1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 22:18
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Christianity is not the only religion in the world and shows no sign of having any particularly unique properties.
    Except for the whole 'God-in-three-Persons' thing. Oh, and the 'personal God who emptied Himself and became a man in order to shoulder the burden of sin and thereby redeem man from the slave market' thing. Those, and the 'imputation ...[text shortened]... closer to the song... too many people are competing for the lead these days.[/b]
    "If you studied evolution a bit you would find that the success of a species has little to do with it being "correct" or "true" but a lot more to do with survival ability and just plain dumb luck.
    Been there, done that. Measured it in the scales, and found it wanting. Scratch that: measured it in the scales, and found it ridiculously absurd, leaving me feeling like a complete fool for even going down the path in the first place."

I feel really sorry that you had such a poor quality teacher of the subject.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 22:49
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    "[b]If you studied evolution a bit you would find that the success of a species has little to do with it being "correct" or "true" but a lot more to do with survival ability and just plain dumb luck.
    Been there, done that. Measured it in the scales, and found it wanting. Scratch that: measured it in the scales, and found it ridiculously absurd, l ...[text shortened]... st place."

I feel really sorry that you had such a poor quality teacher of the subject.[/b]
    Baby, I've studied the best of the best. You name 'em, I've read 'em. The problem is the in-breeding. After awhile, they're all hitting the same notes because they're all from the same papa.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 01:06
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Baby, I've studied the best of the best. You name 'em, I've read 'em. The problem is the in-breeding. After awhile, they're all hitting the same notes because they're all from the same papa.
    I suppose it all matter what you go in looking for. Of course, Freaky, I cannot know what, if any, preconceptions you went in with. I guess I have my preconceptions of religion (rather than perhaps the religious - i've learned against that one!), and you have your preconceptions about the way things came to be the way they are. Truly, our own personal "truths" are subjective.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 21:20
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Do Christians (and others of faith) believe that without God there would be no moral truths? And that if god did not exist, then goodness and badness would not exist?
    For me , this is similar to asking if I believe that if there was no water in the universe would I still think that there could be oceans on the earth. I'm suprised you ask the question. It would be logically inconsistent of any Theist/Christian to argue otherwise.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 21:25
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    For me , this is similar to asking if I believe that if there was no water in the universe would I still think that there could be oceans on the earth. I'm suprised you ask the question. It would be logically inconsistent of any Theist/Christian to argue otherwise.
    we would die.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree