1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 20:28
    Originally posted by Agerg
    My first answer to this one was garbage (saw a "not" before "imply" which was never actually there). Anyway I disagree with omnipotence implying omni-everything else. Being powerful enough to action any possible event does not imply a mind capable of thinking about such events.
    Even easier, why should omnipotence imply omni-benevolence!?
    I was thinking more of things like omnipresence and omniscience which are themselves powers so form a subset. Wisdom is a power, so an omnipotent entity would be infinitely wise or at least as wise as it is possible to be, and would therefore have a mind capable of thinking about anything. I'm not sure what omni-benevolence would be, either one is benevolent or not, why the need for "omni"?
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Jul '14 20:412 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I was thinking more of things like omnipresence and omniscience which are themselves powers so form a subset. Wisdom is a power, so an omnipotent entity would be infinitely wise or at least as wise as it is possible to be, and would therefore have a mind capable of thinking about anything. I'm not sure what omni-benevolence would be, either one is benevolent or not, why the need for "omni"?
    Why should an omnipotent entity have as much wisdom as it is possible to have!? omnipotence talks about the ability to bring about any event that is logically possible to be brought about. Omniscience on the other hand talks about the ability to know the truth of any proposition that can logically be known. One set is not contained within the other.

As for benevolence, I suppose that is down to the recipient of said benevolence or lack of it. One can act in such ways to be benevolent (to some degree) in some cases and to act in such ways to be cruel in others. By omni-benevolence I mean to say that an entity having this property is *always* maximally benevolent.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Jul '14 02:41
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm not sure what omni-benevolence would be, either one is benevolent or not, why the need for "omni"?
    I could give you $1 or $100.
    😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree