Modern Church

Modern Church

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
23 Mar 09

It seems the idea now is to make church FUN ! Have you noticed that almost all have a full blowed band on a stage full of lights, and effects. It's like going to Disney Land for the Lord !! I have to admit that I found church stuffy, and boring, and I guess the idea is to not run off young kids with an old fashioned Bible beating. The singing and dancing, and telling jokes is pure Christian fun, and I guess I'm an old wise guy, but it sort of bugs me.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
24 Mar 09

Originally posted by buckky
It seems the idea now is to make church FUN ! Have you noticed that almost all have a full blowed band on a stage full of lights, and effects. It's like going to Disney Land for the Lord !! I have to admit that I found church stuffy, and boring, and I guess the idea is to not run off young kids with an old fashioned Bible beating. The singing and dancing, and telling jokes is pure Christian fun, and I guess I'm an old wise guy, but it sort of bugs me.
That's already been done. It's called Baptism.

Moves
24 Mar 09

You need to visit my church. 😵

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 09
1 edit

I always thought that the purpose of church was the worship of God, not entertainment. Silly me.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
24 Mar 09

What you describe is what I have discoverd at many of the "mega-churches" that are becoming popular, especially with young people. There are also mainstream churches that are going away from the literal teaching (fundamentalism) of the Bible and incorporating a 21st-century 'rationale' that explains away sin by convincing those in the pews that a loving God would NEVER send his children to a place called hell. In exchange for traditional-literal teaching of Biblical truths, falsehoods are preached which consist of "feel-good" topics and let's people feel 'at ease' with their sinful life knowing that God wouldn't really send them to hell. Face it, nobody these days wants to hear the truth about God because it takes all the fun out of fornicating, adultry, cheating, stealing, lying, drunkeness, smoking the 'chronic', worshipping angels, and talking with necromancers about lost loved-ones, engaging in seances, and visiting the pet-psychic. The irony of all this is that a relationship with Jesus Christ supplants all of the above and is infinitely more rewarding, both in this life and the life to come.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
24 Mar 09

Originally posted by dystoniac
What you describe is what I have discoverd at many of the "mega-churches" that are becoming popular, especially with young people. There are also mainstream churches that are going away from the literal teaching (fundamentalism) of the Bible and incorporating a 21st-century 'rationale' that explains away sin by convincing those in the pews that a loving G ...[text shortened]... the above and is infinitely more rewarding, both in this life and the life to come.
I take it that you dont like the Dog Whisperer.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
24 Mar 09

Originally posted by kirksey957
I take it that you dont like the Dog Whisperer.
The dog whisperer is cool; he doesn't try to mind-phuck the dogs. He is obviously blessed with a God-given ability to communicate with dogs on some level that is not anti-God. It is simply a gift from God. On the other hand, the English lady on Animal Planet that tells owners that "Fido" is unhappy because his balls itch and nobody's scratching them is ridiculous. Or, she'll hug a cow and tell the owner that "Bessie" is ready for one-gener farmer to use his lips instead of his hands during the next "milking"...sorry, I'm not being very Christian am I?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
24 Mar 09

Originally posted by dystoniac
The dog whisperer is cool; he doesn't try to mind-phuck the dogs. He is obviously blessed with a God-given ability to communicate with dogs on some level that is not anti-God. It is simply a gift from God. On the other hand, the English lady on Animal Planet that tells owners that "Fido" is unhappy because his balls itch and nobody's scratching them is ...[text shortened]... ead of his hands during the next "milking"...sorry, I'm not being very Christian am I?
Well, God made us all unique.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Mar 09

What has always amazed me is how many people are willing to go to great lengths to market their Church even when said marketing directly contradicts the stated purposes of the Church. Related to this is the willingness of parents to lie to their children to try and convince them to become Christian through scare tactics etc. And I do mean 'lie'. I have many times heard adults telling their children things that they do not believe in the slightest in the hope of getting their children to go to Church or at least believe in God.

rc

Moves
24 Mar 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
What has always amazed me is how many people are willing to go to great lengths to market their Church even when said marketing directly contradicts the stated purposes of the Church. Related to this is the willingness of parents to lie to their children to try and convince them to become Christian through scare tactics etc. And I do mean 'lie'. I have ma ...[text shortened]... he slightest in the hope of getting their children to go to Church or at least believe in God.
really, what like?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
25 Mar 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
What has always amazed me is how many people are willing to go to great lengths to market their Church even when said marketing directly contradicts the stated purposes of the Church. Related to this is the willingness of parents to lie to their children to try and convince them to become Christian through scare tactics etc. And I do mean 'lie'. I have ma ...[text shortened]... he slightest in the hope of getting their children to go to Church or at least believe in God.
Parents do this all the time - telling lies to get their kids to do something. I know I do it all the time. How often I have invoked Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy or any number of other blatantly non-existent entities to encourage my kids to do something I couldn't say. Why would churches, which also deal in non-existent entities be any different?