1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 10:31
    Originally posted by moon1969
    First, we might call such a furniture or cabinet maker, but not a carpenter in a strict sense, which is associated with building wood structures or simple wooden objects such as boxes, scaffolds, or shelves. To give the word "carpenter" a broad definition of merely "works with wood" seems a bit of a stretch.

Second, a couple of weeks ago, I watched se ...[text shortened]... hat it may have been associated with customs of his father, clan, village, etc.
    CARPENTER

An artisan, craftsman, or worker in wood. The Hebrew term charash is the general
    designation for a “craftsman,” “worker,” or “builder,” who would use various materials
    such as wood, metal, or stone. (2Ki 12:11; 2Ch 24:12; Ex 28:11; 1Ch 14:1) The
    Greek equivalent is tekton, translated “carpenter” in Matthew 13:55 and Mark 6:3.

The carpenter in Israel would be employed in constructing houses and, in later
    times, structures such as synagogues. Although buildings were for the most part
    made of stone or earth, some wood was used, for example, in beams and doors.

The things constructed by the carpenter in Bible times included furniture, such as
    tables, stools, and benches. Many implements such as plows and threshing sledges
    were partly or entirely made of wood. (2Sa 24:22)

Jesus was called not only “the carpenter’s son” (Mt 13:55) but “the carpenter” as
    well. (Mr 6:3) Since the Hebrew father usually taught his son his trade, Jesus no
    doubt learned carpentry from his adoptive father Joseph.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree