1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '19 02:38
    Christian to an atheist: "It is the malignant self-love that one is unwilling to lay down the independent soul life that the eternal love in the eternal Lover may save."

According to Christians here, what is "malignant" about the beliefs and viewpoints of the atheists in this community?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '19 12:19
    sonship, do you not want to explain what "malignant self-love" is?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Sep '19 12:21
    @FMF

I think I will just sit back and let you make us a good demonstration.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '19 12:24
    @sonship said
    @FMF

It's your term, not mine. You used it. What do you mean by it?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Sep '19 12:34
    @FMF

Concerning what you think I need to do -

You are entitled to your personal opinions ...
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '19 12:36
    @sonship said
    @FMF

Concerning what you think I need to do -

You are entitled to your personal opinions ...
    What is "malignant" about the beliefs and viewpoints of the atheists in this community?

In what way do you see their 'failure' to share your religious beliefs as being "self-love"?

You used the term "malignant self-love". You've done it several times before but you have never explained what you mean by it.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 04:02
    @fmf said
    It's your term, not mine. You used it. What do you mean by it?
    Here's something:

https://www.bestcounselingdegrees.net/faq/what-is-meant-by-the-term-malignant-self-love/
    Malignant self-love is a term developed by Dr. Sam Vaknin and is utilized as the title of his book in which he provides a first-hand account of narcissistic personality disorder or NPD. The complete title of Vaknin's text is Malignant Self Love – Narcissism Revisited and was published in 2003, with multiple reprints since that date...
    The world-renowned Mayo Clinic defines narcissistic personality disorder as a personality disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of their own importance as well as a deep need for excessive attention and admiration...
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 06:37
    @soothfast said
    Here's something:

https://www.bestcounselingdegrees.net/faq/what-is-meant-by-the-term-malignant-self-love/
    Malignant self-love is a term developed by Dr. Sam Vaknin and is utilized as the title of his book in which he provides a first-hand account of narcissistic personality disorder or NPD. The complete title of Vaknin's text is Malignant Self Love – Narcissism ...[text shortened]... nse of their own importance as well as a deep need for excessive attention and admiration...
    And this is certainly not limited to atheists, by any stretch of the imagination.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 07:13
    @soothfast said
    The world-renowned Mayo Clinic defines narcissistic personality disorder as a personality disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of their own importance as well as a deep need for excessive attention and admiration...
    "Narcissistic personality disorder" seems a rather egocentric diagnosis for sonship to project onto another poster on a message board ~ as a response to par for the course dissent and disagreement.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 07:53
    @sonship said
    @FMF

Can you point to an example of "a good demonstration" of malignant self-love on this forum?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 08:14
    @fmf said
    Christian to an atheist: "It is the malignant self-love that one is unwilling to lay down the independent soul life that the eternal love in the eternal Lover may save."

According to Christians here, what is "malignant" about the beliefs and viewpoints of the atheists in this community?
    Can you, perhaps, give us a source for the quote you give us here?

Has someone in this forum actually said this?

And if so, pardon my ignorance. I no longer read every thread in this forum.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 09:07
    @suzianne said
    Can you, perhaps, give us a source for the quote you give us here?

Has someone in this forum actually said this?

And if so, pardon my ignorance. I no longer read every thread in this forum.
    sonship accused me of "malignant self-love" on 22nd September shortly before I started this thread ~ something I did in order to allow him to expand upon it or explain himself. I have lost count of how many times he has made the same accusation ~ but this is the first time I have started a thread about it.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 09:35
    @sonship said
    @FMF

When you say “sit back” are you being “allegorical” or literal?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 09:50
    @fmf said
    sonship accused me of "malignant self-love" on 22nd September shortly before I started this thread ~ something I did in order to allow him to expand upon it or explain himself. I have lost count of how many times he has made the same accusation ~ but this is the first time I have started a thread about it.
    I think your post here could metaphorically (love that word) be the swish of the revolving door as Suzianne exits.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 14:42
    @soothfast said
    Here's something:

Malignant self-love is a term developed by Dr. Sam Vaknin and is utilized as the title of his book in which he provides a first-hand account of narcissistic personality disorder or NPD. The complete title of Vaknin's text is Malignant Self Love – Narcissism ...[text shortened]... nse of their own importance as well as a deep need for excessive attention and admiration...
    There's a ton of stuff about narcissism of YouTube. There are thousands of videos with titles like: "The 9 signs of a narcissist.", "The 5 ways to spot a covert narcissist.", etc. etc.. They divide narcissism into two subcategories, grandiose or overt, and vulnerable or covert. Anyone wanting to know more can look it up on Wikipedia, or watch this guy's channel (I googled him and the results were consistent, he does have a Ph.D.) [1]. He did a video about a case study [2].

I really don't think all the ills of the world can be put down to narcissism, and I hope that it doesn't become a new term of abuse in these forums. It's not possible to deduce someone is narcissistic solely from posts they make in these forums, even for trained professionals. The rest of us shouldn't go there.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/user/RioGrande51
    [2] YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree