1. Meddling with things
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 22:34
    Why has 'liberal' become a perjorative in the US.

1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
    4. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
    1. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
    2. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
    3. Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
    4. Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.
    1. Archaic. Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
    2. Obsolete. Morally unrestrained; licentious.

n.

1. A person with liberal ideas or opinions.
    2. Liberal A member of a Liberal political party.

[Middle English, generous, from Old French, from Latin līberālis, from līber, free.]

In a nation 'conceived in liberty' one might expect that liberal would be a handle to be proud of. Please explain
  2. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 22:59
    In Australia, those who vote for the Liberal Party of Australia are voting for a conservative, bigotted, religious and orthodox and hindbound party. Contradictions never cease in the English language.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 23:16
    I presume that the term liberal has come to be associated with middle class home owners with relatively secure lives and better than average education and income. With fewer pressures in life, this group may seem less decisive about certain issues. Groups that have a large amount of pressure will generally have more powerful views on government, whilst liberals are more likely to be accepting or dismissive. In recent years with events like 9/11 and the Iraq invasion, liberals have perhaps been the butt of anger which realistically should be pointed elsewhere. The issues of patriotism, religion etc. require (in the current western world mind) a certain decisiveness which I think liberals have become dis-associated from.
  4. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 23:25
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I presume that the term liberal has come to be associated with middle class home owners with relatively secure lives and better than average education and income. With fewer pressures in life, this group may seem less decisive about certain issues. Groups that have a large amount of pressure will generally have more powerful views on government, whilst li ...[text shortened]... stern world mind) a certain decisiveness which I think liberals have become dis-associated from.

I think liberals see the world in shades of grey and are not black and white in their reactions to things as conservatives tend to be. This is why you can say that they are less 'decisive'.

In dealing with terrorism I don't think we need "decisiveness" for every decision. I think we need to out think the terrorists. After all, they clearly only think in black and white, and liberals with their more complex interpretation of problems can probably come up with better solutions to terrorism than simply the 'blow 'em up' approach.
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 09:052 edits
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Why has 'liberal' become a perjorative in the US.

1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    2. Favoring proposals for re ...[text shortened]... pect that liberal would be a handle to be proud of. Please explain
    How about the constant deluge of right-wing propaganda?

Especially from the religious groups
  6. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 09:15
    To me, liberalism is anti-extremism. I guess this comes under the umbrella of "less decisive". I think the fundamental quality of a genuine liberal is to accept that one cannot form opinions of everything and that being decisive on many issues is very suspicious.

The United States is the guardian of capitalism. You could go so far as to say that the US is an extremist capitalist nation (particularly with the current government). By its very nature, liberalism struggles to make inroads in such an environment, in the same way it would in a dictatorship. Facisim and capitalism have a lot in common...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree