1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 03:44
    "Life on earth is about timing and timing is often everything."

No matter what year we were born, none of us on this spirituality forum nor our family members or trusted friends have any guarantee of tomorrow: the unit of measure of life on earth is one day at a time. An inconvenient truth is that our private decisions determine our happiness and fulfillment or frustration and misery in time as well as our eternal destiny. Thoughts?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '14 03:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Life on earth is about timing and timing is often everything."

No matter what year we were born, none of us on this spirituality forum nor our family members or trusted friends have any guarantee of tomorrow: the unit of measure of life on earth is one day at a time. An inconvenient truth is that our private decisions determine our happiness and fulfillment or frustration and misery in time as well as our eternal destiny. Thoughts?[/b]
    I certainly think that for many people, convincing themselves that there is some sort of "eternal destiny" may help them to navigate the "frustration and misery" of their lives. And if it works and doesn't interfere too much with others, then I see little harm in it.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 09:50
    [b]"Life on earth is about timing and timing is often everything."

No matter what year we were born, none of us on this spirituality forum nor our family members or trusted friends have any guarantee of tomorrow: the unit of measure of life on earth is one day at a time. An inconvenient truth is that our private decisions determine our happiness and fulfillment or frustration and misery in time as well as our eternal destiny. Thoughts?[/b]
    Our oldest passed away 13 days past her first birthday, so I get that none
    of us are promised tomorrow. Far more wake up on the day they die with
    the belief that day is going to be just like all the rest when in fact it will not
    be.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 10:00
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Our oldest passed away 13 days past her first birthday, so I get that none
    of us are promised tomorrow. Far more wake up on the day they die with
    the belief that day is going to be just like all the rest when in fact it will not
    be.
    Does your belief in an afterlife help you cope with things like these?
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 03:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    I certainly think that for many people, convincing themselves that there is some sort of "eternal destiny" may help them to navigate the "frustration and misery" of their lives. And if it works and doesn't interfere too much with others, then I see little harm in it.
    Yep, you're right. You should know about how people spend their time convincing themselves that Jesus is alive from the dead seeing that that is what you did until you wised up!
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 04:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yep, you're right. You should know about how people spend their time convincing themselves that Jesus is alive from the dead seeing that that is what you did until you wised up!
    Religion brings comfort to many people in troubled times. I speak from personal experience.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 04:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Religion brings comfort to many people in troubled times. I speak from personal experience.
    "Religion" is made by men as are pharmaceuticals and Huxley's fictitious "Soma". Christianity is a relationship.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 04:521 edit
    "Religion" is made by men as are pharmaceuticals and Huxley's fictitious "Soma". Christianity is a relationship.
    Christianity is a religion alongside many others. Muslims claim their religion involves a direct relationship with God too. It's still a religion. Pretending that Christianity is not a religion does not add any mystique or significance to its doctrines, figures and folk stories. Pretending that Christianity is not a religion has everything to do with the self-regard of those of its adherents who like to indulge themselves in this particular brand of pretending. Claiming it is a relationship and not a religion no doubt brings comfort to many Christians in troubled times.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 05:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Christianity is a religion alongside many others. Muslims claim their religion involves a direct relationship with God too. It's still a religion. Pretending that Christianity is not a religion does not add any mystique or significance to its doctrines, figures and folk stories. Pretending that Christianity is not a religion has everything to do with the self-re ...[text shortened]... a relationship and not a religion no doubt brings comfort to many Christians in troubled times.
    It's your soul's eternal destiny. Choose wisely. No further discussion warranted.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 05:27
    It's your soul's eternal destiny. Choose wisely. No further discussion warranted.
    If your talk of the "soul's eternal destiny" helps you cope with the inevitability of death, and with what you describe as the "frustration and misery" of life, not to mention the "depravity" of your fellow humans, then good for you.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 05:401 edit
    “As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourishes. But the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.” Psalms 103: 15-16.

“Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour that appeareth for a little time, and then vanishes away.” James 4:14.

“How can one meditate on live without meditating too on its brevity, its precariousness, its fragility?” Andre Comte-Sponville

“Whatever can happen at any time can happen today.” ―Seneca, On the Shortness of Life
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 05:551 edit
    Originally quoted by Grampy Bobby
    “How can one meditate on live without meditating too on its brevity, its precariousness, its fragility?”
    Life's brevity, precariousness, fragility are what, in part, give it its preciousness and meaning. On the other hand, the human condition has long had people seeking to cope with this brevity, precariousness, and fragility, by conjuring up "meaning" through superstition and mythology. This can indeed offer so much solace that its proponents start telling non-believers that they can somehow "choose" to believe in something that they simply do not believe.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 20:06
    "It's your soul's eternal destiny. Choose wisely. No further discussion warranted."

We don't need no stinkin' warrant!
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 14:421 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    "It's your soul's eternal destiny. Choose wisely. No further discussion warranted."

We don't need no stinkin' warrant!
    Au contraire, JS. As a believer in Christ respecting the free will [volitional choice] to accept or reject God's Grace Gift of eternal life isn't a prerogative; it's a given. How can I presume to coerce an unbeliever's will when God Himself respects it?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 15:05
    Au contraire, JS. As a believer in Christ respecting the free will [volitional choice] to accept or reject God's Grace Gift of eternal life isn't a prerogative; it's a given. How can I presume to coerce an unbeliever's will when God Himself respects it?
    You peddle a bizarre notion of supernatural revenge and punishment by way of eternal agony perpetrated upon those unable to believe your religionist dogma. You have some cheek claiming that the word "coerce" does not belong in the context of your ghastly ideology. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree