1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 17:08
    @fmf said
    Christian to an atheist: "It is the malignant self-love that one is unwilling to lay down the independent soul life that the eternal love in the eternal Lover may save."

According to Christians here, what is "malignant" about the beliefs and viewpoints of the atheists in this community?
    Is malignant self love the same things as malignant trolls on this site?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 21:08
    @whodey said
    While trolling could be driven by that I would be extremely wary about making that identification.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 22:03
    @whodey said
    I think terms like "malignant self-love" and "malignant troll" are used by people like you and sonship for dealing with posters who disagree with you or who are unimpressed by you.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '19 01:03
    @deepthought said
    There's a ton of stuff about narcissism of YouTube. There are thousands of videos with titles like: "The 9 signs of a narcissist.", "The 5 ways to spot a covert narcissist.", etc. etc.. They divide narcissism into two subcategories, grandiose or overt, and vulnerable or covert. Anyone wanting to know more can look it up on Wikipedia, or watch this guy's channel (I goog ...[text shortened]... re.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/user/RioGrande51
    [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Youc9KkwU
    NPD is well-known in psychology. I've always considered it rare in the gen. pop., but it does show up with a slightly higher frequency among politicians, and is often co-existing with what is sometimes called an "alpha" personality (although not always).
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '19 01:55
    @suzianne said
    Has someone in this forum actually said this?
    Yes. sonship.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 01:48
    @suzianne said
    NPD is well-known in psychology. I've always considered it rare in the gen. pop., but it does show up with a slightly higher frequency among politicians, and is often co-existing with what is sometimes called an "alpha" personality (although not always).
    According to Wikipedia the prevalence is of the order of 1%. I'm not sure what you mean by "alpha personality". Is this the same idea as "alpha (fe)male" and "beta (fe)male"?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 01:54
    @deepthought said
    According to Wikipedia the prevalence is of the order of 1%. I'm not sure what you mean by "alpha personality". Is this the same idea as "alpha (fe)male" and "beta (fe)male"?
    I think Suzianne is conflating 'narcissism' with 'NPD'.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 06:35
    @fmf said
    I think Suzianne is conflating 'narcissism' with 'NPD'.
    Imagine conflating narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Obviously anyone doing this must be off the beam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Where did you get your psychology degree again? How many box tops did it cost you?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 06:40
    @suzianne said
    Imagine conflating narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Obviously anyone doing this must be off the beam.
    I was responding to what DeepThought had put to you.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 06:44
    @suzianne said
    Where did you get your psychology degree again?
    What is the extent of the correlation, in your view, between "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" and what you refer to as "an alpha personality"? What proportion of the latter do you think might be diagnosed with "NPD"?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 06:48
    @deepthought said
    And thus why I said it was rare.

Okay, this is a big topic, and I am at work right now, so I'll have to get back to this later.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 06:50
    @suzianne said
    And thus why I said it was rare.
    Approximately what proportion of adult males do you perceive as being "alpha" type?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 07:01
    @suzianne said
    Where did you get your psychology degree again? How many box tops did it cost you?
    Will you be asking sonship this too? He seems to correlate atheism with what he calls "malignant self-love". On page 1 you seemed on the verge of saying something by way of objection to it, but then you realized it was sonship who'd said it.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 08:47
    @suzianne said

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

What do you think of the OP especially in light of it being a Christian here he used the term as an insult?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Oct '19 11:52
    @deepthought said
    Considering that your original post in this thread was about other topics of "pop" psychology, I assumed you would be familiar with the concept of the "alpha" personality. It is basically taking an idea which is prevalent in the field of Ethology, pack dominance, and attributing it to humans. This is really not a topic seriously considered in psychology, but since you went there, I went with you in an attempt to make myself understood. I believe you are familiar with it, as your reply suggests, and others in these forums have brought it up and so I bring it up because others are obviously familiar with it, and all I get in return is "Huh? What do you mean?"

My response wasn't "all that" anyways. Forget I mentioned it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree