1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 16:16
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    not really. there is the matter of advocating hate speech.

for example, there was a scumbag radio host which said a certain individual (who was "attacking jesus"😉 needs to be met in a dark alley by a couple special forces army dudes and beaten within an inch of his life.
    should something like that be protected by free speech?

""Racism" isn't ending ...[text shortened]... al repercussions of hate. i couldn't care less what a kkk member really thinks when he is alone.
    All you do with hate speech law is force the hate underground. I'd rather it be up front where we can keep an eye on it.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 16:28
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    All you do with hate speech law is force the hate underground. I'd rather it be up front where we can keep an eye on it.
    if someone has a pile of manure, i do not want him tossing it in my direction. i do not want it festering in the middle of the street just because some believe it is a right of theirs. a right to be an ashole to others.

people have died for freedom of speech. they have died because tyrants wanted no idea that could threaten their rule to appear. ideas became rigid, unchallenged. people suffered for the right to present opinions, to have them considered by their peers, criticized and maybe improved.

we now have fallen in the opposite extreme. for fear of restricting free speech, we allow every bile spiter, every mouth breather to present opinions. we have jenny mccarthy, a pair of tits that uses her public persona to influence other retards to not vaccinate their children. we have that fred phelps.

we should have free speech. but everyone should be accountable for their words, under fair laws.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 16:32
    we now have fallen in the opposite extreme. for fear of restricting free speech, we allow every bile spiter, every mouth breather to present opinions. we have jenny mccarthy, a pair of tits that uses her public persona to influence other retards to not vaccinate their children. we have that fred phelps.
    I'll just lay down a marker. If this were you laying out your stall to be chosen as a member of the committee that decides what I can and cannot say, I wouldn't vote for you. 🙂
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Mar '14 17:061 edit
    if someone has a pile of manure, i do not want him tossing it in my direction. i do not want it festering in the middle of the street just because some believe it is a right of theirs. a right to be an ashole to others.

people have died for freedom of speech. they have died because tyrants wanted no idea that could threaten their rule to appear. ideas ...[text shortened]... we should have free speech. but everyone should be accountable for their words, under fair laws.
    Just to be clear, I do not support harassment. When Westboro picketed at funerals, I think that crossed the line.

I support the standard exceptions to free speech, such as yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater, fighting words, etc.

As for Jenny, she got what she deserved - mass mockery. It was an example of free speech working beautifully. Instead of suppressing bad ideas, we expose them to contempt and ridicule. It is a good lesson for those who may be tempted to make asinine comments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree