1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 14:00
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]That is why I have little use for philosophy of any kind. The argument is question begging and merely a means to get to a preordained end i.e. some sort of supernatural.

Not quite. Here's two links which propound Lewis's Argument from Reason (AFR) in more lucid terms than I can:

http://go.qci.tripod.com/Reppert-interview.htm
    http://apologetics ...[text shortened]... . In my humble opinion, reason, rather than mere mental activity is the product of the soul.[/b]
    If you find those links "lucid", you're obviously using the term in a manner I'm not familiar with. Perhaps you'd care to give your take on the AFR and not merely direct people to incomprehensible articles obviously designed to appeal to Christian philosophy majors.

So only some brain activity is attributable to the soul? If seems that physical brain damage can severely affect the reasoning ability of a human being; in particulary massive doses it can eliminate it. So can damage to your brain "de-soul" you? Or does it merely disrupt the mysterious and magical way that your soul animates your physical brain?
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 14:502 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Just because brains think, it does not follow that nothing exists outside of thought.
    It's the thinking part that we're discussing. According to No1, the brain cannot think; it streams along reacting to chemical and electrical impulses, themselves caused by, well, themselves. Independent thought does not exist! Tee-hee, silly, ain't it?[/b]
    Not silly at all. The fact physical descriptions of the workings of the brain are quite different from descriptions of mental phenomena (thinking, deciding, etc.) in no way requires that there are two substances, or even two things, to consider. I assume you know what "dual-aspect" theory is?

Why do people who read so much Christian "philosophy" not bother to read any other philosophy?
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 17:43
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Any primer on the philosophy of mind that gives a good account of different physicalist theories.

Donald Davidson's paper Mental Events, if you want to dip into one interesting theory of the relationship between the physical and the mental.

Specifically on the "argument from reason"? I'm not sure; it's as old as Socrates and held in approximat ...[text shortened]... r too often. I studied philosophy for some time, and don't think I ever used it.
    Thanks a ton. 🙂
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 17:45
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    John R. Searle's recent book "Mind: An introduction" is a vigorously written and pleasantly opinionated survey of the main philosophical theories about the mind-body link.
    Coincidentally it is John R. Searle's "Mind: A Brief Introduction" from Oxford University Press that I picked up earlier from a local library. Kinda uncanny, I’d say.
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 19:23
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Coincidentally it is John R. Searle's "Mind: A Brief Introduction" from Oxford University Press that I picked up earlier from a local library. Kinda uncanny, I’d say.
    Then I also recommend "Synchronicity: An acausal connecting principle" by Carl Jung.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 19:47
    Realtively speaking, there are no absolutes..........
  7. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 19:50
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    Realtively speaking, there are no absolutes..........
    That's true for you, but not for me.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '06 04:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree