1. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    06 Oct '07 15:421 edit
    "People of the Book" (Jews, Muslims, Christians) often refer to the creation of matter. This concept breaks the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy. Thus, these religions are in conflict with science.

    Discuss.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    06 Oct '07 15:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "People of the Book" (Jews, Muslims, Christians) often refer to the creation of matter. This concept breaks the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy. Thus, these religions are in conflict with science.

    Discuss.
    hahaha
    Maybe it's an error of translation. Or you can make the interpretation of matter as "energy-matter".
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    06 Oct '07 15:561 edit
    Even if you call it God creating mass-energy, it still breaks the Law.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    06 Oct '07 16:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Even if you call it God creating mass-energy, it still breaks the Law.
    God is energy, maybe he used one of his hairs to create it.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    06 Oct '07 17:281 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "People of the Book" (Jews, Muslims, Christians) often refer to the creation of matter. This concept breaks the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy. Thus, these religions are in conflict with science.

    Discuss.
    Perhaps it'll help to put science into perspective. Just as we look back at science 150 years ago and marvel at how little was understood then, people 150 years from now will look back and marvel at how little is understood now. Sometimes it seems that many are under the delusion that we understand so much. There are many pardigm shifts to be made.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    06 Oct '07 21:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "People of the Book" (Jews, Muslims, Christians) often refer to the creation of matter. This concept breaks the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy. Thus, these religions are in conflict with science.

    Discuss.
    I suppose creating life is in conflict with science as well seeing as we cannot create life as well.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    06 Oct '07 21:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    I suppose creating life is in conflict with science as well seeing as we cannot create life as well.
    It's not in conflict. Science will create fully artificial life with time, don't you believe?
    Where did all matter come from is a lot more complicated. We are trying to find out what happened 14 billion yrs ago. It's like being a grain of sand in a beach, not being able to move and trying finding out what's happening in the other side of the world using a very small telescope. The conditions are harsh for science, we don't have it all written in a book, you know?

    I hope some of the religious guys start seeing what's reality when we create life. It's gonna be a step as big as discovering we are not the center of the universe.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    06 Oct '07 21:59
    Originally posted by serigado
    [b]It's not in conflict. Science will create fully artificial life with time, don't you believe?
    Perhaps I don't have enough faith to believe?
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    06 Oct '07 22:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Perhaps I don't have enough faith to believe?
    ehe 🙂
    Mankind is very resourceful, and can achieve wonderful things. I believe in our capacities.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    06 Oct '07 22:08
    Originally posted by serigado
    ehe 🙂
    Mankind is very resourceful, and can achieve wonderful things. I believe in our capacities.
    So there is nothing we can't do?
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    06 Oct '07 22:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    So there is nothing we can't do?
    We can't do anything beyond the restrains of the laws of physics.
    We can do everything that is possible for our capacities.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    06 Oct '07 22:16
    Originally posted by serigado
    We can't do anything beyond the restrains of the laws of physics.
    We can do everything that is possible for our capacities.
    So how do you determane what is beyond the restrains of physics? How do you determane what is beyond our capacity?
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    3178
    06 Oct '07 22:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    So how do you determane what is beyond the restrains of physics? How do you determane what is beyond our capacity?
    You don't determine nothing. The world works a certain way, we try to find out how. From what he learned until now we can make some inferences of what are the laws of physics. For some reason beyond the scope of science the universe seems to follow some basic principles. Maybe those rules change with time, maybe not, we don't know. But we are learning from observing, experimenting, imagining. Now, the sky's the limit!
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    07 Oct '07 04:531 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    You don't determine nothing. The world works a certain way, we try to find out how. From what he learned until now we can make some inferences of what are the laws of physics. For some reason beyond the scope of science the universe seems to follow some basic principles. Maybe those rules change with time, maybe not, we don't know. But we are learning from observing, experimenting, imagining. Now, the sky's the limit!
    And that is my point. All we know is what we can observe which is finite to say the least. Really anything is possible.....
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55256
    07 Oct '07 07:471 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "People of the Book" (Jews, Muslims, Christians) often refer to the creation of matter. This concept breaks the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy. Thus, these religions are in conflict with science.

    Discuss.
    Isn't this what the experiment at the end of November in Geneva is supposed to clarify?

    CERN (if you want to google it).
    Basically, and this is my translation of what they're gonna do, they're gonna shoot energy into a large tube and when these energy particles collide (and they'll be goin' hella fast, let me tells ya) they're gonna discover why some energy stays energy (sunlight, par example) and some energy becomes matter.
    And voila, science will create life. And it will be life Jim, but maybe not as we know it.

    The downside of the experiment, seemingly, is that there's an off-chance that they create a black hole and we all get sucked into Switzerland. Not, mind you, the worst way to go.
Back to Top