1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 16:50
    "Science and Health posits a wholly metaphysical view of Christianity in which sin, disease, and death are not of God, and are therefore not real. Further, it suggests that by striving toward a spiritual understanding of the world as God's perfect creation, these "false beliefs" are shed from one's experience."

I found this somewhere in wikipedia.

Sin, disease and death are not real?

Who would believe that? I'll tell you. People with the same kind of subtle mental predilection toward the fanciful due to an inability to deal with reality. It comes in many forms and intensities depending on the individual.

Eddy made a fortune.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 17:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Science and Health posits a wholly metaphysical view of Christianity in which sin, disease, and death are not of God, and are therefore not real. Further, it suggests that by striving toward a spiritual understanding of the world as God's perfect creation, these "false beliefs" are shed from one's experience."

I found this somewhere in wikipedia. ...[text shortened]... comes in many forms and intensities depending on the individual.

Eddy made a fortune.[/b]
    You're hardly one to talk about people with a "subtle mental predilection toward the fanciful due to an inability to deal with reality."
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 18:11
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You're hardly one to talk about people with a "subtle mental predilection toward the fanciful due to an inability to deal with reality."
    Man! There's nothing subtle about my fanciful predilections. 🙂
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 18:15
    [b]"Science and Health posits a wholly metaphysical view of Christianity in which sin, disease, and death are not of God, and are therefore not real. Further, it suggests that by striving toward a spiritual understanding of the world as God's perfect creation, these "false beliefs" are shed from one's experience."

I found this somewhere in wikipedia. ...[text shortened]... comes in many forms and intensities depending on the individual.

Eddy made a fortune.[/b]
    Sin disease and death are not absolute realities, they only exist in the dream material world.......Jesus had the higher cocsiouness and could see this as well,...Eddy is correct, and only persons who have sufficient insight may understand this.

vishva
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 18:53
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Sin disease and death are not absolute realities, they only exist in the dream material world.......Jesus had the higher cocsiouness and could see this as well,...Eddy is correct, and only persons who have sufficient insight may understand this.

vishva
    Couscous? He liked that typical Berber food that has become popular in many countries? Who knew He had such a palette!
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 19:40
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Couscous? He liked that typical Berber food that has become popular in many countries? Who knew He had such a palette!
    Say what? He was painting with couscous?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 20:23
    Originally posted by vishvahetu

vishva
    Tell that to Mary Baker Eddy. She's dead right?
  8. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 21:08
    Tell that to Mary Baker Eddy. She's dead right?
    Before Mary passed from earth (gave up the ghost), she wrote down on a sheet of paper this "God IS my Life"...
  9. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 23:50

Eddy made a fortune.[/b]
    ~ Sin, disease and death are not real?

Who would believe that? ~

Christ said "Follow me, the way the truth and the life, or let the dead bury their dead.", no?

Two testimonies (100 yrs ago) of the 100 in the back of SCIENCE AND HEALTH with key to the scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy ~

Many Physical and Mental Troubles Overcome
    Less than a year ago, when nothing but trouble seemed to encompass me, I was led to Christian Science. My mother's copy of Science and Health was always lying on the table, but I scarcely ever read it. One day, however, the mental conflict was so great I commenced reading in the hope of obtaining peace. Every day since then my companions have been the Bible and Science and Health. At that time I had a very serious eruption on my face, which had been there two years. We had consulted several physicians, and used every remedy suggested to eradicate it, but they proved useless. I had given up all hopes of its ever being healed, as the physician we last consulted pronounced it tuberculosis of the skin and incurable. A few weeks after I commenced reading, I was amazed to see it almost healed over, and today my cheek is perfectly smooth, while the scar is disappearing.
    In April my baby was born with only the practitioner and a woman friend present. I suffered little pain, and the third day I went downstairs. I am able to nurse him, a privilege of which I was deprived with my first child. He is a picture of health, having never been sick a day since he was born.
    - K. E. W. L., Mt. Dora, Fla.
    Depraved Appetites Overcome
    When Christian Science first came to me, or rather, when I first came to Christian Science, I did not have a very bad opinion of myself. I thought I was a pretty good fellow. I had no religious views. I seemed to be getting along as well as, if not better than, some who professed Christianity. So I drifted along until I was led to investigate Christian Science.
    As I progressed in the understanding as gained from the study of both Science and Health and the Bible, and commenced to know myself, I found that a great change had been wrought in me. For fifteen years I had used tobacco, both chewing and smoking; for ten years I had been a victim of the drink habit, sometimes to excess; I was also addicted to profanity. Christian Science removed these appetites. A stomach trouble and other lesser ills, such as headache, a bad temper, an inordinate love of money, etc., disappeared under the same benign influence. Those things that seemed to be pleasure do not give me pleasure now. They were not real pleasure. I have lost nothing, I have sacrificed nothing; but I have gained everything, and not yet the whole, for I can see plenty yet to be done.
    The condition of mind before investigating and after is as different as black and white. As Mrs. Eddy says, "Not matter, but Mind, satisfieth.
    - G. B. P., Henry, S. D.

I ask you where Christian Science lives not Christ's teachings, josephw?
  10. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 21:361 edit
    [i]Originally posted by tacoandlettuce

I ask you where Christian Science lives not Christ's teachings, josephw?[/b]
    Christ said "Follow me, the way the truth and the life, or let the dead bury their dead.", no?

Two testimonies (100 yrs ago) of the 100 in the back of SCIENCE AND HEALTH with key to the scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy ~

Many Physical and Mental Troubles Overcome
    Less than a year ago, when nothing but trouble seemed to encompass me, I was led to Christian Science. My mother's copy of Science and Health was always lying on the table, but I scarcely ever read it. One day, however, the mental conflict was so great I commenced reading in the hope of obtaining peace. Every day since then my companions have been the Bible and Science and Health. At that time I had a very serious eruption on my face, which had been there two years. We had consulted several physicians, and used every remedy suggested to eradicate it, but they proved useless. I had given up all hopes of its ever being healed, as the physician we last consulted pronounced it tuberculosis of the skin and incurable. A few weeks after I commenced reading, I was amazed to see it almost healed over, and today my cheek is perfectly smooth, while the scar is disappearing.
    In April my baby was born with only the practitioner and a woman friend present. I suffered little pain, and the third day I went downstairs. I am able to nurse him, a privilege of which I was deprived with my first child. He is a picture of health, having never been sick a day since he was born.
    - K. E. W. L., Mt. Dora, Fla.
    Depraved Appetites Overcome
    When Christian Science first came to me, or rather, when I first came to Christian Science, I did not have a very bad opinion of myself. I thought I was a pretty good fellow. I had no religious views. I seemed to be getting along as well as, if not better than, some who professed Christianity. So I drifted along until I was led to investigate Christian Science.
    As I progressed in the understanding as gained from the study of both Science and Health and the Bible, and commenced to know myself, I found that a great change had been wrought in me. For fifteen years I had used tobacco, both chewing and smoking; for ten years I had been a victim of the drink habit, sometimes to excess; I was also addicted to profanity. Christian Science removed these appetites. A stomach trouble and other lesser ills, such as headache, a bad temper, an inordinate love of money, etc., disappeared under the same benign influence. Those things that seemed to be pleasure do not give me pleasure now. They were not real pleasure. I have lost nothing, I have sacrificed nothing; but I have gained everything, and not yet the whole, for I can see plenty yet to be done.
    The condition of mind before investigating and after is as different as black and white. As Mrs. Eddy says, "Not matter, but Mind, satisfieth.
    - G. B. P., Henry, S. D.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree