1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 15:32
    Since so many have complained about jaywill/sonship's LOOOOONNNG Posts I have decided to open up one for my shortest possible replies.

You may ask me any question or make any remark and I promise that if I do reply, I'll give you my shortest reply.

I know you all get weary with reading.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 15:37
    Originally posted by sonship
    Since so many have complained about jaywill/sonship's LOOOOONNNG Posts I have decided to open up one for my shortest possible replies.

You may ask me any question or make any remark and I promise that if I do reply, I'll give you my shortest reply.

Oh, shoot. You put in 'if I do reply'. Takes all the fun out of it. 😞
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:14
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Oh, shoot. You put in 'if I do reply'. Takes all the fun out of it. 😞
    maybe.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:19

Assuming, hypothetically for the purposes of discussion, that the observable universe must have
    been created by an intelligent being or beings... (and let's be clear, there is no reason to think this).

Why should anyone, given the available evidence, rationally think that that being was the god of
    the bible?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:222 edits

why do you think atheists demonstrate a kind of ,'claim to reason', when they are on the whole, so thoroughly unreasonable?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:241 edit

The following is an interesting question that Pawnokeyhole asked in this forum a long time ago. At the time, you really made a pig's ear of replying to it (under the handle 'jaywill' ). I'm interested to see how you respond now as compared to then:

Pawnokeyhole's question: "If Jesus's body were physically duplicated in every particular, would the mind, and possibly spirit, attached to the body of the duplicate Jesus be divine also?"

EDIT: Thread 96599
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:28
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Assuming, hypothetically for the purposes of discussion, that the observable universe must have
    been created by an intelligent being or beings... (and let's be clear, there is no reason to think this).

Why should anyone, given the available evidence, rationally think that that being was the god of
    the bible?
    Because your premise that "let's be clear, there is no reason to think this" is not a given.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:30
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why do you think atheists demonstrate a kind of ,'claim to reason', when they are on the whole, so thoroughly unreasonable?
    To save face I guess.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:31
    To save face I guess.
    ok, its an ego thing, i can respect that.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:34
    Originally posted by LemonJello

The following is an interesting question that Pawnokeyhole asked in this forum a long time ago. At the time, you really made a pig's ear of replying to it (under the handle 'jaywill' ). I'm interested to see how you respond ...[text shortened]... he body of the duplicate Jesus be divine also?"[/i]

EDIT: Thread 96599
    Don't know. Doubt it.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:36
    Don't know. Doubt it.
    Cool, thanks. But why do you doubt it?
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:371 edit
    I don't accept any of the premises of your question.

I don't think (or claim) that atheists are particularly more or less reasoned than anyone else.
    I generally think that on the whole, atheists should be better skeptics and better reasoned than they
    actually are.

I do say that atheism is the only rational position with regards to the existence of gods.
    But there are plenty of people who don't believe in gods for irrational reasons, and just as theists
    can be rational about things other than their religion, atheists can be irrational about things other
    than the existence of gods.

If rationality were a staircase then "not believing in gods" is somewhere around step one...
    There is an entire staircase to climb after that, and too many people take that first step and then stop.

Also, refusing to agree with you is not being unreasonable when it is you who is making the unreasonable
    claims/arguments.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:41
    Because your premise that [b]"let's be clear, there is no reason to think this" is not a given.[/b]
    I don't think you understood my hypothetical.

I was saying that for hypothetical purposes I take it as given that the universe WAS created
    by some intelligent being or beings.

And then asking "Why should anyone, given the available evidence, rationally think that that
    being was the god of the bible?"

My saying "let's be clear, there is no reason to think this" was not a premise of the question.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:45
    Well, someone had to pick it up off the table...god knows the theists keep refusing to use it. 😉
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 16:50
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Well, someone had to pick it up off the table...god knows the theists keep refusing to use it. 😉
    Theists can't use it... Using rationality turns them into atheists...

That's why they are so against it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree