1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '12 20:14
    Originally posted by Taoman
    JS, I'll just put in a bit here on your question to mike. I'm not sure myself what the "joke" was exactly but he may explain that.
    Your experience of Buddhism is about as much as many westerners get often. And it is confusing because there are three main streams, or "vehicles or schools of Buddhism. They differ in their practice, monk vows, and where they g ...[text shortened]... r or lesser degree by the Mahayana Zen 'view', with its koans and sutras.

Cheers.
    Thanks. One conclusion I have drawn is that Buddhism, like most if not all successful meaning widely followed religions, has a deep philosophical tradition and also has room for those who merely want to burn their incense and express, in ritual, their practical wishes to their gods.

But I will yield to the intent of the thread.

Knock knock.
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '12 23:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    Thanks. One conclusion I have drawn is that Buddhism, like most if not all successful meaning widely followed religions, has a deep philosophical tradition and also has room for those who merely want to burn their incense and express, in ritual, their practical wishes to their gods.

Knock knock.
    lol.Very good.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 00:39
    The Zen master asks his deaf acolyte 'Grasshopper, what is the sound of one hand clapping'?
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 02:25

Knock knock.
    Apologies for not responding sooner. ( That's also a joke in itself... 😉 )

Taoman is 100% CORRECT that I practice Theravada Buddhism, primarily the Buddhism of Thailand.

There were adverse and converse 'humours' in my response as 'best joke', primarily in the essence of the Western views having to convey the Eastern view, when that itself is an empty vessel in which to convey such.

Buddhism has never called for attention, and certainly not as such in being 'represented' in the Western world, although it is a good essence that people are turning to philosophy and bringing religion home to within themselves, as opposed to not fleeing indoctrination and looking 'elsewhere' for answers that are, indeed, within oneself.

My onus was that a western comprehension has never been requested; thus to find real traits it is indeed necessary to observe and learn from the truist disciplines of monks and the 'hierarchy' - who never give demonstrations. Observing is simply enough to find paths for oneself.

The mere fact that 'demonstrations', as even you say you observed on a 'tourism' set in Vietnam, are not the true state of getting onto the paths of nobility, in its succinct measure - if it can be measured. Therefore, the movers of Buddhism from east to west, mainly and primarily westerners, were actually in breach of the fundamentals, as the true holders of Theravada would never advertise themselves or form schools outside of the culture. Thus, in the West, Buddhism has almost been marketed - and that is a far distance from the true essence. However, I won't take away from that, nor say it isn't a good thing. What I do say is that adaptation has taken place to suit the 'needs' of a Western viewer, and needs are the whole objective of things to be rid of as a true Buddhist. Hence the 'paradox' - which was what amused me.

I could go on ad infinitum.........

-m. 😉
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 02:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The Zen master asks his deaf acolyte 'Grasshopper, what is the sound of one hand clapping'?
    A book tightly shut is but a block of paper!

-m.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 06:03
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Apologies for not responding sooner. ( That's also a joke in itself... 😉 )

Taoman is 100% CORRECT that I practice Theravada Buddhism, primarily the Buddhism of Thailand.

There were adverse and converse 'humours' in my response as 'best joke', primarily in the essence of the Western views having to convey the Eastern view, when that itself is an empty ...[text shortened]... which was what amused me.

I could go on ad infinitum.........

-m. 😉
    Thanks,

as to your comment

"I could go on ad infinitum......... "

I find it fitting and funny, in the situation at hand.
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 08:53
    Thanks,

as to your comment

"I could go on ad infinitum......... "

I find it fitting and funny, in the situation at hand.
    You are more accute, and ascertained, than you perhaps would let a monk judge you bye!

Humour is and ever shall be, even in the most extremes.... unless one is totally in Nirvana state, and even then........ light relief!

-m. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree