Matt 15:21-28

Standard memberRemoved
Spirituality 01 Oct '16 10:41
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 10:41
    Someone asked me to fellowship with him about Matt. 15:21-28.

It's about eating Jesus and faith. (Matthew 15:21-28)
    *I'd like to what it really means by bread that fell on the table.
    *Little dog
    *Why is she she qualified and by extension why are we all qualified?
    *Why was it the Lord change the topic from healing to eating?
    *Why is faith is important?
    *What is the connection of eating the Lord Jesus through His and faith?
    *How do we get from one to the other? KL

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 10:451 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Someone asked me to fellowship with him about Matt. 15:21-28.
    Very nice, I hope they like reading.

😛
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 10:531 edit
    And Jesus went from there and withdrew into the parts of Tyre and Sidon.
    And behold, a Canaanite woman came out from those borders and cried out, saying, Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter suffers terribly from demon possession.

But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, Send her away, for she is crying out after us. But He answered and said, I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

But she came and worshipped Him, saying, Lord, help me! But He answered and said, It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the little dogs. And she said, Yes, Lord for even the little dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their master's table.

Then Jesus answered and said to her, O woman, great is your faith! Be it done to you as you wish. And her daughter was healed from that hour."

First Kevin, i do believe that story as Matthew tells it. Thank God he recalled and recounted the incident.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 11:184 edits
    Bro. Kevin,

It is significant in light of the previous passages that it says here that Jesus ... withdrew.

" And Jesus went from there and withdrew into the parts of Tyre and Sidon. (v.21)

What do you think He was withdrawing from ? It might help to read verses 1 through 20 to see what Jesus was withdrawing away from.

I would say some indications are in verse 3,6,78. He wished to get away from hypocrits and the secret sinners. These had a strong religion. It was even based on the oracles of God given through Moses. But Jesus rebuked them because of their hypocrisy -

Verse 3 -

"And he anwered and said to them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?"

He wants to withdraw from the religious traditions which actually nullified the command of God.

" ... you have deprived the word of God of its authority because of your tradition." (v.6)

He wanted to withdraw from this abuse of God's word. He says its power is buried under their hypocritical traditions. The traditions they held had nothing to do really with the spirit of God's commands.

"Hypocrites! Well has Isaiah prophesied concerning you, saying, this people honors Me with their lips, but their heart stays far away from Me; But in vain do they worship Me, teaching as teachings the commandments of men." (v.8,9)

It was not just in the New Testament God exposed the hypocrisy of the religionists. Jesus here is quoting the Old Testament prophet Isaiah in Isaiah 29:13.

Kevin, I know that English is not your mother tongue. But please feel free to write something.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 11:302 edits
    Kevin,

You know whenever we write something about "the religionists" we may be tempted to think of "the OTHER guys, over there." Actually these words of Jesus simply have to deeply touch all God seeking people. We are not exempt as Christians because it is so easy to approach God only with out lips. Our heart may be far from Him.

So I write this little exposition concerning myself as much as anyone else. This religious thing is in our blood since the fall of man.

Anyway, you can see that Jesus withdraw from the sinners who were HIDDEN sinners and preferred dramatically to go to places which had been openly cursed by God in the OT. It is rather significant.

It is as if the Bible is saying that there was more hope for open sinners than for secretive and hidden hypocritical sinners. Look again -

"And Jesus went from there and withdrew into the parts of Tyre and Sidon." (v.21)

Those places were not blessed places. Tyre and Sidon were places God had openly cursed (See isaiah 23, Joel 3:4 ).

The suggestion is that Jesus Christ withdrew from the secret sinners to go to be with the open sinners.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 15:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Very nice, I hope they like reading.

😛
    Enjoying your spot on FMFs lap? 😉
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 16:56
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    You really have finally, and thankfully, run out of steam.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 17:02
    You really have finally, and thankfully, run out of steam.
    And tomorrow you will still be taking the piss.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 17:45
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    I think it's a little disrespectful to bring this ongoing saga into sonship's thread.

Can't you just contain it in one thread, or better still drop it altogether?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 17:54
    Agreed.

I apologise to sonship for my initial post.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 18:10
    Agreed.

I apologise to sonship for my initial post.
    Thankyou for thinking to apologize. Its ok.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 18:131 edit
    Kevin Lee,

I consider all bilingual people to be pretty smart as a general principle. So please contribute if you wish in you imperfect English writing.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 09:171 edit
    *I'd like to what it really means by bread that fell on the table.

So we see Jesus withdrawing from the hyprocrits to "the parts of" two places God pronounced harsh judgment against, Tyre and Sidon.

The parts of means the boundary of. This may mean that we sinners who are willing to repent rather than hide our sins or cover our sins are within the borders of these cursed places.

This also has to do with the Canaanite women thinking of Jesus has bread fallen from the table. He is off of the good land, being pushed aside by the naughty children of the master, and fallen on the floor where the Gentile dogs may feed on Him.

Verse 22 says that a Canaanitish woman approached Jesus. She was of the race of the Canaanites who also had been under a curse pronounced in Genesis 9:25,26)

"And he [Noah] said, cursed be Canaan: A servant of servants shall he be to his brothers."

This woman though cried out in an inappropriate way to the Jewish Messiah because of her standing in relation to Israel.

" And behold, a Canaanite woman came out from those borders and cried out, saying, Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David! "

Jesus at first ignores her. I could not see why Jesus ignored her until I was taught that she addressed Him as only an Israelite had the ground to address Him - " Son of David ".

It is my opinion which I could not prove, that maybe, Jesus being Son of God, knew about this woman's personal life. Maybe ( and I don't know ) He being God incarnate had knowledge of her words in the past. Perhaps she despised the Jews with different words in her past.

Regardless, Jesus rather rudely ignores her at first. Then Jesus tells her that the children's bread is not for the little dogs. The Messiah of Israel is sent first to the children of Israel.

" But He answered and said, I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. "

Then she simply calls Him "Lord" rather than "Son of David" and they converse.

"But she came and worshipped Him, saying, Lord, help me!

But He answered and said, It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the little dogs. "

We'll see that the woman admitted that she was a little Gentile dog. And Jesus was the Jewish Messiah yet pushed off of the table of the land of Israel. To her Jesus was a crumb fallen from the table.

The religionists disrespected Christ. They discarded and rejected "meal" God provided for His theocratic nation was being rejected. Yet this becomes a blessing for the Gentiles as the dogs can eat the bread fallen from the table of the children.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 09:48
    I like sonship posts. Saves time for reading something else.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 12:101 edit
    The title "Lord" indicates Christ's divinity, that is that He is God.
    The title "Son of David" indicates Christ's humanity.

This portion of the Matthew has a dispensational significance. The Jews, David's people, have the Messiah according to His being descended from David. But they rejected Him. This rejected afforded the Gentiles to participate in His grace.

Christ first came to the Jews, the lost sheep of the house of Israel. This corresponds to the bread on the table. But their opposition to Him compelled Him to move further away until His salvation was believed by the Gentiles.

We of the Gentiles have no claim to Christ as the Son of David, the Messianic Jewish King on David's throne. But we have claim to Him because He is God incarnate - the Lord in His divinity. He is God become a man.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree