1. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 09:04
    if not stronger.

I know from experience, and not ancient books that account for not one word of living in today's society.

I don't need post-scriptums to live today, but the basic rules of thumb and principles.

Some of these were set eons ago, agreed. But many not, as today's society has different developments that could not have ever been seen by the authors of the past. E.g. do not shoot your neighbour may well have been penned, but wasn't.
    There is no relativity to passed doctrines unto today's life, give the simple rules which apply to every religion and philosophy..... don't kill, don't feck your neighbour's wife, and so on.

I can apply these basic principles to my life without the need of an ultimate being, because MAN created these rules for the benefit of society. I adhere to them too, which makes me as rich as you in your dogmas which you think are so special.

I don't believe in ludicrous ideas that are unproven, such as Vedics and Christian bibles, where I see mis-conjuncture between said same believers. Experience and proof are the way of living, having made mistakes and remembering to correct them as we go.

This is the true 'human spirit'.

-m. 😉
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 17:182 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    if not stronger.

I know from experience, and not ancient books that account for not one word of living in today's society.

I don't need post-scriptums to live today, but the basic rules of thumb and principles.

Some of these were set eons ago, agreed. But many not, as today's society has different developments that could not have ever been seen by t d remembering to correct them as we go.

This is the true 'human spirit'.

-m. 😉
    Stronger you think?

Don't take this wrong, but you can have it. Spiritual strength isn't a goal for the Christian. In fact the opposite is true.

Consider these ideas:

When I am weak He is strong. Or perhaps, We become fools that we may be wise.

The Christian faith is based on concepts that defy human reasoning. The "spiritual" truths taught in the Bible are really inverted, and can't be equated to just "human spirituality", which, as you have asserted, are of human origin.

Honestly, just because I believe I understand "spiritual truths" that come from a God you don't believe exists, doesn't mean I am stronger or smarter or wiser than you. It simply means I am equipped to perceive some truths that escape you. I make the claim the Bible makes, which is, that because I have "believed" and "trusted" in a message that says when I do believe, I am then indwelt with the "Spirit of Christ". Doors were opened. That's all.

Doesn't make me better or stronger or anything like that.

But Christ is above all.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 17:263 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    The Christian faith is based on concepts that defy human reasoning.
    This.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 19:30

This is not true.

The teachings of Christ contain all you need to know about living in this world.

Some of us are better at it than others (Gandhi, Mother Teresa). It doesn't mean the rest of us should stop trying.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 19:371 edit
    Stronger you think?

Don't take this wrong, but you can have it. Spiritual strength isn't a goal for the Christian. In fact the opposite is true.

Consider these ideas:

When I am weak He is strong. Or perhaps, We become fools that we may be wise.

The Christian faith is based on concepts that defy human reasoning. The "spiritual" truths taught in th make me better or stronger or anything like that.

But Christ is above all.
    Very good post there. I agree. I mean the paradox of it is true.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 00:31
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Very good post there. I agree. I mean the paradox of it is true.
    🙂
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 01:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is not true.

The teachings of Christ contain all you need to know about living in this world.

Some of us are better at it than others (Gandhi, Mother Teresa). It doesn't mean the rest of us should stop trying.
    Gandhi didn't follow christian teachings. He was Hindu and no teachings he followed would cause wars such as the Bible has. 🙄

More ignorance. Keep it up... at this rate I might bust a gut from laughing so much. 😵
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 01:53
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Gandhi didn't follow christian teachings. He was Hindu and no teachings he followed would cause wars such as the Bible has. 🙄

More ignorance. Keep it up... at this rate I might bust a gut from laughing so much. 😵
    The Bible hasn't caused any wars. Are you ignorant? Men cause wars. And they use God to justify them. Ignorance of the Bible may be responsible for some wars, and then only by default, but most wars are cause by greed and hate.

And by ignorance of the truth. Which is the same thing.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 01:56
    The Bible hasn't caused any wars. Are you ignorant? Men cause wars. And they use God to justify them. Ignorance of the Bible may be responsible for some wars, and then only by default, but most wars are cause by greed and hate.

And by ignorance of the truth. Which is the same thing.
    What about them many wars spoken of in the old testament?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 02:01
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    What about them many wars spoken of in the old testament?
    What about them?

War has been around forever in every nation everywhere.

The stories in the Bible represent a mere fraction.
  11. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 04:36
    More provocations from mikelom who for some reason feels like it's he and the Atheists who are under attack.

A provocateur playing the victim card.
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 05:31
    What about them?

War has been around forever in every nation everywhere.

You said it! Congrats. You're realising....

-m.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 05:34
    Originally posted by sumydid
    More provocations from mikelom who for some reason feels like it's he and the Atheists who are under attack.

A provocateur playing the victim card.
    I'll provocate if I wish, in your 'mere. opinion of what provocation is, until the mods get rid of Dasa from the science forum.

I would prefer the words ' give an opinion ' rather than provocate.

You obviously fear being ass-holed, as I am no victim of anything.

If you infer victimism then your rhetoric speaks for itself, as weak and gullible...

-m.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 05:45
    I don't believe in ludicrous ideas that are unproven, such as Vedics and Christian bibles, where I see mis-conjuncture between said same believers.
    Whatever you believe always going to be "unproven" Mike.

As for disagreement between Christian believers; we should not mistake debating and contending for the truth with alack of unity of the spirit.

As for disagreement between Christians and non-Christians Jesus said:

Matt 10:34-36
    “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword! I came to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A person's enemies will include members of his own family."
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 08:50
    [b]The stories in the Bible represent a mere fraction.

You said it! Congrats. You're realising....

-m.[/b]
    Misquote!

Whatever you do mike don't take me out of context. It's disingenuous. It makes me wonder whether you can understand what you read.

Now go stand in the corner till you realise your mistake. And you'll have to go to bed without dinner too. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree