists would get real, because I am a scientist and drive a BMW, and the scientists are the keepers of truth, because we have done all the scientific experiments and they haven’t.

Thankyou Joe, may we continue this later………Ok, but next time can you ask some easier questions
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:07
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Why on earth would I want to do that?....well to have a mocked up interview with them from the ABC.

A. Good thanks.

A. Yes.

Q. What is an atheist?
    A. An atheist is a person who does not accept blindly, that a transcendental supreme ...[text shortened]...
    Thankyou Joe, may we continue this later………Ok, but next time can you ask some easier questions
    hey Joe where ya going with that gun in your hand ?
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:24

A. Good thanks.

A. Yes.

Q. What is an atheist?
    A. An atheist is a person who does not accept blindly, that a transcendental supreme being is responsible for all that exists.

Q. What is responsible ...[text shortened]...
    I think scientist Joe gave pretty weak answers, especially when trying to explain how the planets, life forms etc came about after the big bang.
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:441 edit

A. Good thanks.

A. Yes.

Q. What is an atheist?

If this is supposed to represent the “atheist position” from the scientific perspective then this is scientifically NOT the atheist position.

“...Q. What is the big bang Joe?
    A. A long time ago, when there was absolutely nothing, ...”

That is not what the big bag theory says; at no point in time in the universe's history was there “nothing”

“...and here was a big explosion, ...”

Technically, it wasn't an explosion; a common misconception.

“...Q. What actually exploded a long time ago Joe?...”

Nothing “exploded” because there was no “explosion”.

“...Q. What caused the thing that you don’t know what it was, to explode Joe? ...”

If the standard interpretation of the physical equations and simulations are correct, there was no “before” the big bang and therefore there could be no “cause” of the big bang. To something X to “cause” something Y, X must come BEFORE Y but that wouldn't logically be possible before time existed because there was no “before” time existed because that would be a logical contradiction.

“...Q. When the unknown thing exploded, how did it create all the universes, with all the planets, and with all the complex life forms including us, and all the complex laws that govern the whole thing Joe.

A. Well being a scientist myself, I discussed this very question with my buddy scientist friends, and we all agree that it was a bloody miracle, ...”

No we don't! What miracle?

http://www.msnucleus.org/membership/html/k-6/uc/earth/5/uce5_1a.html

+ evolution; neither are “miracles”.

“....Q. Joe do you believe in miracles?
    A. Of course not, Iam a scientist, and if I cant see it, or taste it, or hear it, or feel it, then I don’t accept it., and my buddy’s and me agreed to call it a random accident, because we are scientists....”

It is not the position of science that we came about by “random accident”. Just for starters, natural selection is not purely random and has a certain level of predictability.

“...Q. I see, so there is no way that a God could have been involved in the design and creation of everything?
    A. No way, we are scientists, and we don’t believe in anything we cant directly perceive....”

That is not true; we believe that electrons exists even though nobody has directly seen one.
    It is not against scientific method to accept indirect evidence as being as valid as direct evidence. There is no direct nor indirect evidence that there is a God.
  5. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:51
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    If this is supposed to represent the “atheist position” from the scientific perspective then this is scientifically NOT the atheist position.

That is not what the big bag theory says; at no point in time in the universe's history was there “nothing” ...[text shortened]... g as valid as direct evidence. There is no direct nor indirect evidence that there is a God.
    Yes. It makes me doubt the credentials of this "scientist". 🙂
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 11:16
    Hey, my buddies are deserting me!

Joe
  7. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 11:56
    Joe must be one of the new Scientists. His answers were not very good at all. I don't think a Theist would have much to worry about if debating Joe. 😀
  8. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 12:411 edit
    Hey,.... Joe,s not finished, he,s coming back later on to answer some more questions!...and maybe he will get right next time.
  9. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 15:23
    i think the easter bunny caused the big bang
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 16:00
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton

That is not what the big bag theory says; at no point in time in the universe's history was there “nothing” ...[text shortened]... g as valid as direct evidence. There is no direct nor indirect evidence that there is a God.
    Well said
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 16:01
    Hey,.... Joe,s not finished, he,s coming back later on to answer some more questions!...and maybe he will get right next time.
    Hopefully, he'll get a degree in physics and astonomy.
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 17:32
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Judging by his answers so far, I don't think he will unless either his IQ miraculously jumps-up by 40 points or there is something seriously wrong with the examination and marking system for degrees that lets any idiot pass with flying colours.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 17:44
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    He'll probably get muddled up and choose psychics and astrology
  14. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 20:32

A. Good thanks.

A. Yes.

Q. What is an atheist?

huhuhu LOL Well being a scientist myself, I discussed this very question with my buddy scientist friends, and we all agree that it was a bloody miracle, but once the miracle happened, it kept on growing and growing to this present day, and now I drive a BMW.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree