1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 07:17
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    So give me the background to the doctrine. All you said was that Mary was not of original sin.
    The Catholic encyclopedia attempts to give "proofs" from scripture, tradition and reason.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07674d.htm

Whatever doubts you have about the doctrine, it is unlikely that the authors would accept your characterisation of the doctrine as 'made-up'.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 10:46
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    The Catholic encyclopedia attempts to give "proofs" from scripture, tradition and reason.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07674d.htm

Whatever doubts you have about the doctrine, it is unlikely that the authors would accept your characterisation of the doctrine as 'made-up'.
    Thats definitely an example of a man-made doctrine.
    There is no Biblical support for even wanting to contrive such a doctrine. They even go so far as to say that Mary's parents were cleansed by the Holy Spirit and became sinless as well before they had Mary.

Well, if nothing Catholicism is interesting.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 11:16
    There is no Biblical support for even wanting to contrive such a doctrine. They even go so far as to say that Mary's parents were cleansed by the Holy Spirit and became sinless as well before they had Mary.

Well, if nothing Catholicism is interesting.
    Perhaps you ought to re-read the article. The authors do not say that Mary's parents were cleansed by the Holy Spirit; they only briefly allude to St. John Damascene who argued this.

The point is that, historically, this doctrine has existed throughout the years of the early church; it has had currency among early Christians and the main controversy for the past eighteen-hundred years, since Origen, has been whether Mary was spared from original sin at conception or afterwards. The doctrine developed over centuries; it was not 'made-up'.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 11:30
    There is no Biblical support for even wanting to contrive such a doctrine.
    But many Christians believe that they receive information directly from the Holy Spirit.
    I find it interesting how many theists make two contradictory claims:
    1. The only information we have from God is in the Bible.
    2. They have received information directly from God.

What is also interesting his how many people making claim 1. have no idea where the Bible came from.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree