Mary

Mary

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08

Originally posted by Henry23
Catholics are the only group that pray through and to Mary, though (effectively making her a god, since one should only pray to God). This is in contradicion to wat the Bible teaches in 1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus...

To answer the original question: I believe the Catholic perception of Mary has ...[text shortened]... istian), etc.

Though Constantine did some good he also seems to have messed up quite badly.
Catholics are the only group that pray through and to Mary, though (effectively making her a god, since one should only pray to God).

Can you verify this claim? Can you prove that no Orthodox church prays to Mary?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
jesus was conceived without to abominable and yucky act of two persons getting it on. from this comes the catholic main rule "if it feels good, stop" 😀

jesus had the original sin like everyone else unless there would be a loophole in the bible. god might have said in genesis that the son of man would be carrying his sin(adam's sin not god's). since jesus had no man father he didn't have it. would like someone to post the bible verse though
jesus was conceived without to abominable and yucky act of two persons getting it on. from this comes the catholic main rule "if it feels good, stop"

The immaculate conception has nothing to do with the virgin birth.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08

Originally posted by Rajk999
How exactly was Mary conceived without original sin?
God is supposed to be omnipotent, right?

Z

Moves
10 Jul 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]jesus was conceived without to abominable and yucky act of two persons getting it on. from this comes the catholic main rule "if it feels good, stop"

The immaculate conception has nothing to do with the virgin birth.[/b]
huh? then what does it have to do with? bunnies and butterflies? enlighten us

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08
1 edit

huh? then what does it have to do with? bunnies and butterflies? enlighten us
I already have explained. The doctrine of the immaculate conception states that God spared Mary from original sin at the time of her conception; the doctrine of the virgin birth states that Mary conceived Jesus by the Holy Spirit and not by sex.

Z

Moves
10 Jul 08

I already have explained. The doctrine of the immaculate conception states that God spared Mary from original sin at the time of her conception; the doctrine of the virgin birth states that Mary conceived Jesus by the Holy Spirit and not by sex.
would like to see a bible verse about that. because i thought the point of jesus was to take care of the original sin. if god could spare mary from the original sin then he didn't need jesus anymore. until i hear the bible's view on that i think i will keep to the opinion you are confused

W

Moves
10 Jul 08
1 edit

until i hear the bible's view on that i think i will keep to the opinion you are confused
What!? You're waiting for someone to get out their concordance?

You know.. it increases your super-powers by +5 points!

Z

Moves
10 Jul 08

would like to see a bible verse about that. because i thought the point of jesus was to take care of the original sin. if god could spare mary from the original sin then he didn't need jesus anymore. until i hear the bible's view on that i think i will keep to the opinion you are confused
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_conception

nevermind i got my answer. it seems you were right, the catholics do view immaculate conception as mary's birth not jesus'. which gives another example of how anyone with sufficient imagination can add to the religion if he claims he is under the influence of the holy spirit. just like the indulgences and the inquisition doing god's work by burning witches.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08
1 edit

It is not my place give a theological justification of the immaculate conception. Whether it is a legitimate doctrine, it is still different to the doctrine of the virgin birth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Conception

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Birth

EDIT: I see you have already gone to the wikipedia article.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_conception

nevermind i got my answer. it seems you were right, the catholics do view immaculate conception as mary's birth not jesus'. which gives another example of how anyone with sufficient imagination can add to the religion if he claims he is under the influence of the holy spirit. just like the indulgences and the inquisition doing god's work by burning witches.
which gives another example of how anyone with sufficient imagination can add to the religion if he claims he is under the influence of the holy spirit. just like the indulgences and the inquisition doing god's work by burning witches.

I don't thnk this was an arbitrary addition. The idea of the immaculate conception had existed for some thousand years before its formal definition and after some debate. I suppose that a Catholic would think that the influence of the Holy Spirit would allow Church to come to a final decision.

And indulgences still exist. The Pope gave an indulgence two days ago that will apply to all WYD participants.

Z

Moves
10 Jul 08

[b]which gives another example of how anyone with sufficient imagination can add to the religion if he claims he is under the influence of the holy spirit. just like the indulgences and the inquisition doing god's work by burning witches.

I don't thnk this was an arbitrary addition. The idea of the immaculate conception had existed for some thousand ...[text shortened]... still exist. The Pope gave an indulgence two days ago that will apply to all WYD participants.[/b]
absolution in a bottle, buy Indulgence - Cola and all your sins and your thirst will go away.

we now also have Indulgence Cookies, for the sinners with a sweet tooth.

i can understand why this drove Luther start a new religion and to tell the pope to shove indulgences up his holy hole

WYD? whats that? and benedict doesn't count, he is a despicable man. John Paul was nicer.

s

England

Moves
10 Jul 08

well my anglican, english, church has a statue to mary [jesus mam] right at its centre, been there about 40 years to my knowledge, we say the "hail mary" during our main services, and go to walsingham in anglia to the shrine. we acnowledge her messages given by god as a gift and a warning, tho we do not accept her as a god, her place in the eternal salvation of mankind is not questioned.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08
3 edits

absolution in a bottle, buy Indulgence - Cola and all your sins and your thirst will go away.

we now also have Indulgence Cookies, for the sinners with a sweet tooth.

i can understand why this drove Luther start a new religion and to tell the pope to shove indulgences up his holy hole

WYD? whats that? and benedict doesn't count, he is a despicable man. John Paul was nicer.
No; it is illegal to buy an indulgence. And generally, to receive an indulgence requires that the Catholic satisfy certain obligations, such as visiting shrines or reciting certain prayers. The Catholic must already have received confession, as well.

John Paul II also gave indulgences.

EDIT: WYD is an acronym for World Youth Day which begins next week.

s

England

Moves
10 Jul 08

[b]No; it is illegal to buy an indulgence. And generally, to receive an indulgence requires that the Catholic satisfy certain obligations, such as visiting shrines or reciting certain prayers. The Catholic must already have received confession, as well.

illegal to visit shrines for catholics [roman i assume you mean] im struggling to understand your meaning.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jul 08

Originally posted by stoker
illegal to visit shrines for catholics [roman i assume you mean] im struggling to understand your meaning.
I am not sure what you mean, either.