1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 13:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    Please tell us you showed a little restraint and did not throw your underware on stage.
    He would let Dawkins take down his genes any day.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 14:051 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    I can understand why you would disagree with him, and he is certainly unapologetic about his position. I can tell you though that no matter how you feel about his opinion toward faith, you (particularly) would be impressed with his amazing eloquence and sharp intellect. He could insult every one of your female relatives, and your first response would be, "Damn! That was incredible."
    Absolutely. Everything I have read of his is beyond the pale of the average intellect, and I consider it a privilege to observe man at his best in any endeavor... a painfully small group of people to which RD clearly belongs.

However, with as much bliss in the beholding there exists an equal measure of pain in the cosideration that such a towering intellect would allow his abilities to become so distracted in reactionary zeal. Man being what he is, religion is the cockroach of his behaviorial mechanisms. Reason is the round-toed shoe hopelessly stomping at the pest, smirking securely from the corner. Why RD isn't able to see this is beyond me. Apparently razor-sharp intellect cuts both ways: for sight and against it.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 14:372 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Where does he stand on the whole Creation v. Evolution debate?
    Why must it be creation vs. evolution? If I recall, evolution does not address our origins, no? It kind of reminds me of the days of Galileo when he was called a heritic by saying the universe did not revolve around the sun. Those who knew the scinetific truth could have either thrown out religion because it chose to pick a fight with that particular scientific finding or they could have realized that their findings in no way contradict the original text of which their religion is based. I can just see RD giving a lecture back in the time of galileo and smugly saying that religion is preposterous becuase the universe does, in fact, not revolve around the sun.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 15:02
    Why must it be creation vs. evolution? If I recall, evolution does not address our origins, no? It kind of reminds me of the days of Galileo when he was called a heritic by saying the universe did not revolve around the sun. Those who knew the scinetific truth could have either thrown out religion because it chose to pick a fight with that particular scien ...[text shortened]... ng that religion is preposterous becuase the universe does, in fact, not revolve around the sun.
    Have you read any Dawkins? He does not confine his argument against faith to pointing out its conflicts with science.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 19:24
    Originally posted by telerion
    Have you read any Dawkins? He does not confine his argument against faith to pointing out its conflicts with science.
    I can't say that I have read a great deal from him. OK, I'll bite, so what other arguements does he use against faith to give him the gonads to say that creationism is a preposterous, mind shrinking, falsehood? From such a statement, I see humility appears to be one of his greatest attributes.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 23:20
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The man has to have something to counter balance the vanity and emptiness he must feel within. Maybe his followers will actually think he's enjoying life.
    Why do you feel that he must feel "empty"? You're not going to start all that "all atheists are nialists" crap, are you? What's so wrong with vanity?
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 23:23
    I can't say that I have read a great deal from him. OK, I'll bite, so what other arguements does he use against faith to give him the gonads to say that creationism is a preposterous, mind shrinking, falsehood? From such a statement, I see humility appears to be one of his greatest attributes.
    Well, for a start he points out that creationism is simply the ultimate incarnation of saltationist thinking, which is against all evidence. He also makes the (valid) point that "goddunit" thinking is just intellectually giving up.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 23:53
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Well, for a start he points out that creationism is simply the ultimate incarnation of saltationist thinking, which is against all evidence. He also makes the (valid) point that "goddunit" thinking is just intellectually giving up.
    Akin to his explanation of the existence of matter, to be sure.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:25
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Akin to his explanation of the existence of matter, to be sure.
    Matter requires no explanation.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:33
    You are so easily satisfied?
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 00:43
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You are so easily satisfied?
    I would not say that the theory of relativity is such an "easy" proof. However, all your questions are time dependant, which is ludicrous if time doesn't exist.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:181 edit
    God requires the same amount of explanation for the theist as matter does for the atheist and that is no explanation required.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:22
    God requires the same amount of explanation for the theist as matter does for the atheist and that is no explanation required.
    Hmmm, that's perhaps true. Certainly we've more evidence for the existance of matter than you lot have for God though.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:22
    I completly and wholeheartidly disagree. Are there no Christian scientists? Of coarse there are. After all, I have brought many to your attention in the past. Do these scientists just throw up their hands and say "Goddunnit"? No, they in fact go about their job just as the atheist.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 03:29
    I completly and wholeheartidly disagree. Are there no Christian scientists? Of coarse there are. After all, I have brought many to your attention in the past. Do these scientists just throw up their hands and say "Goddunnit"? No, they in fact go about their job just as the atheist.
    You don't see many Christian evolutionary biologists though, do you? Or many Chriatian paleobiologists? The reason? It'd mess with their faith. Goddunit is the ultimate cop-out - no further explanation required. As long as someone has the concept in their brain that any particular phenomenon may be a "miracle" or magic, then they have no requirement for further investigation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree