1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:232 edits
    . . . last evening at my school. There were about 700 of us in a small auditorium. Now I've always enjoyed his books and submissions to Free Inquiry, but to hear him live is very special indeed.

Three things that I learned about him after meeting him in person:
    First, he is much taller than I expected. He's probably about 6' or maybe a bit taller. Second, he is very patient and polite. He showed tremendous courtesy when responding to questions from critics and was just as pleasant when I met him in booksigning; I was near the end of a very long line. Finally, he has an unbelievable grasp on the English language. Those who have read his work have witnessed this in his writing, but let me assure you he can do the same with his speech when he answers questions on the spot!

I must say that the hour we all spent in his presence was nothing short of spiritual, and it was far better than any sermon or revival meeting I attended as a xian.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:29
    Originally posted by telerion
    . . . last evening at my school. There were about 700 of us in a small auditorium. Now I've always enjoyed his books and submissions to Free Inquiry, but to hear him live is very special indeed.

Three things that I learned about him after meeting him in person.
    First, he is much taller than I expected. He's probably about 6' or maybe a bi ...[text shortened]... of spiritual, and it was far better than any sermon or revival meeting I attended as a xian.
    Where does he stand on the whole Creation v. Evolution debate?
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:33
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Where does he stand on the whole Creation v. Evolution debate?
    Dawkins is a critic of creationism, describing it as a "preposterous, mind-shrinking falsehood". His book The Blind Watchmaker is a critique of the argument from design, and his other popular-science works often touch on the topic. On the advice of his late colleague Stephen Jay Gould, Dawkins refuses to participate in debates with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want. He argues that creationists "don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters is that we give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public." Dawkins did, however, take part in the Oxford Union's 1986 Huxley Memorial Debate, in which he and John Maynard Smith defeated their creationist counterparts by 198 votes to 115.

In a December 2004 interview with Bill Moyers, Dawkins stated that "among the things that science does know, evolution is about as certain as anything we know." When Moyers later asked, "Is evolution a theory, not a fact?", Dawkins replied, "Evolution has been observed. It's just that it hasn't been observed while it's happening." Dawkins went on to say, "It is rather like a detective coming on a murder after the scene. And you… the detective hasn't actually seen the murder take place, of course. But what you do see is a massive clue ...Circumstantial evidence, but masses of circumstantial evidence. Huge quantities of circumstantial evidence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:37
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Dawkins is a critic of creationism, describing it as a "preposterous, mind-shrinking falsehood". His book The Blind Watchmaker is a critique of the argument from design, and his other popular-science works often touch on the topic. On the advice of his late colleague Stephen Jay Gould, Dawkins refuses to participate in debates with creationists because doi ...[text shortened]... of circumstantial evidence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins
    How can this be? Telerion described it as better than any sermon or revival he has attended as a Christian.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:45

Three things that I learned about him after meeting him in person.
    First, he is much taller than I expected. He's probably about 6' or maybe a bi ...[text shortened]... of spiritual, and it was far better than any sermon or revival meeting I attended as a xian.
    I am jealous - although I heard he turned up to a public lecture at Sheffield Uni in the UK in a gold plated Rolls Royse. That did diminish my respect for him a bit. I am glad to hear that he was so pleasant.
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:49
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I am jealous - although I heard he turned up to a public lecture at Sheffield Uni in the UK in a gold plated Rolls Royse. That did diminish my respect for him a bit. I am glad to hear that he was so pleasant.
    He was borrowing my car.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:51
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    He was borrowing my car.
    His was in the garage? Academic pay isn't that good! 😀
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 01:17
    His was in the garage? Academic pay isn't that good! 😀
    I'd hate to list the number of church organists driving gold-plated Roll's Royces. 😉
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 01:57

Wired's November issue lists Dick as one of the main writers in the cause of the new atheism. Even though the author of the article is sympathetic to the cause, Dick comes off as a rabid evangelist with an axe to grind.

Were his gripe only against religion, I'd be right beside him at the wheel. However, when he lumps all beliefs into the same bin, I must take exception at his characterizations and self-delusion.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 02:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Wired's November issue lists Dick as one of the main writers in the cause of the new atheism. Even though the author of the article is sympathetic to the cause, Dick comes off as a rabid evangelist with an axe to grind.

Were his gripe only against religion, I'd be right beside him at the wheel. However, when he lumps all beliefs into the same bin, I must take exception at his characterizations and self-delusion.
    😴

Same tired old crazies.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 02:22
    😴

Same tired old crazies.
    On this one, you are truly correct on all three parts. Tired, old and crazy. Touche. Just noticed that has an 'ouch' in it!
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 04:01

I can understand why you would disagree with him, and he is certainly unapologetic about his position. I can tell you though that no matter how you feel about his opinion toward faith, you (particularly) would be impressed with his amazing eloquence and sharp intellect. He could insult every one of your female relatives, and your first response would be, "Damn! That was incredible."
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 11:12

He is a bit rabid. But it's the sort of rabidness that appeals to reason rather than sentiment.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 13:05

Please tell us you showed a little restraint and did not throw your underware on stage.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 13:15
    The man has to have something to counter balance the vanity and emptiness he must feel within. Maybe his followers will actually think he's enjoying life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree