1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 14:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    In the thread I posted in the debate forums, I brought up the fact that the gunman in Oregon was asking people if they were Christians. If they answered "yes", he put a bullet in their brain. If they answered "no", he put a bullet only in their leg. Obviously, he had issues with Christians, more so than other people.

One of the first school shootings th ...[text shortened]... an, the powers of darkness will still target people because humans are made in the image of God.
    I brought up the fact that the gunman in Oregon was asking people if they were Christians. If they answered "yes",
    he put a bullet in their brain. If they answered "no", he put a bullet only in their leg. Obviously, he had issues with Christians,
    more so than other people.

This is not a fact, this is an as yet unsubstantiated rumour. It may or may not be true,
    but if it is not true, it would not be the first incidence of such claims proving to be false...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/10/were_the_oregon_shooting_victims_christian_martyrs.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

It has been days now since the stories suggesting martyrdom in Roseburg, Oregon, were shared with the media, and there still have been no eyewitness anecdotes backing up the most dramatic detail: that Harper-Mercer not only asked victims if they were Christians but responded differently to people who said they were. It’s true that an online profile listed him belonging to a group called “Doesn’t Like Organized Religion” and that there are firsthand eyewitness accounts that he did ask about religion. But common sense alone is enough to raise an eyebrow at the narrative as it’s been described. It would take a truly extraordinary person to say “yes” after seeing a shooter respond like this once, and the implication that multiple martyrs gave their lives in this way seems unlikely to say the least.

More importantly, the eyewitnesses who have spoken to the press tell a more subtle and plausible story of a gunman who spoke with general hostility about Christianity but did not use it as a litmus test. Kortney Moore, an 18-year-old student who was at the school and said she saw her writing teacher get shot in the head, told the local newspaper that Harper-Mercer told people to get down on the ground and then to stand up and state their religion. But she didn’t say he was choosing victims based on their answers. .............

......It’s easy to be cynical about the eagerness of some members of a majority culture to latch onto rare stories of persecution within their own country. And it’s proper to be cynical about politicians and columnists who do so, sometimes without the evidence to back up their assertions (see Santorum’s description of the racially motivated Charleston, South Carolina, church attack as an “assault on our religious liberty&rdquo😉. But a more generous interpretation is that reading Christian martyrdom into mass shootings is a way of making sense out of the senseless, transforming the tragic into something purposeful and inspiring. “I just thank God she died that way,” one of Cassie Bernall’s friends from Bible study said soon after her death. Turning victims into heroic players in a larger drama about good versus evil gives meaning to their deaths. The larger truth, no matter what happened last week in Oregon, is much bleaker: They were victims of yet another in a long string of pointless and needless American massacres.

One of the first school shootings that kicked this trend off was in Columbine in Colorado. ...

Actually no, that is a myth.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122832/why-does-columbine-myth-about-martyr-cassie-bernall-persist

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/09/16/rick_santorum_supports_kim_davis_by_repeating_long_debunked_myth_about_columbine.html

Val was shot before her exchange about God. Dylan pointed his shotgun under her table and fired several rapid bursts, killing Lauren Townsend and injuring Val and another girl. Val was riddled with shotgun pellets up and down her arms and torso. Dylan walked away.

Val dropped to her knees, then her hands. Blood was streaming out of thirty-four separate wounds. “Oh my God, oh my God, don’t let me die,” she prayed.

Dylan turned around. This was too rich. “God? Do you believe in God?”

She wavered. Maybe she should keep her mouth shut. No. She would rather say it. “Yes. I believe in God.”

“Why?”

“Because I believe. And my parents brought me up that way.”

Dylan reloaded, but something distracted him. He walked off. Val crawled for shelter.

Once she made it out, Val was loaded into an ambulance, transported to St. Anthony’s, and rushed into surgery. Her parents, Mark and Shari, were waiting for her when she came to. Val started blurting out what had happened almost immediately. She made a full recovery, and her story never varied. Numerous witnesses corroborated her account.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 01:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The point is, I think whodey and his hyperbole is so over the top, that the serious point he probably wishes to make is all but lost or somewhat discredited. The Roman Empire? Chris Harper Mercer's mass murder is indicative of intolerance in the USA? His murders are an atrocity; the slaughters perpetrated by ISIS are atrocities on a much larger scale.

And ye ...[text shortened]... t me - and ignored completely the topic and the exchange that has gone on between me and whodey.
    Your response is pure and utter feces which a bull would emit.

You asked him a question to which you already knew the answer.

You're a troll.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

In true troll fashion, you attempt to misdirect and distract.

It's these types of "exchanges" which have laid Spirituality as a forum barren.
    Not that it was any type of oasis, but at least it wasn't earmarked with rampant disingenuous dialogue masquerading as honesty conversation.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 02:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH

You're a troll.

Not that it was any type of oasis, but at least it wasn't earmarked with rampant disingenuous dialogue masquerading as honesty conversation.

These are nothing but intemperate personal remarks. The thread is about whodey's Roman Empire/Christians thrown to the lions analogy and the meaning of Chris Harper Mercer's mass murder in terms of intolerance of Christians in the USA. You have posted a couple of times and yet offered nothing on these topics.

So, perhaps, with rancorous comments like yours, you have little justification lecturing anyone on the current atmosphere or nature of the Spirituality Forum.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 02:071 edit
    It seems Christianity is coming full circle back to the days when Romans threw Christians to the lions.
    Your Roman Empire analogy strikes me as hyperbolic and flattering to ISIS. I think a better historical analogy for ISIS would be, say, the para-military narcos in South America in the 1980-90s - like Pablo Escobar in Columbia, head of the Medellín Cartel, responsible for countless 1,000s of murders (almost all of them Christians, incidentally) in the course of his semi-militarized grab for power in line with his proto-narco-state ideology. I think history will see more clearly a parallel between vicious transnational criminal enterprises of these kinds, rather than the with Roman Empire.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 16:47

You're a troll.

Not that it was any type of oasis, ...[text shortened]... t least it wasn't earmarked with rampant disingenuous dialogue masquerading as honesty conversation.
    Thanks for this insight: "... which have laid Spirituality as a forum barren".
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 16:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Your response is pure and utter feces which a bull would emit.

You're a troll.

Not that it was any type of oasis, ...[text shortened]... le justification lecturing anyone on the current atmosphere or nature of the Spirituality Forum.
    So, perhaps, with rancorous comments like yours, you have little justification lecturing anyone on the current atmosphere or nature of the Spirituality Forum.
    I am not lecturing "anyone," I am directing my comments to you solely.
    No justification is required: you provide everything to prove the point.

You went after whodey on whether or not this situation was indicative of an increasing intolerance and specifically were intent on trying to show a contradiction.
    You're not after an honest conversation.
    You are clearly after controversy and attempt to justify the dismissal of another person's different perspective on the basis of supposed contradiction.

Your tactics are as puerile as your shortsighted goals.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 23:20
    [b]So, perhaps, with rancorous comments like yours, you have little justification lecturing anyone on the current atmosphere or nature of the Spirituality Forum.
    I am not lecturing "anyone," I am directing my comments to you solely.
    No justification is required: you provide everything to prove the point.

You went after whodey on whether or ...[text shortened]... the basis of supposed contradiction.

Your tactics are as puerile as your shortsighted goals.[/b]
    More personal remarks with nothing to do with the topic.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 23:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Do you think whodey's Roman Empire/ISIS analogy works? Do you agree with the meaning he is seeking to extract from Chris Harper Mercer's mass murder?
  9. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 18:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Gramps who has put the USA under seige
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 18:12
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    Gramps who has put the USA under seige
    So who elected you as judge of the internet?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 18:48
    http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/58293/20151002/12-christians-brutally-executed-by-isis-refused-to-renounce-name-of-christ-died-praying-reciting-lords-prayer.htm

I have to say, I have great respect and admiration for these Christians.

It seems Christianity is coming full circle back to the days when Romans threw Christians to the lions.

If and when the time comes, I can only hope that I have the same courage.
    Check this out...
    http://newsninja2012.com/wait-a-sec-did-putin-just-reveal-obama-is-funding-isis/
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    12 Oct '15 18:56
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Check this out...
    http://newsninja2012.com/wait-a-sec-did-putin-just-reveal-obama-is-funding-isis/
    What a tangled web we weave!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree