1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 10:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I remember Jesus much more than just when I take bread and wine (grape juice).

At 70 years of age I have never been divorced nor do I plan to before I die.

I don't have to be Roman Catholic repeating the Rosary over and over to call Mary blessed. But no one here is challenging the fact that Mary is blessed among women, so I don't need to defend it.

...[text shortened]... ty power of our God.

To teach the creation took billions of years is divisive to the faith.
    "To teach the creation took billions of years is divisive to the faith."

And demonstrates a lack of faith in God's Word, and what's even worse, it says that MY word is above the Word of God and has greater authority than God's Word. It is the cause of heresy and false doctrine.

The effect is debilitating to living the Christian life affectively.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 17:54
    I'll copy/paste a few sentences from my link in the OP for those who don't wish to read the whole thing.

It really depends on which group / denomination of Christians you ask, since theological viewpoints vary pretty widely. The most extreme believe that all of the Old Testament (OT from here on) is infallible, literal, and applies to how we should live today. These groups are a minority and are typified by the Westboro Baptist Church. Some believe that the OT was the infallible word of God, was all to be taken literally, but was "fulfilled" by Jesus and thus much of it is not applicable. There are a lot of nuances to how different Christian churches explain this, but there are important questions, raised in this thread, about whether or not there is some cognitive dissonance with this and by what criterion one would determine which parts were fulfilled and which were not.

To repeat my question in the OP, how easy is it for you personally to sort the wheat from the chaff among the biblical commandments? I'll add to that: How much do you worry about getting to the pearly gate and finding out that you tossed out one too many of them, and are thereby prohibited from entering?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 19:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Oh, please... "from the beginning of the creation" was just another way of saying "from the beginning" or "since the beginning of time" or any other such "from the start" type openers.

You literalize this, a comment about "the beginning of creation" which we KNOW was 13 billion years ago, and yet you can sit there with a straight face and say that the th ...[text shortened]... ction in our salvation, is a little more important than how long it took to create the universe.
    Jesus rose from the dead; Paul didn't.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    I'll copy/paste a few sentences from my link in the OP for those who don't wish to read the whole thing.

[b]It really depends on which group / denomination of Christians you ask, since theological viewpoints vary pretty widely. The most extreme believe that all of the Old Testament (OT from here on) is infallible, literal, and applies to how we shou ...[text shortened]... finding out that you tossed out one too many of them, and are thereby prohibited from entering?
    Christ sorted out the wheat from the chaff. Here are his words:

The GREATEST COMMANDMENT AND SECOND GREATEST:

Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
    (Matthew 22:36-40 KJV)

Again: The commandment that gives eternal life:

And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him,.. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. (Luke 10:25-27 KJV)

Its a simple matter. Fools choose to complicate the issue.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 22:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"How easy is it for you to pick out precisely the commandments you are going to abide by, and which ones it is safe for you to ignore?"

Be safe. Obey them all. 😲 😉[/b]
    So it would be ok to own slaves then?
  6. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 23:45
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm a little surprised by the first paragraph. Most church goers take part in Holy Communion, which is the "do this in remembrance of me" thing. There are plenty of examples of religious people who were married in church and didn't get divorced. Some who do get divorced don't remarry.

What some alleged Christians do do here, there's a thing in the ...[text shortened]... he Sabbeth?" and some of the pedantry over exact interpretation of the Bible reminds me of that.
    I am catholic, and i do partake in Holy Communion. However, many protestant churches do not, or rarely at best.

I read scripture often, but when here - on line - i don't have it handy. So i jump to the 'online bible studies'. It helps a lot.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 23:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So it would be ok to own slaves then?
    Believe it or not sonhouse, i work with many people on many levels. And something that i find curious are those who are deeply into the lifestyle of BDSM and practice Christianity too. The concepts seem to be at odds. (i'm not talking about a husband and wife playing games.)
  8. Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 23:58
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Believe it or not sonhouse, i work with many people on many levels. And something that i find curious are those who are deeply into the lifestyle of BDSM and practice Christianity too. The concepts seem to be at odds. (i'm not talking about a husband and wife playing games.)
    What is BDSM? I have never read about it and none of the churches i have been to, ever mentioned it?
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 00:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Maybe you need to go to his link and see exactly what he is asking us believers to comment on.

It is an atheist message forum. I don't know about you, but I have no comment on that. Not that could be printed here. Many there are also talking about the same subject in their ignorance. "Why do believers not follow ALL of the law?" or some such nonsense ...[text shortened]... ng your neighbor as yourself and also to love your Christian brothers ( <- this one especially).
    I've gone to many different churches to understand the thinking of our bretheren. I too am catholic.

For the record, i am not condemning anyone. If a person doesn't accept the Eucharist, then what is the point of taking it. Yet if that same person reads the scripture, and receives the Word into his heart, isn't that, in a sense, the same.

What part of God is not God.

I know where sonhouse comes from in his thinking. It is a totally understandable position. And what he doesn't know is that God understands that too. There are many in heaven that were never "Christian" in the way you think they need to be to get there.
  10. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 00:141 edit
    Originally posted by Flower04
    What is BDSM? I have never read about it and none of the churches i have been to, ever mentioned it?
    Technically, I look at it as a sexual addiction.

Bondage and Discipline, Sado-Masocism

I'm certain you won't find too many "vanilla" (not in the lifestyle) people knowing much. But those who practice alternative lifestyles know it all too well.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 00:221 edit
    I've gone to many different churches to understand the thinking of our bretheren.
    One of our RHP Christians is (was?) into astrology. In the church of my upbringing, astrology was equated with witchcraft, something condemned in more than one place by the Bible.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 00:28
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    One of our RHP Christians is (was?) into astrology. In the church of my upbringing, astrology was equated with witchcraft, something condemned in more than one place by the Bible.
    They are not all into witchcraft. Many people will lump up others into groups, not knowing the truth of that person. Prayer is stronger than most people think. As the Lord brings that person to your mind, try praying for him/her. And i will do the same.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 01:07
    Originally posted by Flower04
    It is probably a Roman Catholic thing.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 01:08
    I've gone to many different churches to understand the thinking of our bretheren. I too am catholic.

For the record, i am not condemning anyone. If a person doesn't accept the Eucharist, then what is the point of taking it. Yet if that same person reads the scripture, and receives the Word into his heart, isn't that, in a sense, the same.

What part o ...[text shortened]... re many in heaven that were never "Christian" in the way you think they need to be to get there.
    We Protestant Christians refer to it as the Lord's Supper.
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 01:491 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We Protestant Christians refer to it as the Lord's Supper.
    I've been to multiple Church of God churches, Baptist, Southern Baptist, and a slew of others over a three year period (and this is every Sunday - after Catholic mass) back in the 80's. I can count on one hand how many times the "Lord's Supper" was offered.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree