1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 03:02
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+17&version=NIV

Leviticus 17 is set during Moses' time. The dates I have for Moses are birth in 1392 BCE and death in 1271 BCE (which means he was 121 years old at death; this is possible but still a remarkably old age even by modern standards).

The Egyptian Empire at the time of Moses' birth occupied Judea and had enslaved the Jewish people and carted them off to Egypt to build pyramids or whatever. Rival Indo-European empires challenged the Egyptians from the north. Iranians come from these people. They used chariots and were related to Europeans and western Asians.

Moses grew up as a favored adopted son of an Egyptian Pharoah. Then, as is well known, he led a slave rebellion that eventually freed the Hebrews. Along the way he had divine revelations. Leviticus is part of the record of the revelations that Moses said he had.

Leviticus 17:1-9 records that the god of Moses knows that animals are being sacrificed to some sort of ancient pagan goat god (ia! ia! Shub-Niggurath!). He demands that these animal sacrifices be to HIM instead of the goat god. Anyone who dares sacrifice animals out in the fields to the goat god pisses him off, for YHWH is a jealous god.

Leviticus 17:10-16 record dietary laws related to the sacrifices.

Leviticus 17:12 is part of the justification Jehovah's Witnesses use when they refuse to allow blood transfusions.

In my opinion this is a false interpretation of Leviticus.

What Leviticus 17:10-14 is really about, in my opinion is the following:

The god of Moses revealed to him that it is morally WRONG to eat animals alive.

What does that have to do with blood? Well, the blood is life, as the Scripture tells us. If the animal has blood in it, it might still be alive. Before you eat it make sure it's DEAD by draining it of blood.

Leviticus 17:15-16 has to do with eating carrion and roadkill. It just says people who eat roadkill are gross and need to make sure they thoroughly wash so they don't spread nasty diseases.

What do you think?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 06:363 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Leviticus 17 is set during Moses' time. The dates I have for Moses are birth in 1392 BCE and death in 1271 BCE (which means he was 121 years old at death; this is possible but still a remarkably old age even by modern standards).

The Egyptian Empire at the time of Moses' birth o make sure they thoroughly wash so they don't spread nasty diseases.

What do you think?
    These rules were put in effect while Moses and the Israelites were in the wilderness and i think there was at least two reasons for this. It was to break with the old way of living that they were used to in Egypt of worshipping false gods, like a golden calf or a goat-man god and the other was for sanitary reasons and protection from disease. Burning the meat in sacrifices was a way of cooking it to kill disease causing organism, as well as teach them a new religion that was to come with the sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for the sins of the people. Moses changed some of these rules in Deuteronomy 12 when they were to enter into the promised land. For example:

“When the Lord your God enlarges your border as He has promised you, and you say, ‘Let me eat meat,’ because you long to eat meat, you may eat as much meat as your heart desires. If the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, then you may slaughter from your herd and from your flock which the Lord has given you, just as I have commanded you, and you may eat within your gates as much as your heart desires. Just as the gazelle and the deer are eaten, so you may eat them; the unclean and the clean alike may eat them. Only be sure that you do not eat the blood, for the blood is the life; you may not eat the life with the meat. You shall not eat it; you shall pour it on the earth like water. You shall not eat it, that it may go well with you and your children after you, when you do what is right in the sight of the Lord. Only the holy things which you have, and your vowed offerings, you shall take and go to the place which the Lord chooses. And you shall offer your burnt offerings, the meat and the blood, on the altar of the Lord your God; and the blood of your sacrifices shall be poured out on the altar of the Lord your God, and you shall eat the meat. Observe and obey all these words which I command you, that it may go well with you and your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.

(Deuteronomy 12:20-28 NKJV)

When Moses says, "You shall not eat it, that it may go well with you and your children after you, when you do what is right in the sight of the Lord." he was referring to it will go well for their healthy bodies and for their souls, when they do what is right in the sight of the Lord. For the shed blood is later to represent the shed blood of Christ as a remission of sin to give us eternal life.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 06:40

The Egyptian Empire at the time of Moses' birth ...[text shortened]... o make sure they thoroughly wash so they don't spread nasty diseases.

What do you think?
    In order for the blood to be drained properly the animal needs to be slaughtered alive,
    so that its heart pumps the blood out of the system, if the animal is already dead, it
    cannot be bled properly.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 06:452 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    In order for the blood to be drained properly the animal needs to be slaughtered alive,
    so that its heart pumps the blood out of the system, if the animal is already dead, it
    cannot be bled properly.
    Yes, that is true and it my have died due to some disease that will infect the people and also the teaching of the atonement idea of Christ that is to come is lost as well because there can be no shedding of blood.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 06:50
    cannot be bled properly.
    Ever had a steak? See that red stuff left on the plate? Know what it is?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 06:571 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    again relevance to the original post and question posed by a thousand young, zero.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 07:461 edit
    I never see any red or pink stuff. I Have my steaks cooked very well-done.

P.S. That way, any blood that may not have drained out is cooked out.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 11:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I never see any red or pink stuff. I Have my steaks cooked very well-done.

P.S. That way, any blood that may not have drained out is cooked out.
    And it has the texture and taste of shoe leather.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 11:56
    cannot be bled properly.
    In order for the blood to be drained properly the animal needs to be slaughtered alive

I am a little perplexed how it is possible to slaughter a dead animal.
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 12:051 edit
    Yes, it is myoglobin, not blood.

http://www.theurbanshogun.com/2010/12/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-isnt-actually-blood.html
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/INT-what-meat-color.html
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

--- Penguin.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 12:56

The Egyptian Empire at the time of Moses' birth ...[text shortened]... o make sure they thoroughly wash so they don't spread nasty diseases.

What do you think?
    Ten Commandments ATY, what are they?

Is it, "Do not have any other gods before me" or "Thou shalt not drink blood?" It is the former.

The issue here is obvious as it is throughout the Bible. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Secondarly, it is not a good idea to drink blood for obvious medical reasons.

Any more questions I can answer for ya?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 20:23
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]In order for the blood to be drained properly the animal needs to be slaughtered alive

I am a little perplexed how it is possible to slaughter a dead animal.[/b]
    dont get wide.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 21:00
    again relevance to the original post and question posed by a thousand young, zero.
    Is that your hypocrisy getting in the way of you posting about Irom Maiden in this thread too...?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 21:091 edit
    Is that your hypocrisy getting in the way of you posting about Irom Maiden in this thread too...?
    As i stated, if you post something of interest to me, I may comment otherwise, posts
    like this hold very little interest to be honest, if you want to bitch about people, ask
    Russ for a bitchin forum, you would do well there.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 21:151 edit
    I have posted in site ideas, petitioned Russ for a bitchin forum, hopefully he will
    acquiesce and you can go and bitch there all you like - regards Robbie.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree