1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 21:572 edits
    “Morality is doing the right thing regardless of what you are told...

Religionism is doing what you are told regardless of what is right”

Let's discuss this; I’ll open with my usual example of eternally torturing people for thought crimes because Jesus allegedly said it’s right to do so... so it’s “perfect justice”.

But this OP places the topic a lot wider than that, doesn’t it?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:16
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    [b]“Morality is doing the right thing regardless of what you are told...

Let's discuss this; I’ll open with my usual example of eternally torturing people for thought crimes because Jesus allegedly said it’s right to do so... so it’s “perfect justice”.

But this OP places the topic a lot wider than that, doesn’t it?[/b]
    The strong practice morality.
    The weak are content with religionism
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:45
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    The strong practice morality.
    The weak are content with religionism
    What makes a Christian strong, amigo? Do you know?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:46

Gee, here’s a shocker - the self-professed Christian is talking about Jesus torturing people again.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:53

Your initial post completely ignores the power and role of God’s Holy Spirit in indwelling a Christian.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:531 edit
    But this OP places the topic a lot wider than that, doesn’t it?
    Yes.

Is a thing moral because the gods say so, or do the gods say so because it is moral?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:56
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Gee, here’s a shocker - the self-professed Christian is talking about Jesus torturing people again.
    I don’t believe Jesus tortures people; sonship and others do.

You seem to be determined to miss every point made by every poster in this forum.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:57
    Your initial post completely ignores the power and role of God’s Holy Spirit in indwelling a Christian.
    You had an opportunity, just then, to introduce that idea and you completely blew it.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 23:02
    I don’t believe Jesus tortures people; sonship and others do.

You seem to be determined to miss every point made by every poster in this forum.
    You’re the one who keeps mentioning it. And as I said before, there is Biblical support for annihilationism. Also as I said before, a sinful human with a finite mind and limited understanding and perspective (that’d be you) is hardly in a position to properly question/judge a completely holy and omniscient God who has an eternal perspective.

Did you learn nothing from the book of Job? Or haven’t you read it?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 23:03
    You had an opportunity, just then, to introduce that idea and you completely blew it.
    It shouldn’t have been overlooked in the first place. And, to a Christian, the Holy Spirit indwelling a believer is not an idea, it’s reality.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 23:06
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Yes.

Is a thing moral because the gods say so, or do the gods say so because it is moral?
    Only a holy entity is qualified to decide what is moral. That would be the Christian God, who is the only true and living God.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 23:51
    It shouldn’t have been overlooked in the first place. And, to a Christian, the Holy Spirit indwelling a believer is not an idea, it’s reality.
    Feel free to comment on the thread topic as soon as you have caught your breath.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 23:52
    You’re the one who keeps mentioning it. And as I said before, there is Biblical support for annihilationism. Also as I said before, a sinful human with a finite mind and limited understanding and perspective (that’d be you) is hardly in a position to properly question/judge a completely holy and omniscient God who has an eternal perspective.

Did you learn nothing from the book of Job? Or haven’t you read it?
    Do you have anything to say about the thread topic?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 00:134 edits
    “Morality is doing the right thing regardless of what you are told...
    [/b]
    Right and wrong in religion is usually framed in terms of obeying and transgressing the supposedly revealed will of a supernatural being ~ take the Christian and Islamic notions of "sin" for example.

Morality is a set of ideas and standards about right or wrong that governs human interaction that does not require belief in a supernatural being and is the result of some combination of nature and nurture that is unique to every individual ~ while often broadly consistent across groups.

However, morality in this sense may well overlap with notions of "sin" and may be heavily influenced by religionism through upbringing and cultural norms.

Laws can be based on morality or religionism or both or, come to think of it, neither.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 00:21
    What makes a Christian strong, amigo? Do you know?
    Church Christians are generally weak minded people because they listen to the pastor and practice religiosity amigo.

Some people have this gift from God [and they come in all types, religions races etc], that makes them strong willed and determined to do what is right even if it kills them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree