1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 19:01
    "Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." Ludwig van Beethoven

Is it?

What else is?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 19:10
    @fmf said
    "Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." Ludwig van Beethoven

Is it?

What else is?
    He also said music was "a higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy”
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 19:43
    @fmf said
    Is it?
    Exhibit A: The music of Arvo Pärt.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 22:17
    Were you saying something about threads which seem like the wheels are falling off ?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 22:43
    @sonship said
    Were you saying something about threads which seem like the wheels are falling off ?
    No, I said there are threads where your wheels fall off. Don't let this be one of them. Do you think music is a mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:032 edits
    @FMF
    No, I said there are threads where your wheels fall off.

Of course.

Why not mention "THREADS ... where your wheels fall off"? Why only mention the ones you think apply to me ?

Why can't I mention the ones that have your wheels "fall off" ?
    That's kind of unduly lopsided in YOUR favor, like it only happens to the other guy.

I have no other contribution at the moment.
    Just thought to give you a teaspoon of your own medicine, which typically irritates you for some reason.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:191 edit
    @sonship said
    Why not mention "THREADS ... where your wheels fall off"? Why only mention the ones you think apply to me ?
    If the likes of chaney3 or Eladar - or Dasa off his meds - were still posting, I would mention their wheels falling off moments.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:22
    @sonship said
    Why can't I mention the ones that have your wheels "fall off" ?
    I am not a frequently unstable, vaingloriously rancorous, lashing-out-emotionally poster in the way that you are, so I don't think I have any threads where my wheels fall off. Feel free to disagree.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:23
    @sonship said
    Just thought to give you a teaspoon of your own medicine, which typically irritates you for some reason.
    What "medicine"?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:25
    @sonship said
    That's kind of unduly lopsided in YOUR favor, like it only happens to the other guy.
    Feel free to nominate a thread or threads where you think I had some sort of angry-emotional and integrity-breakdown. Go for it.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:25
    @sonship said
    @FMF
    No, I said there are threads where your wheels fall off.

Of course.
    Do you think music is a mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life?
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 02:44
    @fmf said

Is it?

What else is?
    Does a divide exist between the spiritual and the sensual life that requires a mediator?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 03:44
    @secondson said
    Does a divide exist between the spiritual and the sensual life that requires a mediator?
    I think most "sensual" dimensions are tightly interwoven with abstract and metaphysical dimensions of our spiritual side.

I have no general declaration on whether they "require" a mediator; that would be an in-the-eye-of-the-beholder type thing.

Personally, I think music is a quintessential example of a human pursuit and product that integrates or straddles both sensuality and spirituality. it's an example of how they are interwoven

What do you think of Ludwig van Beethoven's adage?
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 11:17
    @fmf said

What do you think of Ludwig van Beethoven's adage?
    Supercilious. Like most of what I hear coming out of men's mouths. A lot of sound with little substance. A word mask that hides a man delirious with himself because he has a disproportionate sense of the importance of his own thoughts, ideas and the noise he makes.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 12:46
    @secondson said
    Supercilious. Like most of what I hear coming out of men's mouths. A lot of sound with little substance. A word mask that hides a man delirious with himself because he has a disproportionate sense of the importance of his own thoughts, ideas and the noise he makes.
    He was, nevertheless, a phenomenal composer whose uplifting music has touched millions and millions of people deeply.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree