1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 02:341 edit
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Church Christians are generally weak minded people because they listen to the pastor and practice religiosity amigo.

Some people have this gift from God [and they come in all types, religions races etc], that makes them strong willed and determined to do what is right even if it kills them.
    Some people have this gift from God [and they come in all types, religions races etc], that makes them strong willed and determined to do what is right even if it kills them.

The real "spirit of truth" manifested.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 02:42
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    [b]“Morality is doing the right thing regardless of what you are told...

Religionism is doing what you are told regardless of what is right”

Let's discuss this; I’ll open with my usual example of eternally torturing people for thought crimes because Jesus allegedly said it’s right to do so... so it’s “perfect justice”.

But this OP places the topic a lot wider than that, doesn’t it?[/b]
    Who provided this quote? I am curious.

You should check out Rushdoony's work as it relates to moralism. Moralism would be kind of what you describe in number one -- really just always focusing on some abstract sense of the "good for the sake of the good."

But there are a surprising amount of reasons why this isn't a very good basis for belief.

For one, how does anyone know what the basis of the good is without God? And if others define the good in drastically different ways, what purpose is this kind of moralism? V. I. Lenin was pursuing the good (and a veritable Utopia) through all of his deeds, yet they brought us only a pyramid of skulls.

Secondly... "religionism." I have to eyeroll at this.

We study the word of God because we believe it to be the source of all truth & wisdom, and through this study we become more enlightened. To literally follow God is to be more enlightened, wiser, and smarter.

It isn't to blindly execute a task.

We strive to make ourselves more like our savior and to shine His Light into the world -- not to simply execute some task.

It is not an accurate portrayal, at all, of how a conservative "religionist" would feel about this.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 02:48
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I don’t believe Jesus tortures people; sonship and others do.

You seem to be determined to miss every point made by every poster in this forum.
    lmfao. Humour goes a long way to understanding god
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 03:05
    Church Christians are generally weak minded people because they listen to the pastor and practice religiosity amigo.

What makes a Christian strong, amigo, is God’s Holy Spirit, which is given to anyone who accepts Jesus Christ via John 3:16 and Romans 10:9.

Your generalization about Christians who attend church is uninformed and absurd and your apparent belief that God gives His Holy Spirit to non-Christians is not at all supported by the Bible.

The more I read your posts, the more I realize that you don’t understand Christianity. You don’t acknowledge the Holy Spirit’s role in a believer’s life, you don’t seem to understand the purpose of Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross and you think good works make you righteous (in right standing with God) and that believing in Christ is not necessary for salvation.

Believe whatever you want, amigo, but don’t try to pass it off as Christianity.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 03:07
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    [b]Some people have this gift from God [and they come in all types, religions races etc], that makes them strong willed and determined to do what is right even if it kills them.

The real "spirit of truth" manifested.[/b]
    Sounds like you’re into some kind of mystical New Age type stuff.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 03:40

At my church, I generally sit next to a guy who is getting his PhD in comparative religious studies. I am usually sitting in front of a Diplomat from Georgia, a Greek business couple, a former owner & operator of several private schools in the US & Greece.

Our young adult group consists mostly of people getting their Master's & PhDs, mostly at prestigious universities. The least educated fellah is getting his bachelor's and speaks Russian, Uzbek, English, and Korean.

Usually we have long discussions that are deep into the theology and history of the Church.

This sounds a bit atypical, and I am willing to admit that, but this is what you will see more in the future as Christianity becomes more of a minority.

The exact opposite ofw hat you are saying.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 08:14
    Originally posted by @philokalia

You should check out Rushdoony's work as it relates to moralism. Moralism would be kind of what you describe in number one -- really just always focusing on some abstract sense of the "good for the sake of the good."

But there are a surprising amount of reasons why this isn't a very good basis for belief.
    ...[text shortened]... is not an accurate portrayal, at all, of how a conservative "religionist" would feel about this.
    H.L. Mencken, apparently according to Google. Have you heard of Google?

No thanks, this is a chat forum; I've no intention of following your lazy self-aggrandising, look at how well read I am, direction to "check out" anything.

But there are a surprising amount of reasons why this isn't a very good basis for belief. For one, how does anyone know what the basis of the good is without God?
    I suggest you "check out" all the threads of @Fetchmyjunk and @dj2becker who unsuccessfully relentlessly trolled this forum for months with this notion.

And if others define the good in drastically different ways, what purpose is this kind of moralism?
    I suppose it would be to benefit themselves, their loved ones, their community and the world in general.

V. I. Lenin was pursuing the good (and a veritable Utopia) through all of his deeds, yet they brought us only a pyramid of skulls.
    Are you trying to demonstrate to the forum how well read you are again?

Secondly... "religionism." I have to eyeroll at this.
    Do you, ok.

We study the word of God because we believe it to be the source of all truth & wisdom, and through this study we become more enlightened. To literally follow God is to be more enlightened, wiser, and smarter.
    Who is "we"? Do you have a citation for this "literal" claim you are making?

It isn't to blindly execute a task.
    Who said it was?

We strive to make ourselves more like our savior and to shine His Light into the world -- not to simply execute some task.
    Who is "we"?

It is not an accurate portrayal, at all, of how a conservative "religionist" would feel about this.
    What isn't? Are you as a "religionist" presumably speaking for all religionists or just yourself?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 08:26

That is quite a generalisation. Some Christians actually know their Bibles and will challenge their pastor if they are taught something unbiblical such as earning your own salvation. The weak minded people will just accept a false doctrine without actually examining what the Bible says.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 12:00
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    What makes a Christian strong, amigo, is God’s Holy Spirit, which is given to anyone who accepts Jesus Christ via John 3:16 and Romans 10:9.

Your generalization about Christians who attend church is uninformed and absurd and your apparent belief that God gives His Holy Spirit to non-Christians is not at all supported by the Bible.

The more I read y ...[text shortened]... or salvation.

Believe whatever you want, amigo, but don’t try to pass it off as Christianity.
    Im not a Christian.
    I am a follower of Jesus Christ.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 12:04
    Im not a Christian.
    I am a follower of Jesus Christ.
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was God in the flesh? Or do you think He was just a prophet?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 12:09
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    At my church, I generally sit next to a guy who is getting his PhD in comparative religious studies. I am usually sitting in front of a Diplomat from Georgia, a Greek business couple, a former owner & operator of several private schools in the US & Greece.

Our young adult group consists mostly of people getting their Master's & PhDs, mostly at prestig ...[text shortened]... uture as Christianity becomes more of a minority.

The exact opposite ofw hat you are saying.
    I have string of educational degrees and qualifications after my name. I have enjoyed the benefits of working in 4 professions over my career and in several countries, when many people struggle to master one. As for religion by age 15 I read the Bible about 10 times. But all of that means nothing if when I see Christ naked, hungry etc, I do nothing. Those who show love for their fellow man will enter the Kingdom of God. That is the promise of Jesus Christ and I believe that he is very serious about that, judging from the multitude of times that he said it. Many who do not understand this simply fact, and follow it, will not see the Kingdom of God. Tell your friends at church to leave the church and get out there and practice what Jesus said.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 12:21
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Do you believe Jesus Christ was God in the flesh? Or do you think He was just a prophet?
    Jesus is the Son of God.
    God is the Father of Jesus

There is a pecking order
    God
    Jesus
    Man
    Woman

Let me know if you want the reference.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 12:43
    Jesus is the Son of God.
    God is the Father of Jesus

There is a pecking order
    God
    Jesus
    Man
    Woman

Let me know if you want the reference.
    I agree with the pecking order if you’re referring to Jesus Christ while He was on earth in bodily form because He was fully man and fully God.

“Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.“

(Hebrews 2:7-9)

But Jesus Christ, like God the Father, has existed eternally. He was in heaven with God the Father before He came to earth.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”

(John 1:1-17)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree