1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 12:55
    @fmf said
    He was, nevertheless, a phenomenal composer whose uplifting music has touched millions and millions of people deeply.
    The longer I live the less impressed I am with the accomplishments of men and the lauding of the same.

Too bad Lugwit's music wasn't food for the millions and millions of people that starved to death.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:01
    @secondson said
    The longer I live the less impressed I am with the accomplishments of men and the lauding of the same.
    Do you not like music, art and literature, generally, across the board?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:06
    @secondson said
    Too bad Lugwit's music wasn't food for the millions and millions of people that starved to death.
    I take it from this that you have presumably set aside whatever you had a talent and inspiration to do in your life, and spent it instead feeding "the millions and millions of people" that would have otherwise starved.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:21
    @fmf said
    Do you not like music, art and literature, generally, across the board?
    The longer I live the less value I find in the noice and clamber of the worldly pursuits of men.

Behind every activity of most men is the motivation to increase self-worth to the exclusion of the wellbeing of his neighbor. Especially of those that rise to the heights of fame and fortune.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:241 edit
    @secondson said
    The longer I live the less value I find in the noice and clamber of the worldly pursuits of men.

Behind every activity of most men is the motivation to increase self-worth to the exclusion of the wellbeing of his neighbor. Especially of those that rise to the heights of fame and fortune.
    So, is that an unequivocal YES ~ you DON'T not like music, art and literature across the board, or that an unequivocal NO ~ I DO appreciate music, art and literature?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:25
    @secondson said
    This is an accusation you are levelling at Beethoven?
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:34
    @fmf said
    I take it from this that you have presumably set aside whatever you had a talent and inspiration to do in your life, and spent it instead feeding "the millions and millions of people" that would have otherwise starved.
    Don't be silly. No single individual, no matter how wealthy in goods, talents and resources he may be, can feed millions and millions of starving people.

I do what I can, and if every individual in the world did equally, I think there wouldn't be one person that starves to death.

Run the numbers.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:37
    @secondson said
    Don't be silly. No single individual, no matter how wealthy in goods, talents and resources he may be, can feed millions and millions of starving people.
    What do you believe Beethoven should have done about the millions and millions of starving people? Do you believe he should have started by choosing not to compose music? What should he have done then?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:43
    @fmf said
    "Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." Ludwig van Beethoven

Is it?

What else is?
    For me it is nature, I think.
    Music tends to be an accompaniment to other things.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:44
    @fmf said
    So, is that an unequivocal YES ~ you DON'T not like music, art and literature across the board, or that an unequivocal NO ~ I DO appreciate music, art and literature?
    Take what I said for what it's worth, but don't try to put words in my mouth.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:44
    @secondson said
    I do what I can, and if every individual in the world did equally, I think there wouldn't be one person that starves to death.

Run the numbers.
    Run the numbers.

Don't you think Beethoven ~ and his music and people playing his music and concerts of his music staged by charities, royalties, donations, benefits, fund-raising pro-bono performances, musicians being employed, paying taxes etc. etc. ~ might have generated more money for the purposes of alleviating poverty than you have? Don't you think Ludwig Van Beethoven's footprint vis a vis the poor and starving might be a bigger one than yours, if one "runs the numbers"?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:45
    @secondson said
    Take what I said for what it's worth, but don't try to put words in my mouth.
    When it comes to music, art and literature, would you describe yourself as a philistine?
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:49
    @fmf said
    What do you believe Beethoven should have done about the millions and millions of starving people? Do you believe he should have started by choosing not to compose music? What should he have done then?
    Beethoven is dead. It's not for me to say what he should or shouldn't have done.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 13:53
    @secondson said
    Beethoven is dead. It's not for me to say what he should or shouldn't have done.
    And yet at the top of this page, you seem to be suggesting that he should have been doing something when he was alive to help provide food for "the millions and millions of people" that starved to death.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:08
    @secondson said
    Does a divide exist between the spiritual and the sensual life that requires a mediator?
    What is your answer to this question?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree