Lords evening meal, Nisan 14th, 2016.

Lords evening meal, Nisan 14th, 2016.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
23 Mar 16

Not to be a little pedantic but nowhere will you find in the entire Biblical cannon any reference to where Christ asks us to celebrate his resurrection. You will find however a reference to where he asks us to keep a memorial concerning his death, and today, calculated by the Jewish lunar calendar is that day, Nisan 14th. Today is the very same day that Christ would have ascended to the upper room in Jerusalem and celebrated the passover before instituting the New covenant with the disciples! Today is the very day he took the form of a slave and washed the feet of the disciples knowing that he was about to be betrayed and suffer an unjust and ignominious death. Today is the most sacred night of the Christian calendar.

If you have a Kingdom hall near to you you can observe this simple Christian ceremony of passing wine and unleavened bread as Christ taught the disciples to do in memory of his death. I include the passage below for your edification and consideration.

Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body, which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” Also, he did the same with the cup after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf. Luke 22:19

Moves
23 Mar 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Not to be a little pedantic but nowhere will you find in the entire Biblical cannon any reference to where Christ asks us to celebrate his resurrection. You will find however a reference to where he asks us to keep a memorial concerning his death, and today, calculated by the Jewish lunar calendar is that day, Nisan 14th. Today is the very same day ...[text shortened]... ns the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf. Luke 22:19
Enjoy your special date.

Moves
23 Mar 16

Not to be a little pedantic but nowhere will you find in the entire Biblical cannon any reference to where Christ asks us to celebrate his resurrection. You will find however a reference to where he asks us to keep a memorial concerning his death, and today, calculated by the Jewish lunar calendar is that day, Nisan 14th. Today is the very same day ...[text shortened]... ns the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf. Luke 22:19
That portion also goes on to say:

"For ‘as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you show the Lord's death until He shall come.”

I don't see any indication that the remembering should on be done on a certain day once per year.

rc

Moves
23 Mar 16

Originally posted by divegeester
Enjoy your special date.
I cannot I have flu like symptoms

rc

Moves
23 Mar 16

That portion also goes on to say:

[b]"For ‘as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you show the Lord's death until He shall come.”

I don't see any indication that the remembering should on be done on a certain day once per year.[/b]
The passover was a yearly celebration and seeing as you rightly state that we have nothing else to go on, this is the reason why we have also made the celebration of the Lords evening meal an annual cerebration.

Moves
23 Mar 16

The passover was a yearly celebration and seeing as you rightly state that we have nothing else to go on, this is the reason why we have also made the celebration of the Lords evening meal an annual cerebration.
I didn't say we don't have anything to go on I said we do have something to go on..this:

"For ‘as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you show the Lord's death until He shall come.”

To me this portion of scripture["for as often as you...] indicates that Christians should remember Christ's sacrifice as often as they are gathered together, or as often as is appropriate.

rc

Moves
23 Mar 16

I didn't say we don't have anything to go on I said we do have something to go on..this:

[b]"For ‘as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you show the Lord's death until He shall come.”

To me this portion of scripture["for as often as you...] indicates that Christians should remember Christ's sacrifice as often as they are gathered together, or as often as is appropriate.[/b]
ok but for us its an annual event like the passover.

Moves
23 Mar 16
1 edit

ok but for us its an annual event like the passover.
That's nice too and I don't disagree with your intent. however it is my belief that Christians are not beholden to festivals, Sabbaths or moons as we have been set free from the religious need to do so:

Colossians 2 from 14
14 ... having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.
15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
16 Therefore (i.e. because of that sacrifice) do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. (we are not required to follow rules of special dates)
17 These (special dates, Sabbaths and moons) are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

My emphasis obviously.

rc

Moves
23 Mar 16

That's nice too and I don't disagree with your intent. however it is my belief that Christians are not beholden to festivals, Sabbaths or moons as we have been set free from the religious need to do so:

Colossians 2 from 14
14 ... having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nail ...[text shortened]... he things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

My emphasis obviously.
yes but its not a festival, a Sabbath or the observance of a new moon, its a memorial remembrance of Jesus Christ and how he laid down his life for us. Get yourself along to Golders Green, or up to Barnet or along to Enfield mate. 7:30 after sundown.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Mar 16

"And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you." -- Luke 22:19-20, KJV

Some of us "remember" this nearly every Sunday throughout the year.

I suppose it's nice that you bother remembering one day a year.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Mar 16

I take it that you believe that something is wrong with following the example of the Apostles here:

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

They remembered the death of Christ on the first day of the week.

JWs on the other hand have chosen to follow after Charles Russel who commanded that you break bread once a year.

rc

Moves
24 Mar 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
I take it that you believe that something is wrong with following the example of the Apostles here:

[b]Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

They remembered the death of Christ on the first day ...[text shortened]... hand have chosen to follow after Charles Russel who commanded that you break bread once a year.[/b]
breaking bread is simply having a communal meal there is NO indication that this was a memorial celebration of Christs death and what is more tradition has it that the apostles celebrated an annual event. We have followed strictly the biblical example. The celebration was instituted on an annual observance and we have followed that example.

rc

Moves
24 Mar 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
"And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you." -- Luke 22:19-20, KJV

Some of us "remember" this nearly every Sunday throughout the year.

I suppose it's nice that you bother remembering one day a year.
Perhaps its you who are more forgetful seeing that you feel the need to remember it every Sunday. What kind of memorial is celebrated every week I have no idea, it seems rather ludicrous if I am honest.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Mar 16

breaking bread is simply having a communal meal there is NO indication that this was a memorial celebration of Christs death and what is more tradition has it that the apostles celebrated an annual event. We have followed strictly the biblical example. The celebration was instituted on an annual observance and we have followed that example.
Well if you understand how the Apostles lived in those times having a communal meal was a daily activity as they lived as one and shared all things. They certainly did not only have a communal meal once per week. The once per week breaking of bread was done in memory of the death of Christ who commanded to do it as often as you can.

If as often as you can, is once per year then that is your choice.

rc

Moves
24 Mar 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
Well if you understand how the Apostles lived in those times having a communal meal was a daily activity as they lived as one and shared all things. They certainly did not only have a communal meal once per week. The once per week breaking of bread was done in memory of the death of Christ who commanded to do it as often as you can.

If as often as you can, is once per year then that is your choice.
As I stated there is not a shred of evidence in the scripture to suggest that the record of a simple communal meal constitutes a celebration of the memorial of Christ death, you simply made it up.