1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 02:41
    This book likes interesting. Anyone read it? Any devout Catholics read it? Opine...
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 05:08
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    This book likes interesting. Anyone read it? Any devout Catholics read it? Opine...
    The Bart Ehrman book? If that's the one you're talking about, it's an exceptional book. I recommend it highly. Actually, I recommend anything by Ehrman.
  3. Donationbvb
    Callisto Fan
    Iowa
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 02:56
    Yes he is an excellent professor. I have his course entitled "The Historical Jesus" on video tape. If all Christians were like him I would have a lot more respect for Christians.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 03:01
    Originally posted by bvb
    Yes he is an excellent professor. I have his course entitled "The Historical Jesus" on video tape. If all Christians were like him I would have a lot more respect for Christians.
    I saw him on the Colbert Report. Very interesting.

He also called himself an agnostic.

If more xians were agnostics, I'd have more respect for them too.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 05:51
    Originally posted by telerion

For what: their double-mindedness?
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 15:21

He started out as a fundamentalist christian. But after studying the matter in an impartial manner he came to the conclusion that the case for god is a rather sketchy one.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 16:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    For what: their double-mindedness?
    No for the honest skepticism of their own beliefs.

Take for instance my position:

I believe that their isn't a god out there and that gods are anthropomorphisms that arise from projecting ourselves onto the world around us. However, I do not claim to know that there is not even one god that exists anywhere. I could certainly be mistaken, and if I start encountering evidence that seems to point to the action of any god or gods, my beliefs will probably change accordingly.

But no one get their hopes up; I take this same position about all sorts of other magic creatures, and I have yet to believe in a single one.
  8. Donationbvb
    Callisto Fan
    Iowa
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 05:19
    No for the honest skepticism of their own beliefs.

Take for instance my position:

I believe that their isn't a god out there and that gods are anthropomorphisms that arise from projecting ourselves onto the world around us. However, I do not claim to know that there is not even one god that exists anywhere. I could certainly be mistaken, and if I st ...[text shortened]... e position about all sorts of other magic creatures, and I have yet to believe in a single one.
    I agree. The concept of an agnostic Christian is not a contradiction. It is based in having a clear understanding of the relationship between faith and knowledge. Another good guy on this subject is James Hall at the University of Richmond. He calls himself an "agnostic Episcopalian. For myself, I simply prefer to leave it at "agnostic" then keep everybody guessing.🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree