1. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 04:02
    I think it's Exodus 4: 24-26. Moses and his family are headed for Egypt as God instructed, to free His people from bondage. But an angel appears and is prepared to kill Moses because he hasn't performed the ritual of circumcision on his son. Moses' wife then grabs a knife, performs the circumcision herself and throws the foreskin down, proclaiming something about her "bloody husband".
    Then, the story of the Exodus that we all know resumes.
    Somehow, I just can't figure out the meaning behind those verses. Oddly enough, in over 40 years, I've never heard a sermon on it, either.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 08:271 edit
    one wouldn't hear sermons about beating an unfaithful wife to death with fuking big rocks either

best not to dwell too much on the bible. think of it as God's blog which he doesn't edit anymore
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 03:16
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I think it's Exodus 4: 24-26. Moses and his family are headed for Egypt as God instructed, to free His people from bondage. But an angel appears and is prepared to kill Moses because he hasn't performed the ritual of circumcision on his son. Moses' wife then grabs a knife, performs the circumcision herself and throws the foreskin down, proclaiming somet ...[text shortened]... d those verses. Oddly enough, in over 40 years, I've never heard a sermon on it, either.
    It's a very strangely worded part of the Bible.
  4. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 14:25
    I think it's Exodus 4: 24-26. Moses and his family are headed for Egypt as God instructed, to free His people from bondage. But an angel appears and is prepared to kill Moses because he hasn't performed the ritual of circumcision on his son. Moses' wife then grabs a knife, performs the circumcision herself and throws the foreskin down, proclaiming somet ...[text shortened]... d those verses. Oddly enough, in over 40 years, I've never heard a sermon on it, either.
    I'm pretty sure that God was angry with Moses for failing to keep the divine command given to Abraham in Genesis 17.
  5. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 17:56
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001
    I'm pretty sure that God was angry with Moses for failing to keep the divine command given to Abraham in Genesis 17.
    Wht does god require us to perform self modificational surgery if he's supposed to have designed us?
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 18:59
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001
    That makes sense. I just wonder about the timing. God spent all that time convincing Moses that he was the man who He chose to go to pharoah and to free the Israelites from bondage--then out of the blue, an angel appears, ready to kill the chosen guy. I would have expected maybe a stern warning beforehand, or a reminding rebuke, such as "HEY MOSES! Aren't you forgetting something?!"
  7. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 02:29
    That makes sense. I just wonder about the timing. God spent all that time convincing Moses that he was the man who He chose to go to pharoah and to free the Israelites from bondage--then out of the blue, an angel appears, ready to kill the chosen guy. I would have expected maybe a stern warning beforehand, or a reminding rebuke, such as "HEY MOSES! Aren't you forgetting something?!"
    The timing is part of the point. It's a reminder for the reader that god is holy, and that has consequences for those who serve him. No one is above the law.
    As explained in Leviticus, chapter 10. God burns to death two of Aaron's priestly sons for improperly presentong an offering. No warning there.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 07:31
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    The timing is part of the point. It's a reminder for the reader that god is holy, and that has consequences for those who serve him. No one is above the law.
    As explained in Leviticus, chapter 10. God burns to death two of Aaron's priestly sons for improperly presentong an offering. No warning there.
    Good point, Reg.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 07:33
    My vote goes to Gen. 19:30-38:

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father."

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, "Last night I lay with my father. Let's get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and lie with him so we can preserve our family line through our father." 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went and lay with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab [g] ; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi [h] ; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.

I'd love to see a pastor try to preach a sermon on this. "Well...ya know...that all sounds kinda icky. But hey, sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.... *fumble* *hem* *haw*"
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 08:373 edits
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    Yes, and not to lose sight of the fact that the issue with Moses was obedience. Seems that quite often

God's Sovereignty, Righteousness and Justice become lost in some foggy cloud of permissive soft love.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 09:06
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    My vote goes to Gen. 19:30-38:

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let's get our fa ...[text shortened]... kinda icky. But hey, sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.... *fumble* *hem* *haw*"
    Neither the OT nor the NT are 'politically correct' instruments of divine revelation. God's Word states events and conversations accurately,

without condoning content or dismissing them. How small would He be otherwise. How foolish to gloat over human failure. By the way, my

pastor has taught this passage, 'pisseth against the wall' and other generally avoided problematical chapters from the original languages,

🙂
  12. Gangster Land
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 13:34
    2 Kings 2: 23-24

23 He went up from there to Bethel, and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” 24 And he turned around, and when he saw them, he cursed them in the name of the Lord. And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys.

I wonder if Elisha was ever punished for being such a jerk?
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 13:45
    Originally posted by TheSkipper

23 He went up from there to Bethel, and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” 24 And he turned around, and when he saw them, he cursed them in the name of the Lord. And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys.

He was one of those prophets that it didn't pay to get on his wrong side. Poor Gehazi found that out too, but he kind of reminds me of the modern day medical insurance industry so I don't care what happened to him.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 15:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Neither the OT nor the NT are 'politically correct' instruments of divine revelation. God's Word states events and conversations accurately,

without condoning content or dismissing them. How small would He be otherwise. How foolish to gloat over human failure. By the way, my

pastor has taught this passage, 'pisseth against the wall' and other generally avoided problematical chapters from the original languages,

🙂
    Problematic? Oh no. Not in a church that teaches that we all go to hell by default.

I especially enjoy citing this verse when Christian politicians attempt to censor popular music/literature/art etc. due to offensive content.

Yes, sure...incest has gone on throughout our history. But why did the Genesis author(s) see fit to mention that particular case of it?

My favorite part is how they get away with it. A poor sap like Onan can't even get away with pulling out before climax. It seems God despises birth control more than incest.
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 23:04
    Originally posted by TheSkipper

When I showed that verse to my mother, a lifelong faithful Methodist, she declared that HER God would never do such a terrible thing.
    Good post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree