1. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    05 May '13 14:35
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Quack quack quackity quack.

You got something that one might call real evidence? I don't happen to agree that showing some connection between a book and the real world is evidence of a god of any kind. If you want to go that way then you must show some evidence that the book you are pulling the connections from is not just a work of fiction.
    yes i do but you just choose to ignore it don't you
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 May '13 14:43
    Originally posted by tim88
    yes i do but you just choose to ignore it don't you
    I am not trying to convince you that the big grumpy sky fairy doesn't exist, I don't give a tuppenny damn whether or not you choose to believe in mythical nonsense. You, however, wish to convince me of the existence of your god. So go to it, convince me.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 May '13 17:19
    I am not trying to convince you that the big grumpy sky fairy doesn't exist, I don't give a tuppenny damn whether or not you choose to believe in mythical nonsense. You, however, wish to convince me of the existence of your god. So go to it, convince me.
    I realy don't want to convince you anymore, so PREPARE YOURSELF FOR HELLFIRE!

The Instructor
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 May '13 17:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I realy don't want to convince you anymore, so PREPARE YOURSELF FOR HELLFIRE!

The Instructor
    Haven't we been here before? Oh yes, I remember.

Hellfire, my arse.
  5. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 May '13 17:49
    Haven't we been here before? Oh yes, I remember.

Hellfire, my arse.
    Chillies can do that!
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 May '13 17:51
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Chillies can do that!
    That's it! I have found god! I shall evermore worship the great and holy chilli.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 May '13 21:04
    Kumquats!!!!

I think I prefer throwing fruit about to serious discussions with theists. Releases the inner chimp so to speak.

Raspberries!!! Long, wet ones for RJ.
    Bananas do not reproduce or adapt.
    But I think we can agree that a banana tree is alive.
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 May '13 22:13
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Sorry? Bananas don't reproduce?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_acuminata

Domesticated ones may not but wild ones certainly do. What did you think we domesticated them from?

--- Penguin
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 May '13 02:281 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Sorry? Bananas don't reproduce?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_acuminata

Domesticated ones may not but wild ones certainly do. What did you think we domesticated them from?

--- Penguin
    I'm talking about the curvy yellow thing that we eat!

Its a sterile hybrid of two other species and is only propagated by cuttings.

As far as I am aware the original "parent" plants have inedible fruit.

btw We didn't "domesticate" them as such. The cross fertilisation is common and happens naturally.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '13 04:50
    I have actually seen bananas with seeds. I don't know if they were fertile.
    However, asexual reproduction by cuttings is still reproduction, and bananas can evolve albeit slower than sexually reproducing organisms.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 May '13 07:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have actually seen bananas with seeds. I don't know if they were fertile.
    However, asexual reproduction by cuttings is still reproduction, and bananas [b]can
    evolve albeit slower than sexually reproducing organisms.[/b]
    Cuttings require human intervention ... but I guess you could call that
    symbiosis!
    Is there evolution through cuttings? I thought that all bananas of one
    species were essentially clones.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '13 08:47
    Cuttings require human intervention ... but I guess you could call that
    symbiosis!
    It doesn't matter what it requires, it is reproduction nonetheless. Vegetative reproduction is commonplace in plants and only in particular domesticated species does it require human intervention. Bananas reproduce perfectly well without human intervention, it is only long distance transport that requires humans. Bananas evolved this method of reproduction prior to human domestication. They also reproduced via sexual mechanisms - hence the fruit.

Is there evolution through cuttings? I thought that all bananas of one species were essentially clones.
    Yes there is evolution. Clones are never perfect copies. Even the cells in your body are not perfect copies of one another. As I said, evolution is slower as there is reduced mixing of gene-pools, which is why sexual evolution is so successful. I must note though that plants are quite good at swapping genes via virus' etc and this is often inter-species.

Note that there are a number of varieties of bananas. Where did you think they came from? Actually many banana varieties can reproduce sexually, but I am sure that some varieties arose through vegetative reproduction.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 May '13 01:33
    It doesn't matter what it requires, it is reproduction nonetheless. Vegetative reproduction is commonplace in plants and only in particular domesticated species does it require human intervention. Bananas reproduce perfectly well without human intervention, it is only long distance transport that requires humans. Bananas evolved this method of reproductio ...[text shortened]... n reproduce sexually, but I am sure that some varieties arose through vegetative reproduction.
    The world's sexiest fruit is a sterile, seedless mutant - and therein lies a problem. The banana is genetically old and decrepit. It has been at an evolutionary standstill ever since it was first propagated in the jungles of South-East Asia at the end of the last ice age

from http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17723784.800-going-bananas.html?full=true

and ... because developing new varieties without the help of sexual reproduction is expensive and time-consuming.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '13 04:57
    The world's sexiest fruit is a sterile, seedless mutant - and therein lies a problem. The banana is genetically old and decrepit. It has been at an evolutionary standstill ever since it was first propagated in the jungles of South-East Asia at the end of the last ice age

from http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17723784.800-going-bananas.html ...[text shortened]... ping new varieties without the help of sexual reproduction is expensive and time-consuming.[/i]
    A bit of a contradiction there. If it is at an evolutionary stand still no new varieties can possibly arise. If you read the Wikipedia page you will find there are not only several species, varieties withing species and also hybrids. I can recall eating at least three different varieties.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '13 05:11
    A bit of a contradiction there. If it is at an evolutionary stand still no new varieties can possibly arise. If you read the Wikipedia page you will find there are not only several species, varieties withing species and also hybrids. I can recall eating at least three different varieties.
    I think they are referring to macroevolution, a.k.a. evil-lution.

The instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree